Buy American Provision of the Stimulus Package - Good Move?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GHook93, Feb 16, 2009.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Yep you think Hawley-Smoot Act, which makes me fear a trade war. HOWEVER, look closely at the buy American clause. In the cause it says that bail out companies need to buy american unless the foreign countries at basically at par with our trade practices! Meaning Europe, Canada and Brazil (and I believe Japan and South Korea) won't be effected, but China and its subsidiaries will be!

Some conservatives are saying doom and gloom of a trade war. First Canada, Europe and Brazil won't be effected, since they are exempt. Mexico can't do a thing because of NAFTA and the fact that we our their biggest exporter. They need us a heck of a lot more than we need them! China will be effected, however, with their WTO violating subsidiaries of their steel and other materials they have been conducting a trade war against us for years and once against we are there biggest customers by far. Don't expect China to do anything but bark and its about time we took the war to them! Japan and South Korea, I believe are also both exempt, but have few raw materials I see nothing from them.

I see more barking from countries on this than bite. Now if this bill eliminated imports from all countries even ones with trade practices on par with us (Canada, Europe, Japan, SK, Brazil), then I would be on board with the scare-mongers of Hannity and Rush. However, its not and its a great clause. :clap2:

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Protectionism is always dangerous and unpredictable.

3. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    Yet its been working rather fine for China against us for years. They consistently violate the WTO requirements. I agree that protectionism against say Europe, Canada, South Korea or Japan and even Brazil would be very unwise, but against China, India and Mexico, at least in this case, it would be very wise! Look China and Mexico might bark, but they will be nothing! Both are extremely reliant on the US to sell their cheap little manafuctured goods.

4. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    no more than "free markets" and its chanting faithful. When these nations start trading evenly with the US then they can start bitching about protectionism and crying about trade wars. They can't continue to use our consumer class as their product tampon if it continues to be the case that our society is hemorrhaging jobs. As long as we let capitalistas keep crying about protectionism the more these nations will ignore the staggering trade deficits they enjoy. Fuck em.

Hungry? Eat your import.

5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,210
    What about all the money we borrowed from them to pay for Iraq? I actually hope we stop borrowing from them and hope we actually pay them back to get them off our books, but I also hear from Republicans that China can "take us down" if they call in all their loans.

Saudi Arabia too.

But you know what I would say to them? You'll get your money asap, but not a moment sooner. We can't pay you back in one day if it would take down our economy. But we will pay you back. Then all you do is print up some money and give it to them. Redeemable only if spent in America. LOL.

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    If the USA gets into a trade war?

MOST Americans win.

Hell we've been getting out asses handed to us in this UNDECLARED trade war we've been losing for the last thirty years!

However, if you own stock in, or work for GE, or some companies which sell high tech arms (for example) you might reasonable disagree.

We don't need to declare war on any trading nation, we merely need to see to it that they are not dumping on our markets and we need to insure that they are not imposing tariffs by any other name (think VAT taxing) on American goods coming into their lands.

7. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    BULL SHIT! Most Americans utterly lose! In fact the whole world loses! Price go up and people lose jobs! Hawley-Smoot has taught you absolutely nothing!

Maybe a trade war by China and Mexico, but we still export a ton of products and services to many countries specifically countries like Canada and in Europe. A trade war with them would be horrendous!

No if you have stock in America you would disagree!

Exactly what the provision does

8. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,210
    I heard the other day that Republicans are spinning this Hawley-Smoot thing. Is this in reference to the Great Depression. Apparently, it didn't cause the Great Depression like you are suggesting. It was Republican policies. I'll try to find the op ed.

But my guess is that this person is wrong.

For one, I'm done with worrying about more expensive products. Fuck cheap chinese products. What is the cost for you to save a buck sir? Stop selling out your own country for cheap goods and services.

9. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932

10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I think buying American should come naturally and products should clearly be marked made in the USA. I am even willing to have a tier system and pay more for something that helps my neighbor and myself. There are enough cheapskates that imported cheap junk in walmart will always have a buyer.

Taming the Savage Market