Buying the college vote

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Right now, graduates enrolled in the federal government’s student loan Income-Based Repayment Plan make monthly payments of 15 percent of their discretionary income — and all debt is forgiven after 25 years. Congress has already passed a law to change that program to require students to make payments of just 10 percent of their monthly discretionary income — and to forgive the loan after just 20 years. That law will take effect in 2014 — unless Obama has his way. The president would like to promote the start date to 2012. Hmm. What else happens in 2012?

Obama’s politically-motivated plan to help college students repay their loans « Hot Air

10% of DISCRETIONARY income; then 20 years - bye bye.

Discretionary income is money you have after you've paid off all of your bills. Discretionary income is income after subtracting taxes and normal expenses (such as rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, medical, transportation, property maintenance, child support, inflation, food and sundries, &c.) to maintain a certain standard of living.[5] It is the amount of an individual's income available for spending after the essentials (such as food, clothing, and shelter) have been taken care of:

Let's say, Johnny owes 120K and gets a decent job making 40K.

How much will he screw the taxpayers for?

Can someone help me with the math?

Shit this ain't nothing. Last week Biden was trying to convince a bunch of 4th Graders to go home and tell their parents to support Obama's Jobs bill.

These people have no shame, and they know they need the least informed Voters to come out in Masses to re-elect them.

What the hell are these kids protesting? Paying back a couple bucks a month? Seriously? Are they stupid or just too lazy to fill out the forms? If I am paying for my kids' college, can I get the same deal? Where's my fucking cookie?

This is infuriating to me.

Funny. I got a loan for my last semester of undergrad. My parents guaranteed me four years and it took me an extra semester.

The terms of that loan were that I had a six month grace period from graduation to get a job, etc., then interest started adding onto it and I had to make payments.

I had to go overseas for two years immediately after college. Came back, and my first paycheck in the states had that as a deduction - garnished. I didn't know what it was (had forgotten...it happens *blush*) and found out. So, I paid it off in one check to get it out of the way.

Boy, loans sure have changed.

Last edited:
Like Ron Paul said, when the Government makes everyone able to go to school you get massive debt and no jobs because you flood the market. This is why the free market works so well VS idiots trying to play God.

Right now, graduates enrolled in the federal government’s student loan Income-Based Repayment Plan make monthly payments of 15 percent of their discretionary income — and all debt is forgiven after 25 years. Congress has already passed a law to change that program to require students to make payments of just 10 percent of their monthly discretionary income — and to forgive the loan after just 20 years. That law will take effect in 2014 — unless Obama has his way. The president would like to promote the start date to 2012. Hmm. What else happens in 2012?

Obama’s politically-motivated plan to help college students repay their loans « Hot Air

10% of DISCRETIONARY income; then 20 years - bye bye.

Discretionary income is money you have after you've paid off all of your bills. Discretionary income is income after subtracting taxes and normal expenses (such as rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, medical, transportation, property maintenance, child support, inflation, food and sundries, &c.) to maintain a certain standard of living.[5] It is the amount of an individual's income available for spending after the essentials (such as food, clothing, and shelter) have been taken care of:

Let's say, Johnny owes 120K and gets a decent job making 40K.

How much will he screw the taxpayers for?

Can someone help me with the math?

If these idiots fall for this, they are stupid.

Today obama announced how he is going to save them all "a lot of money" on their Monthly payments.

So how much money? from 4.50 to 7.50 a month total.

Woot, talk about a wind fall.

Take this example: If Suzy Creamcheese gets into George Washington University and borrows from the government the requisite $212,000 to obtain an undergraduate degree, her repayment schedule will be based on what she earns. If Suzy opts to heed the president’s call for public service, and takes a job as a city social worker earning $25,000, her payments would be limited to $1,411 a year after the $10,890 of poverty-level income is subtracted from her total exposure.

Twenty years at that rate would have taxpayers recoup only $28,220 of their $212,000 loan to Suzy.

As in the housing bubble, cheap credit on easy terms increases the amount of money chasing the product (in this case a diploma) allowing schools to increase prices. This inflation makes it harder for middle-class families to afford paying their own tuitions, driving them into the government financing program, which, you guessed it, drives up costs further still.

The best part for Obama is that he can obligate the Treasury without Congressional approval thanks to the passage of what he described as a cost-saving measure in 2009.
Read more: Obama Taps Taxpayers For Student Stimulus | Fox News

Drudge Headline today: 'THE CANDY MAN: STIMULUS FOR STUDENTS"

I think it's a good idea, a long overdue repair to a system that seriously needs repair

In fact, I don't think ithis FIX goes far enough.

It is criminally shortsighted of our society that our kids to come out post high school education burdened with extraordinary debts.

I think it's a good idea, a long overdue repair to a system that seriously needs repair

It is criminally shortsighted of our society that our kids to come out post high school education burdened with extraordinary debts.

Then YOU donate all your disposable income to the Government to pay for the dead beats.

So now those of us that have raised our kids and paid for their education get to pay for some other kids education so they can go to work and charge us for their services because they deserve to make 6 figure salaries.

I'm not real worried about this however, few will qualify, few will make payments on time for 20 years. His promises to fix things always come with huge hoops to jump through with hundreds of strings attached. It sure sounds good though, especially to that student that is carrying a six figure student loan debt.

The government needs to get out of the loan business, for education and housing.

So don't get the loan, what ever happened to working your way through college?? Since when is it the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for someone else's education??

Exactly and as the article pointed out, this will just exacerbate the problem. The only people who will be able to attend will be the uber rich and poor. Fuck the middle class (oh and BTW you people will be picking up the tab) unbelievable.

Yep Obama's plan on the college loans is hot air. However the fact is that smaller govt and lower taxes means higher college costs.

Ain't that Obama just grand, he can grant this and grant that with the wave of his magic wand..

But this one is for the CHILDREEEEEEN folks, so it be ok.

Forum List

Back