Buy American they said

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
There's a principle that is true in any relationship but especially between a company and its customers: Trust is your most valuable asset. Or, said another way, you have to tell the truth. This is exactly what automotive company Ford didn't do.
On July 11, The Detroit Free Press reported that Ford deliberately ignored warnings from engineers that the transmission on its low-cost Focus and Fiesta models was defective. Then, the company told dealers to tell customers that everything was fine, even though it knew that wasn't the case. Ford Just Did the 1 Thing a Company Should Absolutely Never Do
Pretty hard when they do crap like this meanwhile foreign car companies crank out cars that go forever with very little problems. I might buy a very used Ford that I dont have to take a loan on but never a newer one. Same with Dodge. Had a first gen Intrepid chargold loaded. Road nice had huge trunk got huge mileage for V6 on the road, just nice. Father in Law like it so much he bought one few yrs later, more sporty model Both turned into nitemares. OurTranny needed major work twice. They always lied to the wife to try to get out of it. AC needed fixing every yr needed brakes every yr tires only lasted 30 grand,,,high end Goodyrs.His had some funky fuel line prob. They had to rip it all out and replace it. Never again unless they really hit a home run with something.

There's a principle that is true in any relationship but especially between a company and its customers: Trust is your most valuable asset. Or, said another way, you have to tell the truth. This is exactly what automotive company Ford didn't do.
On July 11, The Detroit Free Press reported that Ford deliberately ignored warnings from engineers that the transmission on its low-cost Focus and Fiesta models was defective. Then, the company told dealers to tell customers that everything was fine, even though it knew that wasn't the case. Ford Just Did the 1 Thing a Company Should Absolutely Never Do
Pretty hard when they do crap like this meanwhile foreign car companies crank out cars that go forever with very little problems. I might buy a very used Ford that I dont have to take a loan on but never a newer one. Same with Dodge. Had a first gen Intrepid chargold loaded. Road nice had huge trunk got huge mileage for V6 on the road, just nice. Father in Law like it so much he bought one few yrs later, more sporty model Both turned into nitemares. OurTranny needed major work twice. They always lied to the wife to try to get out of it. AC needed fixing every yr needed brakes every yr tires only lasted 30 grand,,,high end Goodyrs.His had some funky fuel line prob. They had to rip it all out and replace it. Never again unless they really hit a home run with something.
/——/ As a kid back in the 1960s, my uncles told me “never ever buy a Chrysler product. They spend money to make the cars look great then cut corners on the stuff you can’t see like inferior materials for the engine and tranny. That’s how they can price themselves less than GM and Ford.” I guess it’s still true today.

I have bought more than 40 cars - about half new and half used - and most of them have been vehicles that Consumer Reports badmouthed violently. I rarely keep a new car beyond the manufacturer's warranty, but I've never had any significant problems with any of them (other than premature rust on a Camaro). My used cars - mainly Chrysler turbo's - were everything I hoped for when I bought them, with the only real pisser being a $2k air conditioning repair on my Chrysler Pacifica. But that was the ONLY repair in four years of ownership - and NO warranty.

My point? If you look closely at used cars before buying them, and research what the problem areas are & deal with them, then don't worry about generalized gripes. Often a bad reputation is a bargain in disguise, as the used-car value goes down with the reputation.

I have bought more than 40 cars - about half new and half used - and most of them have been vehicles that Consumer Reports badmouthed violently. I rarely keep a new car beyond the manufacturer's warranty, but I've never had any significant problems with any of them (other than premature rust on a Camaro). My used cars - mainly Chrysler turbo's - were everything I hoped for when I bought them, with the only real pisser being a $2k air conditioning repair on my Chrysler Pacifica. But that was the ONLY repair in four years of ownership - and NO warranty.

My point? If you look closely at used cars before buying them, and research what the problem areas are & deal with them, then don't worry about generalized gripes. Often a bad reputation is a bargain in disguise, as the used-car value goes down with the reputation.
Did research the Intrepid....got high ratings across the board.

I was literally considering buying a Focus ST this week. I think im going with a honda civic now, since you cant beat their reliability.

I was literally considering buying a Focus ST this week. I think im going with a honda civic now, since you cant beat their reliability.
/—-/ Test drive a three year old model of each to see how they hold up. Do it at the Ford and Honda dealership with certified preowned cars.

Forum List

Back