But with the subject of tithing,...

Numbers 18:23, 24 it tells that the tithe specifically is to be used for the Levites, the ministers of Israel, as they were not allowed an inheritance.
Deuteronomy 12:17 speaks of tithes & offerings seperately.
Malachi 3:8-12 Tithe & offering is spoken of again seperately & by not giving these we are robbing God.

I don’t see any specific number here:

[Bible.com ASV]

Numbers 18:23-24:

23 But the Levites shall do the service of the tent of meeting, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations; and among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

24 For the tithe of the children of Israel, which they offer as a heave-offering unto Jehovah, I have given to the Levites for an inheritance: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

Deuteronomy 12:17:

17 Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy grain, or of thy new wine, or of thine oil, or the firstlings of thy herd or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill-offerings, nor the heave-offering of thy hand;

Malachi 3:8-12:

8 Will a man rob God? yet ye rob me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with the curse; for ye rob me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring ye the whole tithe into the store-house, that there may be food in my house, and prove me now herewith, saith Jehovah of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast its fruit before the time in the field, saith Jehovah of hosts.

12 And all nations shall call you happy; for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith Jehovah of hosts

Now in my ex's synagog there was assigned seating for at least the 'high holy days' which was the only time his family attended. Seems the seating was assigned by contributions. .....

This is directly against the teachings of Jesus, who said that the dirt-poor widow who gave half her coins gave more thatn the rich who gave much more but just a surplus or their budget.

I don’t see any specific number here:

Lev 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

Num 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up a heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.

Hebrew meaning:
ma‛ăśêr ma‛ăśar ma‛aśrâh

mah-as-ayr', mah-as-ar', mah-as-raw'
a tenth; especially a tithe: - tenth (part), tithe (-ing).

Those verses are directing Animal Sacrifice to God, from what I can see - and aren't relevant to 'financial tithing' to a church body, IMO.

Those verses are directing Animal Sacrifice to God, from what I can see - and aren't relevant to 'financial tithing' to a church body, IMO.

Yeah. It's old jew stuff. Jesus said to love god, and to love others as oneself.

Whatsoever passes under the rod, etc. At that time all the finances were in trade. A tenth of your proceeds were supposed to be holy regardless of what you did.

Yeah. It's old jew stuff. Jesus said to love god, and to love others as oneself.

He also spoke of the man who gave extravagantly to the temple as opposed to the widow who gave all she had. He spoke directly to tithes and considered them important. She was blessed while he had already received his reward by being so extravagant about it...

He also spoke of the man who gave extravagantly to the temple as opposed to the widow who gave all she had. He spoke directly to tithes and considered them important. She was blessed while he had already received his reward by being so extravagant about it...

That doesn't sound like something jesus would say, buddhist.

http://thenarrowpath.com/topical/Are We to Practice Tithing Today.htm
Ever since God abolished the temple and the Levitical priesthood, there remains no obvious reason why the tithe should continue to define a Christian’s measure of giving to God. The church generally does not release one full-time minister for every ten families (though this ratio would not be excessive), so there is no biblical or logical reason why the same percentage of the Christian’s income should be devoted to the church’s coffers as was required of the Israelites in their support of the temple clergy. This is, no doubt, why neither Jesus nor the apostles ever so much as suggested this duty to the disciples. The tithe was for the support of the ritual system of Israel. These ceremonial aspects of the Law were done away with in the coming of a better covenant.

You fight me on this every time. Anything rather than accept what the Bible texts actually say.

DEUTERONOMY 12:17
Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thi ne hand:

LEVITICUS 27:32
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, <even> of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

LEVITICUS 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, <whether> of the seed of the land, <or> of the fruit of the tree, <is> the LORD'S: <it is> holy unto the LORD.

2 CHRONICLES 31:6
And <concerning> the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid & lt;them> by heaps.

New Testament.

Luke 18:12; Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42. Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness.

ACTS 4:35
And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. (KJV)

Heb. 7:1-10 is the only other New Testament mention of tithing is in Hebrews. The fact that Abraham was blessed by and paid tithes to Melchizedek.

Then simply list the RIGHT scriputers. I fight EVERYONE EVERY time they list scriptures I feel aren't 'on topic' to the subject.

How are my texts on tithing, not on topic?

So how do you propose ministers get paid?
In my church there are 1400 families and 2 priests. Should the priests make 70 times what the average family makes? With a 10% tithe, and assuming an average family income of $50K, my church would have an annual operating budget of $7 million. If they were providing defense, sanitation, and water supply I’d say that would be reasonable. Otherwise it is extremely excessive.

Our 2006 FY operating budget was about $1.1 million.

How are my texts on tithing, not on topic?

Does this help, Joz? Thanks. I learned something... and I'm a Levi and didn't know this stuff.

6. The independent nature of the Levite was balanced by his role of Temple functionary. The Levites carried the Tabernacle and its vessels on its wanderings in the desert. Levites served as the honor guard, gatekeepers and musicians of the Temple. They also assisted the Kohanim in preparing toe offerings and in other aspects of the Temple's functioning.

7. The economics of the tribe of Levi were unique among the tribes of Israel. In contrast to the other tribes, Levites had no inherited portion in the Land of Israel. Forty-two cities scattered throughout the portions of the other tribes were set aside as cities of Levites. In these cities, the Levites served as spiritual teachers to the people of Israel. These cities also served as shelters for those guilty of accidentally causing a person's death. Whereas the other tribes worked the land, the Levite was dependent on the tithes and food gifts of others. Levites were made to be economically dependent on others for their income. In exchange for his life's service, the Levite received God's ordained sustenance through the required tithing of the nation. There was a mitzva upon the people of Israel not to abandon the Levi.

http://www.cohen-levi.org/the_levites/role_of_the_levites.htm

One thing to note, though... Levites were more "functionaries" in the Temple. The priests were the Kohanim.

Forum List

Back