Buy American

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
My first car was a 55 Chevy, the love of a teenager's life, my latest a supercharged Buick. As someone who tries hard to buy American, I cannot even feel comfortable driving in a foreign car, yet we owned one in our poor days. Sounds weird but I figure we are all on this ship together and while a new VW camper would be nice....LOL

7 myths about Detroit automakers

By Mark Phelan • Free Press Columnist • December 5, 2008

"The debate over aid to the Detroit-based automakers is awash with half-truths and misrepresentations that are endlessly repeated by everyone from members of Congress to journalists. Here are seven myths about the companies and their vehicles, and the reality in each case."

Myth No. 1: Nobody buys their vehicles
7 myths about Detroit automakers | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Wow, interesting...ESPECIALLY this one:

Myth No. 7: Their union workers are lazy and overpaid

Reality: Chrysler tied Toyota as the most productive automaker in North America this year, according to the Harbour Report on manufacturing, which measures the amount of work done per employee. Eight of the 10 most productive vehicle assembly plants in North America belong to Chrysler, Ford or GM.

The oft-cited $70-an-hour wage and benefit figure for UAW workers inaccurately adds benefits that millions of retirees get to the pay of current workers, but divides the total only by current employees. That's like assuming you get your parents' retirement and Social Security benefits in addition to your own income.

Hourly pay for assembly line workers tops out around $28; benefits add about $14. New hires at the Detroit Three get $14 an hour. There's no pension or health care when they retire, but benefits raise their total hourly compensation to $29 while they're working. UAW wages are now comparable with Toyota workers, according to a Free Press analysis.

I don't know folks.

$56,000 a year doesn't strike me as a whole lot of money for working on a production line.

If you've ever worked in a factory where your work flow was decided by a machine, you'd know that can be a damned hard job.

I drive a FORD.

I doubt I'll ever buy another foreign car.

I'd never buy another foreign made manufactured good if I could do it.

Sadly, thanks to our incredibly short sighted free trade policies, most of the consumer electronics, clothes, shoes, machines and tools are not longer made here, so that's not really an option.

My family has always had American cars, but when I moved away and needed a car my dad bought me a Honda. :eek: It does get good mileage and I like it but I was really surprised I didn't know he even knew companies besides Chevy existed.

I drove foreign cars on and off for years, too.

I liked some of them well enough.Some of them were crap, some of them not.

I had an '87 Toyota Camry wagon that was truly a wonderful car.

Never again, though, if I can possibly avoid it.

If the government keeps giving our money to American car makers, those car makers should give me a car.

Why the hell would I give what little money I get to keep after the fucking government gives it all away to mismanaged companies to those very same companies that took my money because they were mismanaged after they've already picked my fucking pocket?

I will never buy a new American made car again. I'll buy used where the fucking auto maker who I was forced to bail out won't make a dime on the sale and then I'll buy after market parts not dealer parts or I'll buy a new foreign car.

Last edited:
I have a Toyota Camry.

It was built in Georgetown, Kentucky.

My next car will be electric, I hope.

Screw American made vehicles. Until they produce a product that’s BETTER than their competitors produce, at a price that’s equal to or LESS than their competitors charge, I’ll never buy another American made vehicle. I’m done with these assholes.

We own several vehicles and the best of them is my wife’s Toyota.

I drive a GMC ¾ ton PU. It’s a decent truck but it’s also young and hasn’t past the test of time. I’ve already decided that my next truck will be a Toyota Tundra, because I’m not going to keep paying more and getting less. We also have several business related utility vehicles (trucks and vans), all made by GM and two 2002 Olds Alero’s that we use for our business. The Oldsmobile’s are the worst POS’s we’ve ever owned. GM WILL NOT honor defects or issue recalls on defective parts on these cars. For example, we’ve spend over $1,000 just on electric windows on these cars and between the 2 of them only 4 of the 8 windows work.

Yesterday, my wife took one of these POS’s to pickup some supplies for one of our crews. The car wouldn’t start when she went to leave. We had to have it towed to the shop. The only thing that’s “for sure” about this latest drama is that it will cost $500 or more to get that POS out of the shop. It always does.

Until recently I’ve always bought American vehicles because I though it was the right thing to do. My new attitude is: Why should I pay more for an inferior American made vehicle when I can pay less and get a better vehicle?

If the government keeps giving our money to American car makers, those car makers should give me a car.

And you think all the tax incentives to build here, the lack of pensions and medical don't matter, and the fact foreign nations support their auto industry doesn't help them? Stay in your fog if it makes you comfortable.

Screw American made vehicles. Until they produce a product that’s BETTER than their competitors produce, at a price that’s equal to or LESS than their competitors charge, I’ll never buy another American made vehicle.

You obviously didn't read the piece nor own American, but that said why is it conservative republicans like yourself hate (maybe too strong a word) American products and American workers? I've never understood that ideological stance given you're usually nationalistic to a fault when it comes to our country's actions and values?

So then if the fucking government is going to use taxpayer money to quasi nationalize auto production why not do it all the way?

let's all petition the government to put the big three out of business, kick ALL foreign car companies the fuck out of the country and stop all imports. require everyone to pay a portion of their income, on a progressive scale of course, to the new National car co.

In return the government can give us all a cookie cutter shoebox on wheels. Everyone will get the same POS car so no one will ever be envious of anyone else. Our country will flourish and we will all be secure in the knowledge that the US car co will be in business forever and ever AMEN.

Umm...if I buy a Toyota built in America am I buying American? How about a Chrysler built in Germany?

It all gets so confusing...

You obviously didn't read the piece nor own American, but that said why is it conservative republicans like yourself hate (maybe too strong a word) American products and American workers? I've never understood that ideological stance given you're usually nationalistic to a fault when it comes to our country's actions and values?

You're right about one thing. I didn't read the atricle. I don't need too. I know that American made cars are peices of shit.

I love it when you fucking idiots on this board purport to know what I own. Oh, that's right, only people who don't have 2 cents to rub together can use the internet. Damn, I almost forgot.

Umm...if I buy a Toyota built in America am I buying American?
Nope.

You're buying a car made in Germany and merely assembled in the USA. Wasn't it you who was going to check to see what percentage of foreigh brand cars made here were made from parts made in the USA?

I recall somebody was going to get back to us with reports on what they could find on that question.

I'd be curious about that myself.

How about a Chrysler built in Germany?

Not a clue

It all gets so confusing...

I share your pain.

Screw American made vehicles. Until they produce a product that’s BETTER than their competitors produce, at a price that’s equal to or LESS than their competitors charge, I’ll never buy another American made vehicle. I’m done with these assholes.

We own several vehicles and the best of them is my wife’s Toyota.

I drive a GMC ¾ ton PU. It’s a decent truck but it’s also young and hasn’t past the test of time. I’ve already decided that my next truck will be a Toyota Tundra, because I’m not going to keep paying more and getting less. We also have several business related utility vehicles (trucks and vans), all made by GM and two 2002 Olds Alero’s that we use for our business. The Oldsmobile’s are the worst POS’s we’ve ever owned. GM WILL NOT honor defects or issue recalls on defective parts on these cars. For example, we’ve spend over $1,000 just on electric windows on these cars and between the 2 of them only 4 of the 8 windows work.

Yesterday, my wife took one of these POS’s to pickup some supplies for one of our crews. The car wouldn’t start when she went to leave. We had to have it towed to the shop. The only thing that’s “for sure” about this latest drama is that it will cost $500 or more to get that POS out of the shop. It always does.

Until recently I’ve always bought American vehicles because I though it was the right thing to do. My new attitude is: Why should I pay more for an inferior American made vehicle when I can pay less and get a better vehicle?

I suggest that you move to Japan so you could be among those people who make such fine cars, but then you'd be paying MORE for that toyota than it costs in the USA.

But hey, you just keep clinging to those myths you've swallowed about how inferior American workers are to everyone else, Sport.

When your nation collapses around you, you can drive your Toyota to the poorhouse.

My first car was a 55 Chevy, the love of a teenager's life, my latest a supercharged Buick. As someone who tries hard to buy American, I cannot even feel comfortable driving in a foreign car, yet we owned one in our poor days. Sounds weird but I figure we are all on this ship together and while a new VW camper would be nice....LOL

7 myths about Detroit automakers

By Mark Phelan • Free Press Columnist • December 5, 2008

"The debate over aid to the Detroit-based automakers is awash with half-truths and misrepresentations that are endlessly repeated by everyone from members of Congress to journalists. Here are seven myths about the companies and their vehicles, and the reality in each case."

Myth No. 1: Nobody buys their vehicles
7 myths about Detroit automakers | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
Thank you for posting this. I was trying to find the actual salary information on American companies vs. Toyota and Honda without any luck.

So much disinformation gets repeated that it becomes implanted in everyone's mind. I thought it sounded wrong that assembly line workers were making $70+ an hour and I see that I was correct.

As a family we own seven vehicles, one of which is a gas guzzling Winnebago that we use on vacations. of the lot, my favorite car is a Suzuki Swift (A Geo Metro by another name). It get about 42 miles to the gallon which is excellent, especially in light of the past year's prices for gasoline.

The best thing about the little car is that it only cost me $6000 brand new. What a deal! It was the price leader in a weekend advertisement by a big new car dealership. I called in a week before the ad and told the dealership that I wanted to buy the price leader. They told me that it was already sold. I explained that I did not want the price leader for the last weekend (It was Sunday), but that I wanted the price leader for the coming weekend. They passed me from one supervisor to another and eventually I reached the decision maker, and he took my number.

He called me back on Tuesday afternoon and told me that if I wanted the new car, I would have to be up there (Escondido) within an hour or he would sell it to somebody else.

I drove up in my old car, left it on the street and bought the new Suzuki with cash and drove it home that evening. Life is good. I went back and retrieved the other car the next day.

You're buying a car made in Germany and merely assembled in the USA. Wasn't it you who was going to check to see what percentage of foreigh brand cars made here were made from parts made in the USA?

I recall somebody was going to get back to us with reports on what they could find on that question.

I'd be curious about that myself.

I heard that the most "American made" car, meaning parts and assembly, is Honda.

I posted in another thread that I have always bought Chevys and probably always will, although with retirement around the corner, a Toyota hybrid may be in the future if the Big 3 can't get their act together.

I drive one Chevy that was built in Canada and another older Chevy that was built by a Japanese company. But they are Chevys!

Perhaps if we all tried to buy from an American comany, even if they are outsourced, our economy will be better off in the long run. Not an economist, so I don't know...

You're right about one thing. I didn't read the atricle. I don't need too. I know that American made cars are peices of shit.

I love it when you fucking idiots on this board purport to know what I own. Oh, that's right, only people who don't have 2 cents to rub together can use the internet. Damn, I almost forgot.

Both of our cars are Fords. My Taurus is over 11 years old and we've never had a major problem. Yes, we had to have one of the windows fixed once and we've had to have the light in the car fixed twice, but I don't call that major and with every car you are going to have some problems sooner or later.

My husband has a Focus. It's a little over a year old and no problem whatsoever with it yet.

I have always bought American, whenever possible. I'm upset that the entire car isn't made in America even though it's a ford.

Forum List

Back