Buying a house.

Well you need a down payment.

And you need to be able to pay off the loan in your lifetime.

It needs to be in a safe area not surrounded by Negroes and Mexicans.

Move to Uniondale, NY or Roosevelt, NY or Hempstead, NY and you won't need a down payment.
Yes, all minority towns.

i was surrounded by Mexicans were i was,and we had,according to the cops anyway,a pretty good neighborhood low crime rate wise....

yiosthey has trouble with interpersonal relations, based on what is posted on the Board.

Crixus, buying a house can be difficult, particularly the first one. A good down, a good credit score, and a decent job all help tremendously.

My neighborhood is mostly Asians and Hispanics with a few white households and a handful of black households. I've never seen the police in my neighborhood once.

If it ain't a brand new home it's imperative you get a thorough house inspection performed. And that starts with finding a good professional inspector. Like lots of other industries, there's good and bad ones selling their services these days, so do some homework checking their references and ratings.

That said, a reliable, reputable, thoroughly professional, etc. inspector's report isn't a 100% guarantee. Things might still crop up down the road, but you've got much better odds against that if you've hired a good one.

Shop for your mortgage like a madman. You can negotiate with the banks. If you don't, you're paying too much.

Interest.com, bankrate.com will show you current rates at various banks in your area.

Do a 15 year if at all possible. Do your total cost of credit calculations to see the difference. If that doesn't work a 20 might.

Remember, you don't make money when you sell, you make it when you buy. Shop until you find the right one. It can suck, but keep looking.

Oh, last thing, the real estate agent. Clearly ask whoever is showing you properties who they represent. If the answer is anything but you, it's the wrong answer. You want someone that will negotiate the deal with your interests in mind, no dual agency agreements or dealing with the sellers agent. That said, they usually all get paid on commission, so keep in mind that they make more if the house sells for more.

Good luck.

Last edited:
remember unless you have a buyers agent...all agents work for seller....the only person working for you is the home inspector....find a good one...one that has great insurance and will pay out when needed....

remember unless you have a buyers agent...all agents work for seller....the only person working for you is the home inspector....find a good one...one that has great insurance and will pay out when needed....

Exactly. The seller's agent has fiduciary responsibility to the seller only, a dual agent will (supposedly) ride the fence. Only a person who is your agent actually works for you.

a dual agent still has a fiduciary duty to the seller....i used a dual agent for a house sell...it went okay ....she came to me with the buyer...

contracting a buyer's agent is worth the money....or simply doing your own research...it is all online now...i would never discourage anyone from cutting out the agents...

Took me about 3 years last time I moved to find land and a house I liked..
That's why I bought the land and then built a house

When we retire and move I will so the same thing that way I know I'll have the house I want

Forum List

Back