Buying my first Rifle

I am looking to purchase my first long gun/rifle. The main reason is for large game hunting(ie deer), with a secondary reason of "home defense". I know, a long gun is not the most practical for home defense, therefore it is the secondary reason. What I am looking for is some advice as to what to buy. Here are some points to consider:

• Likely will be hunting in fairly heavily wooded areas, from an elevated stand.
  • Area has been hunted for man years.
  • Not an experienced shooter.
  • Price is a factor, would have a buget of say $300.
  • New or used are options.
  • Not sure if it matters, but I am under 6' and about 200 pounds, with an average build.
  • Will be installing a scope, if not included in purchase.
Any opinions will be appreciated and taken into consideration.
Thanks in advance.

An AK-47 is your best bet. All around reliable gun.

He wants it to hunt with primarily.
So accuracy is going to be a factor in his choice.

Fire enough rounds and you don't need accuracy, you need bigger magazines.

Oooookay......

going to buy a rifle , get either a .223 or if hunting deer its .308 depending on your state . Might as well stay with common military calibers in my opinion . 12gauge is fine for short range deer and home defense 'oldsoul' !!

I am looking to purchase my first long gun/rifle. The main reason is for large game hunting(ie deer), with a secondary reason of "home defense". I know, a long gun is not the most practical for home defense, therefore it is the secondary reason. What I am looking for is some advice as to what to buy. Here are some points to consider:

• Likely will be hunting in fairly heavily wooded areas, from an elevated stand.
  • Area has been hunted for man years.
  • Not an experienced shooter.
  • Price is a factor, would have a buget of say $300.
  • New or used are options.
  • Not sure if it matters, but I am under 6' and about 200 pounds, with an average build.
  • Will be installing a scope, if not included in purchase.
Any opinions will be appreciated and taken into consideration.
Thanks in advance.

An AK-47 is your best bet. All around reliable gun.

He wants it to hunt with primarily.
So accuracy is going to be a factor in his choice.

Fire enough rounds and you don't need accuracy, you need bigger magazines.

not so much

aim small miss small

and just wanted to mention that depending on your state .223 MIGHT be ok for deer but that's just what I have 'heard' and I'm not expert on all state laws OldSoul' .

Forum List

Back