Bypassed Cellphones: Biased Polls?

This looks like a desperate excuse.

Conservatives use cell phones - as well as the internet (which has surprised the left).

The point is the 18 to 30 crown mostly use cell phones, and have no land lines, and pollsters usually ignore cell phones. The majority of 18 to 30 crowd are liberal or vote for democrats. It is easy to see why the polls could be unbalanced.

Most Americans have cell phones - of all age demographics... I don't know of any 30 to 50 year olds in my immediate circle who don't have one... In fact, the 30-50 yr olds are more likely to vote than the 10-30 crowd... Those are important numbers to consider...

Without underlying data there's no way to prove any unbalance...

Not just "have a cell phone", but "have a cell phone only" in that they don't have a landline and don't pop up on the pollster's radar.

Like you said, it might be statistically insignificant, but I think it's a relatively point.

Considering that many polls over sample Democrats to begin with, I suspect it all comes out in the wash.

The point is the 18 to 30 crown mostly use cell phones, and have no land lines, and pollsters usually ignore cell phones. The majority of 18 to 30 crowd are liberal or vote for democrats. It is easy to see why the polls could be unbalanced.

Most Americans have cell phones - of all age demographics... I don't know of any 30 to 50 year olds in my immediate circle who don't have one... In fact, the 30-50 yr olds are more likely to vote than the 10-30 crowd... Those are important numbers to consider...

Without underlying data there's no way to prove any unbalance...

Not just "have a cell phone", but "have a cell phone only" in that they don't have a landline and don't pop up on the pollster's radar.

Like you said, it might be statistically insignificant, but I think it's a relatively point.

Without underlying data, we'd have to go into probability formulas... IMHO, I still think the number, afer all the factors I mentioned earlier (and some I prob left out), is statistically irrelevant...

I am over 30 and don't have a land line... I rarely used it and it was a complete waste of money.. As boedicca said, many are turning to this solution for financial reasons and it's not just the younglings...

I'm horrified at the thought of telemarketers and political groups hounding me on my mobile.

This type of "under represented" spin causes me to wonder if there will be legislation forthcoming to force the mobile phone companies to make our numbers available to pollsters in the interest of fairness.

I'm horrified at the thought of telemarketers and political groups hounding me on my mobile.

This type of "under represented" spin causes me to wonder if there will be legislation forthcoming to force the mobile phone companies to make our numbers available to pollsters in the interest of fairness.

It has been electoral bliss without the land line, lemme tell ya...:clap2:

I don't know any person my age who has access to a land-line phone. Even the couple friends I have still living with their parents don't have land-lines. Basic logic that this is going to generally skew against Democrats in polls because of demographics. I don't know why they're not polling with cell phones... unless it has something to do with a law banning the practice.

I don't know any person my age who has access to a land-line phone. Even the couple friends I have still living with their parents don't have land-lines. Basic logic that this is going to generally skew against Democrats in polls because of demographics. I don't know why they're not polling with cell phones... unless it has something to do with a law banning the practice.

Please support this with data....

BTW, I'm pretty sure there is a law against soliciting anything over cell phones... Don't know for sure, but if there weren't then we'd be getting calls...

I don't know of any conclusive data. It's a hypothesis on my part, but not set in stone.

BTW, I'm pretty sure there is a law against soliciting anything over cell phones... Don't know for sure, but if there weren't then we'd be getting calls...
Yeah I think there is. My number's on a blacklist type thing where telemarketers can't call. This probably includes pollsters, too. I like not getting telemarketers hassling me about vacuum cleaners and magazine subscriptions. But I wouldn't mind be contacted by legit pollsters, so it would be nice if there was a way to separate the two and allow the option to be contacted by both, one, or neither.

I don't know of any conclusive data. It's a hypothesis on my part, but not set in stone.
Ok... You said "basic logic" says this would skew to D, so I didn't read that as your opinion... Thanks for clarifying...

Yeah I think there is. My number's on a blacklist type thing where telemarketers can't call. This probably includes pollsters, too. I like not getting telemarketers hassling me about vacuum cleaners and magazine subscriptions. But I wouldn't mind be contacted by legit pollsters, so it would be nice if there was a way to separate the two and allow the option to be contacted by both, one, or neither.

An argument can be made that including cell surveys would skew to the older population, as they are more likely to answer a call from an unknown caller and stay on the line for a survey...

Think about it...:eusa_think:

This almost elderly republican voter hasn't had a landline in four years.

it isn't just liberal democrats in this postion

An argument can be made that including cell surveys would skew to the older population, as they are more likely to answer a call from an unknown caller and stay on the line for a survey...

Think about it...:eusa_think:

That's a good point.

Not to sound all arrogant or holier-than-thou, but... I'm not as apathetic about politics as most everyone else around my age. I would take part in a survey, but I think generally most people around my age wouldn't be as willing, or give the answers as much serious thought. Yes... arrogant, I know. :cool:

No matter if or how it would skew, I think giving the option to be contacted by pollsters on the cell would be good for at least opening up the amount of the population that can be contacted. How many people will have a land-line in like 20 or 30 years? Not many, I think.

Forum List

Back