buying gold?

Why buy anything when it is at a high?

I'll go one step further. If you reason for purchasing gold is to hedge against devaluation of the dollar, why not purchase other commodities (oil, for example) or a currency which you expect to have less devaluation.

Many wise investors are doing just that. Having the majority of your assets tied up in just one commodity, or just one industry, or just one currency, is dangerous.

The US Dollar is no longer the guaranteed bet it once was.

Last edited:

I'll go one step further. If you reason for purchasing gold is to hedge against devaluation of the dollar, why not purchase other commodities (oil, for example) or a currency which you expect to have less devaluation.

Many wise investors are doing just that. Having the majority of your assets tied up in just one commodity, or just one industry, or just one currency, is dangerous.

what about silver?

what about silver?

When in doubt, consult the experts:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlqn_Hjyi8]YouTube - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer "Silver and Gold"[/ame]

Yeah, I agree. Sounds like speculation. Even if Gold goes higher, how much higher and could you beat that with any other investment?

Hard to say.
Look at the overhang of dollars in the money supply. The only way the price of gold will go down is for the Fed to start tightening and reduce this supply. The Fed has a terrible record of doing that, preferring to leave credit too easy until the bubble bursts. This was the entire reason for the current economic crisis. It had nothing to do with Bush, except that he appointed Bernanke.
Of course Obama will make it worse. He will pressure Bernanke not to tighten until after the midterm elections. So I would say gold is a good bet through 2010.

It's about time you said something that made sense.

Coins can trade at 10%-15% above the spot price.

The bid/ask spread, the costs of storage, and illiquidity all make owing the physical less desirable than holding exchange traded gold IMHO.

I've had no problems liquidating physical metal. The current demand has made physical metal about as liquid as cash itself these days.

I can flip a coin on ebay in the same amount of time I can flip a stock and transfer the cash proceeds from the stock to my bank account.

I'm always a fan of a good commodity basket ETF in times of inflation, but the reason for gold over another currency is that gold performs virtually universally across the currency board. Gold doesn't just hedge against the USD, it hedges against losses in ANY currency. Playing Forex is risky during currency debasement periods, especially lately when you just can't predict how other international central banks are going to treat their cuirrencies. Last year it was thought that the Dollar would collapse against all other currencies, until all the other central banks debased almost in lockstep with us.

In a time like that, what beats gold?

I'm always a fan of a good commodity basket ETF in times of inflation, but the reason for gold over another currency is that gold performs virtually universally across the currency board. Gold doesn't just hedge against the USD, it hedges against losses in ANY currency. Playing Forex is risky during currency debasement periods, especially lately when you just can't predict how other international central banks are going to treat their cuirrencies. Last year it was thought that the Dollar would collapse against all other currencies, until all the other central banks debased almost in lockstep with us.

Uranium!

:lol::lol::lol:

Uranium!

:lol::lol::lol:

Doc, you don't just walk into a store and...and buy uranium! :lol:

Forum List

Back