Buying my first Rifle

12 Gage pump shoot gun,good slugs and some reasonable skills,your good out to 100 yards,most deer are killed at much less range,when at home,00 buck shot or # 4s for home protection.

I'd never consider a shotgun for deer.

They actually work well for short shots you find in heavy dense woods.
And if you use a slug(recommended)they have huge knockdown power.

A 30-30 is a good rifle for deer. Not too heavy, but effective for deer and elk. Should be able to pick one up used in your price range. IMO, a 30-30 is more accurate and a 30-06

H&R Ultra Rifles

At one time an H&R receiver that I could interchange barrels in 12Ga., 29Ga., or .30-30 for my Son's first gun. His Son's first gun was one in 20Ga. and later another in .280 Rem. that has taken a lot of deer since. My first muzzle loading deer fell to an H&R in .58 cal.

The only thing I can think of that could hunt fair sized game and be used practically for home defense is a shotgun. I prefer a 12 guage. You can use buckshot or slugs for the game, and bird shot or even target loads for home invaders. AND the are less expensive than rifles. I think I only paid $350-$400 for my Mossburg.

12 Gage pump shoot gun,good slugs and some reasonable skills,your good out to 100 yards,most deer are killed at much less range,when at home,00 buck shot or # 4s for home protection.

I have killed many deer with a shot gun,both 12 and 20 ga .I will say a neck shot with a 270, 300 win or equal kills them where they stand,I have had deer run a fair distance, even with good heart lung shots with shotgun slugs.for years that's all that was legal to use in much of NY

Russian made Mosin-Nagant. You can buy it on the internet for about $150. The Soviets defeated Germany with it, so I suspect that it will take out a deer. The market is flooded with them, because the Soviets were warehousing them for 100 years, and suddenly, put them all up for sale. Ammo is cheap, too.

Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R Very Good Condition
After the fall of the Soviet union our local discount store were selling them for 30 bucks each , I bought 3

Russian made Mosin-Nagant. You can buy it on the internet for about $150. The Soviets defeated Germany with it, so I suspect that it will take out a deer. The market is flooded with them, because the Soviets were warehousing them for 100 years, and suddenly, put them all up for sale. Ammo is cheap, too.

Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R Very Good Condition
After the fall of the Soviet union our local discount store were selling them for 30 bucks each , I bought 3

I bought two. A 1926 Soviet Union rifle, and a 1954 Chinese Carbine model. I paid $120 each for them, and I see that the price is starting to go up. They are powerful rifles, and extremely accurate.

They are both plenty powerful and accurate. But there are problems if you want to mount a scope. There are also safety concerns.

I have killed many deer with a shot gun,both 12 and 20 ga .I will say a neck shot with a 270, 300 win or equal kills them where they stand,I have had deer run a fair distance, even with good heart lung shots with shotgun slugs.for years that's all that was legal to use in much of NY

the most deer i have shot has been with a bow

then slugs

then muzzle loader

then high power

and pistola

--LOL

crossbow next

Very hard to find a decent rifle for $300.

Save your money.
What would you say is a better budget then? $400, $500. I really don't know. I have seen used for around $250-$300. Are you saying these should be avoided?
I don't concur. Right now is the best time to buy a rifle. I suggest gunbroker.com.

They are now relatively inexpensive.

Marlin 336 lever action 30-30...buy them all day long off Armslist for $300. Want a new one...Rossi Rio Grand $369 New in 30-30.

Wal-Mart still sells the Remington 700 ADL in any popular hunting caliber for about the same...I have the 30-06...love it. One of the most upgradable rifles in the world. Do NOT buy the 770...or 783...or anything else in bolt action entry level Remington.

Shotgun is an excellent choice as well. A good used pump action Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 can be had for $150. Both companies offer easily owner swappable rifled slug barrels for sabot for $50 to $100.

Want a new one? H&R makes a 28 inch Pardner Pump ( Remington 870 Clone) built like a tank...$199 New...I own one...great gun. It takes win-chokes. DON'T buy a hunting shotgun that won't take screw in chokes.

If you're only going to have one gun...make it a shotgun.

Last edited:
Marlin 336 lever action 30-30...buy them all day long off Armslist for $300. Want a new one...Rossi Rio Grand $369 New in 30-30.

Wal-Mart still sells the Remington 700 ADL in any popular hunting caliber for about the same...I have the 30-06...love it. One of the most upgradable rifles in the world. Do NOT buy the 770...or 783...or anything else in bolt action entry level Remington.

Shotgun is an excellent choice as well. A good used pump action Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 can be had for $150. Both companies offer easily owner swappable rifled slug barrels for sabot for $50 to $100.

Want a new one? H&R makes a 28 inch Pardner Pump ( Remington 870 Clone) built like a tank...$199 New...I own one...great gun. It takes win-chokes. DON'T buy a hunting shotgun that won't take screw in chokes.

If you're only going to have one gun...make it a shotgun.
marlin 336 For Sale – Buy marlin 336 Online at GunBroker.com

If you buy online try Armslist and look for a rifle nearby and in your state.
That way you dont have to worry about the seller having to deal with the paper work when selling a gun to someone from across state lines.
And you can take a look at it in person before purchasing.

I am looking to purchase my first long gun/rifle. The main reason is for large game hunting(ie deer), with a secondary reason of "home defense". I know, a long gun is not the most practical for home defense, therefore it is the secondary reason. What I am looking for is some advice as to what to buy. Here are some points to consider:

• Likely will be hunting in fairly heavily wooded areas, from an elevated stand.
  • Area has been hunted for man years.
  • Not an experienced shooter.
  • Price is a factor, would have a buget of say $300.
  • New or used are options.
  • Not sure if it matters, but I am under 6' and about 200 pounds, with an average build.
  • Will be installing a scope, if not included in purchase.
Any opinions will be appreciated and taken into consideration.
Thanks in advance.

An AK-47 is your best bet. All around reliable gun.

I am looking to purchase my first long gun/rifle. The main reason is for large game hunting(ie deer), with a secondary reason of "home defense". I know, a long gun is not the most practical for home defense, therefore it is the secondary reason. What I am looking for is some advice as to what to buy. Here are some points to consider:

• Likely will be hunting in fairly heavily wooded areas, from an elevated stand.
  • Not sure if it matters, but I am under 6' and about 200 pounds, with an average build.
Thanks in advance.

He wants it to hunt with primarily.
So accuracy is going to be a factor in his choice.

Thanks in advance.

He wants it to hunt with primarily.
So accuracy is going to be a factor in his choice.

Fire enough rounds and you don't need accuracy, you need bigger magazines.

Forum List

Back