Buy Silver to Crash JP Morgan

jodylee

Jan 26, 2007
Buy Silver to Crash JP Morgan Due to its Giant Short Position.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCM7rMIqxmk[/ame]

Why the fuck would I buy silver to hurt JP Morgan? Why do I care?

If I'm going to buy silver, its because I want to make money. And if by making money, that means JP Morgan has to cover its shorts, so be it. But I'm not going to do anything because some petty conspiracy theorist wants me to.

If I'm going to buy silver, its because I want to make money. And if by making money, that means JP Morgan has to cover its shorts, so be it. But I'm not going to do anything because some petty conspiracy theorist wants me to.
I would think structural leverage from short coverage would make this a good trade, why do you reason that that's an error? Just fishing for information. I don't think it is smart to bet against JPM's risk management team without really solid information but do you have reason to believe that they may have overbought their call hedges and leaked the trade or something like that?

Why do you care if a bohemoth that takes risks with our aggregate economy takes liberties with your silver positions?

Do we care if they kill Bear Stearns or Lehman bros in pursuit of profits?

Do we care if they drive nation states into default in pursuit of profits?

Have we lost our minds allowing this pillaging of the economy to occur? The economy that we all rely on for bread, employment and gas?

Clearly when bohemoths like JP Morgan take massive short positions on silver they intend to first cause a bubble and then profit on it's collapse.

This is everything that George Soros the investor is vilified for.

Last edited:

I would think structural leverage from short coverage would make this a good trade, why do you reason that that's an error? Just fishing for information. I don't think it is smart to bet against JPM's risk management team without really solid information but do you have reason to believe that they may have overbought their call hedges and leaked the trade or something like that?

I think a short covering explosion would make a great trade. That's as good of a reason for silver to go to $100 as any.

My point is that I'm not going to do something just to hurt anyone. I used to talk to the JP Morgan precious metals analyst semi-regularly, and I have a lot of respect for his group. But there is this belief in conspiratorial circles that JP Morgan and a few other banks are manipulating the prices of silver and gold. I have no idea if that's true or not - a former Merrill Lynch gold prop trader told me it was true. But if I'm going to do something, I'm not going to do it out of malice. I'll do it because its part of trading, and we all understand that.

Why do you care if a bohemoth that takes risks with our aggregate economy takes liberties with your silver positions?

Have we lost our minds allowing this pillaging of the economy to occur? The economy that we all rely on for bread, employment and gas?

Clearly when bohemoths like JP Morgan take massive short positions on silver they intend to first cause a bubble and then profit on it's collapse.

Well, that's a new one.

I always heard that JP Morgan was purposefully suppressing the price of silver and gold at the behest of the government.

I guess there can never be enough conspiracy theories.

Well, that's a new one.

I always heard that JP Morgan was purposefully suppressing the price of silver and gold at the behest of the government.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

They have massive short positions! The only plausible profit motive explanation for that is to cause a bubble and then dash it. First you facilitate long positions by offering a counter party to their bets then you go whole hog and drive the price down realizing an actual return on your short position.

When you can get all the money you want at .25% interest these things are possible.

Well, that's a new one.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

They have massive short positions! The only plausible profit motive explanation for that is to cause a bubble and then dash it. First you facilitate long positions by offering a counter party to their bets then you go whole hog and drive the price down realizing an actual return on your short position.

When you can get all the money you want at .25% interest these things are possible.

They've had a massive short position forever. They are a dealer, playing the spread between financing and storage costs. They lend their inventory out and hedge themselves in the futures market.

The long-standing conspiracy theory is that JP Morgan is acting as an agent of the government to suppress the price of gold and silver to cover the government's reckless creation of fiat money, and that the gold and silver supposedly held in vaults isn't there because it has all been lent out several times over. I have no opinion on whether or not that is true - probably not - but this has been the charge since when silver was $6, not $26.

They've had a massive short position forever. They are a dealer, playing the spread between financing and storage costs. They lend their inventory out and hedge themselves in the futures market.

The long-standing conspiracy theory is that JP Morgan is acting as an agent of the government to suppress the price of gold and silver to cover the government's reckless creation of fiat money, and that the gold and silver supposedly held in vaults isn't there because it has all been lent out several times over. I have no opinion on whether or not that is true - probably not - but this has been the charge since when silver was $6, not $26.
The bullion banks theory goes back to the Nixon administration. JPM has been the Treasury's bank since the 1830s when it was based in London and run by George Peabody. That role has never really changed so I would not be surprised if that theory was true.

Well, that's a new one.

CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

Come on, holding a short position forever is bound to lose money. Is JP Morgan in business to lose money?

The US treasury has been cutting JPM deals since at least the 1870s precious metals corner and the London office's rescue of the French bond market in the aftermath of the Franco-Prussian War. JPM rarely refuses a rescue request from treasury not reuniting the firm by taking over Morgan Stanley in 2008 was one of the few exceptions.

Come on, holding a short position forever is bound to lose money. Is JP Morgan in business to lose money?

Not if they are lending it out at a higher lease rate than the cost of the future. If they are hedged, then they will always make a profit no matter the direction of the market.

If the risk free rate of the future is 1% and the lease rate is 2%, JP Morgan will always make 1% in what is theoretically arbitrage profits.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back