Buy a SAMSUNG phone.........they can survive being dropped 1,000 ft.

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
In the interest of bringing something to the boards other than political fighting, I saw a story on Inside Edition today that I thought was kinda cool. Seems that some pilot was flying his plane and recording the flight on his phone, when it got too close to the window and was sucked out of the airplane.

Well, the pilot thought his phone was gone, but there's more to this story.................

Seems that the phone kept recording and recorded the fall all the way down. It landed in grass (still recording AND WORKING), and the person whose lawn it fell on thought it was his neighbors phone. Found out that it wasn't, and later, the pilot used GPS to find his phone and got it back.

I think that the next time I need to buy a smartphone, I'm gonna get the one that the pilot had. Here's the link, and it even has the video the phone recorded on the way down.

A Pilot Dropped His Phone From a Plane, and It Recorded the Entire Fall (Video)

I thought a cool story would be a nice change from all the political infighting.

Samsung phones (and other things) Rawk!

Hey..............you gotta admit..........it's a hell of a cool story, and he's got video to back it up.

You know, if I were a SAMSUNG advertising executive, I'd be getting in touch with this dude right away and get him to be in their advertising.

You gotta admit................a story like that with video to back it up would sell a lot of phones.

But, you know Kat, my roomie and I sat and thought about it after we heard the story and came up with a possible reason why it survived intact.

When people drop their phones normally from standing height, they are generally looking at it, and when it lands, it lands on it's edge, concentrating the force on the place it landed.

When it's dropped from 1,000 ft, the air has time to play with it and because the phone isn't heavier at one place over the other, it will have a tendency to go flat (as evidenced on the video of it spinning around), and the spin generates a small amount of lift to cushion the blow.

And then, there's the fact that it landed flat, on a lawn, so the force on the phone would have been evenly distributed, and the blades of grass may have been able to act as shock absorbers.

I'm a skeptical one as referred to in the story. Given distance=1/2 x acceleration x time2 (time squared) I would expect the falling object to take 8 seconds to travel 1000 feet - given gravity causing accelerating at 32 feet per second, per second. It was double that in the video, not sure if air resistance would account for all that time.
latest

I'm a skeptical one as referred to in the story. Given distance=1/2 x acceleration x time2 (time squared) I would expect the falling object to take 8 seconds to travel 1000 feet - given gravity causing accelerating at 32 feet per second, per second. It was double that in the video, not sure if air resistance would account for all that time.
latest

But, the video shows the phone spinning around and around as it's falling to earth, which means that the larger flat surface of the phone is what is slowing it down. If it dropped straight down on it's edge, it may have only taken 8 seconds, but it would have also shattered the phone. I think the flat spin, and landing on the grass is what saved it.

latest

But, the video shows the phone spinning around and around as it's falling to earth, which means that the larger flat surface of the phone is what is slowing it down. If it dropped straight down on it's edge, it may have only taken 8 seconds, but it would have also shattered the phone. I think the flat spin, and landing on the grass is what saved it.
After the safe landing it spontaneously combusted, i heard.

latest

After the safe landing it spontaneously combusted, i heard.

Click on the link in the OP and you can see the phone fall all the way down, land safely, and watch the person whose yard it fell in to ask his neighbor if that is his phone.

In the interest of bringing something to the boards other than political fighting, I saw a story on Inside Edition today that I thought was kinda cool. Seems that some pilot was flying his plane and recording the flight on his phone, when it got too close to the window and was sucked out of the airplane.

Well, the pilot thought his phone was gone, but there's more to this story.................

Seems that the phone kept recording and recorded the fall all the way down. It landed in grass (still recording AND WORKING), and the person whose lawn it fell on thought it was his neighbors phone. Found out that it wasn't, and later, the pilot used GPS to find his phone and got it back.

I think that the next time I need to buy a smartphone, I'm gonna get the one that the pilot had. Here's the link, and it even has the video the phone recorded on the way down.

I thought a cool story would be a nice change from all the political infighting.

Samsung up to the Galaxy S7 is as far as I went before going iPhone. O was worried because I have never seen an apple phone that diddnt have a cracked screen. So far the iPhone has survived several drops,and being dunked in the ocean. Doubt my i7 would survive that drop. Cool vedio.

Like I said, SAMSUNG ought to have their advertising dept. get ahold of this dude and put him and his phone in a commercial. It would sell a lot of phones.

Samsung up to the Galaxy S7 is as far as I went before going iPhone. O wow worried because I have never seen an apple phone that diddnt have a cracked screen. So far the iPhone has survived several drops,and being dunked in the ocean. Doubt my i7 would survive that drop.
Like I said, SAMSUNG ought to have their advertising dept. get ahold of this dude and put him and his phone in a commercial. It would sell a lot of phones.

You see the youtub of the dude who beat his Samsung with a sledge hammer, tossing it off a balconey and finishing with an over night dunk in a fish tank. Screen was trash, but it still rang.

Fascinating indeed. That Samsung phone miraculously survived only because it landed on the flat side of the phone not on the sides. Most especially it landed soft spot which is grass.
Most of the time people dropped their phone on a hard surface.

Forum List

Back