But with the subject of tithing,...

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by glockmail, Nov 14, 2006.

1. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    [By request]

...as a life-long Catholic, I've never been asked, or read anything about, a tithe requirement to the Catholic Church. There is a 10% requirement in the Torah, when the Church supplied defense, sanitation, and water along with the purely spiritual needs. Since we have a guv'mint that now does this (and does so at around 50%), it would be ridiculous to think that the Church requires the same amount that they did 5000 years ago.

I'm curious as to you atheists and religion-bashers, is this the source of your animosity towards God or religion? The thickness of your wallet? What a price to pay for tossing your soul into the fires of hell, or losing out on fellowship and learning.

2. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

I was really just messing around. I think actually a lot of evangelical/born again are into tithing these days, moreso even than catholics. Some of these megachurches in the south actually require you to submit your bank account numbers when you join the church. Otherwise they're good preachers, but this practice sickens me.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
  4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Tithes should be given willingly.

5. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Glock it just isn't in the Torah, but also in the O/T that does state giving 10% As for me I have no issues in tithing as close to the 10% for me. I believe Gods grace is included by my giving with an open heart. I can and do see the sufface issues on this topic. But Jesus also showed his desiples how to give with a good heart. Because before then they didn't have a clear understanding. So is giving and tithing the same thing?

6. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    The biblical norm included basic services which the federal government now provides. I would gladly give 33% instead of the 50% or so I now give to the guv'mint.

Nothing in here requires a 10% tithe to Catholic Church.

7. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I believe so; giving to charaties. Right now I "give" the most to my least favorite charity: the guv'mint. They are also the least efficient at helping people.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    My 'portion' is given as I feel Lead...and given sometimes when I don't feel lead. As a Christian, I believe Christ when he said "...as you do it to the least of my brethren, you do it also unto ME." Thus, my giving isn't a fixed amount, nor is it given methodically, but given in prayer and trust to those who are in need and junk.

9. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Wrong attitude: it is thank you can I have another!!! I actually give to my church and occassionally I give to "other groups" but I've found those groups are greedy and want more and it has left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to giving with an open heart.
    I will add about giving we are entering the tis the season for giving out of guilt! You know people whom are in either bad situations or just lazy don't just get hungry at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It seems people aren't so open to doing say quarterly food drives instead of the "yearly" check in the block. Think about it.

10. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    You sound like half the teenagers nowadays: "just kidding", instead of having to admit that they were wrong, or in your case, completely without couth.

I am aware of such practices of some churches, both large and small, and share your sentiments. They are completely out of line. I also know of a preacher in my neighborhood who has an account just to pay for his wife's hats. In direct contrast, Catholic Priests are sworn to poverty. Which church would you rather belong to?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1