Buying the college vote

Blame the colleges. Prices have gone up twice the rate of inflation plus some. Why is there no discussion on that?

Exactly :clap2:

Yup. Some Congresscritter should be questioning the colleges as to the sharp uptick in costs.

The Govt should get out of the college loan business. If kids want a college degree let em get a job and work for it.

Blame the colleges. Prices have gone up twice the rate of inflation plus some. Why is there no discussion on that?

Exactly :clap2:

Yup. Some Congresscritter should be questioning the colleges as to the sharp uptick in costs.

The Govt should get out of the college loan business. If kids want a college degree let em get a job and work for it.

That's how most of us I know did it, but it's toooooooo hard for many of todays youngsters who want someone else to pay for it, and everything else in their lives.

Good point.

And if this nation followed my proposal for UNIVERSAL SECONDARY OR TRADE EDUCATION, the price of education would certainly rise still faster, too.

What would really be happening (or at least another way to look at what it would do) is this:

The Aggregate amount of investment we'd be making into educating our next generation would be going up faster than for all other investments we make.

And THAT would be a good thing in my (never humble) opinion.

That's how most of us I know did it, but it's toooooooo hard for many of todays youngsters who want someone else to pay for it, and everything else in their lives.

I agree. My brother has three college degrees. Two in engineering and one in business management. He served in the military and got some help for the first degree but the other two he got on his own.

Loads of these kids today want a free ride. They don't care who works his ass off to provide the tax money just as long as its provided. Bush I did away with college loans because none of the graduates were paying them back. Clinton came in an reinstated em.

Oh yeah. I really feel like funding some kids college degree. NOT.

I think it's a good idea, a long overdue repair to a system that seriously needs repair

In fact, I don't think ithis FIX goes far enough.

It is criminally shortsighted of our society that our kids to come out post high school education burdened with extraordinary debts.

So why have the tax payer foot the bill?
WHy not have the colleges charge less tuition?

Good point.

And if this nation followed my proposal for UNIVERSAL SECONDARY OR TRADE EDUCATION, the price of education would certainly rise still faster, too.

What would really be happening (or at least another way to look at what it would do) is this:

The Aggregate amount of investment we'd be making into educating our next generation would be going up faster than for all other investments we make.

OK...so we overhaul the education system and make it simple for everyone to get a college degree.

SO now we will have 5 college degree unemployed vying for 2 college degree jobs....and 1 non degree person vying for 3 non degree jobs.

And ther end result? College degreed people doing non degreed jobs.....at the cost of the tax payer.

You know...there are many social programs that seem "honorable" on paper....but you must think about the long term ramifications.

Good point.

Should everyone go to college, or more accurately, should everyone who wants to go to college be accepted?

Good point.

Should everyone go to college, or more accurately, should everyone who wants to go to college be accepted?

anyone who wants to go to college can (money aside)....Community colleges accept pretty much anyone despite high school grades...as long as they earn a High School Degree.

Obama needs to go after the Universities and trade schools (trade schools cost as much). The product they offer is not that good and the excessive tuition is not going for a better faculty

Good point.

anyone who wants to go to college can (money aside)....Community colleges accept pretty much anyone despite high school grades...as long as they earn a High School Degree.
I should clarify.

Should anyone who wants to go to a four year degree college or university be accepted?

Who can take a sunrise
Sprinkle it in dew
Cover it in chocolate
and a miracle or two?

The candyman
The candyman can
The candyman can cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good

Who can take a rainbow
Wrap it is a sigh
Soak it in the sun
and make a strawberry lemon pie?

The candyman?

The candyman
The candyman can

Willy Wonka makes
Everything he bakes
Satisfying and delicious
Talk about your childhood wishes
You can even eat the dishes

Who can take tomorrow
Dip it in a deam
Seperate the sorrow
And collect up all the cream?

The candyman

Barrack Obama can

The candyman can cause he mixes it with love
And makes the world taste good
And the world tastes good cause the candyman thinks it should

[Thanks to [email protected] for lyrics]

As it is now, a good portion of college students do not capitalize properly on the college experience. To them it is paty, have fun...and, oh yeah...gotta go to class.
Many go for the 5 year program for 4 years of credits.
Make it cheaper, and easier to get in and things will get even worse.

Good point.

This is an excellent point. Colleges are now offering Remedial Reading and Writing for college freshman. I mean, "WTH?" Since we have so many grants, loans and scholarshgips available, colleges find that more kids can afford college whether they are actually college material in the first place. It's dumbing down education again.

Soon a degree won't mean anything unless it comes from an Ivy League school that still upholds it's standards.

Good point.

This is an excellent point. Colleges are now offering Remedial Reading and Writing for college freshman. I mean, "WTH?" Since we have so many grants, loans and scholarshgips available, colleges find that more kids can afford college whether they are actually college material in the first place. It's dumbing down education again.

Soon a degree won't mean anything unless it comes from an Ivy League school that still upholds it's standards.
Exactly!

And, it's already happened and the sequence of actions by the government (especially the Dept of Ed) and university administrators led to that inevitable fact - lower quality and higher cost. I got out of academia in 2006. My frustration with the low level of students was too much. (My frustration with other issues was too much, too.)

Exactly!

And, it's already happened and the sequence of actions by the government (especially the Dept of Ed) and university administrators led to that inevitable fact - lower quality and higher cost. I got out of academia in 2006. My frustration with the low level of students was too much. (My frustration with other issues was too much, too.)

It mirrors the housing issue.

Make it easier to get something that one does not necessarily deserve or earn, and it will all blow up in the end.

Progressives just dont want to learn. They want to implement "honorable" initiatives and not worry about the negative ramifications.

And when things blow up? They blame conservatives.

Who can take a sunrise
Sprinkle it in dew
Cover it in chocolate
and a miracle or two?

The candyman
The candyman can

Who can take a rainbow
Wrap it is a sigh
Soak it in the sun
and make a strawberry lemon pie?

The candyman?

The candyman
The candyman can

Willy Wonka makes
Everything he bakes
Satisfying and delicious
Talk about your childhood wishes
You can even eat the dishes

Who can take tomorrow
Dip it in a deam
Seperate the sorrow
And collect up all the cream?

The candyman

Barrack Obama can

The candyman can cause he mixes it with love
And makes the world taste good
And the world tastes good cause the candyman thinks it should

[Thanks to [email protected] for lyrics]

Excellent! That was going through my head, too! :lol:

Exactly!

It mirrors the housing issue.

Make it easier to get something that one does not necessarily deserve or earn, and it will all blow up in the end.

Progressives just dont want to learn. They want to implement "honorable" initiatives and not worry about the negative ramifications.

And when things blow up? They blame conservatives.
What this does is equilibrate higher education to the lowest common denominator.

This, IMHO, is by far, THE most tragic result of all of government's attempts to social engineer.

Forum List

Back