But racism no longer exists....

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by midcan5, Apr 28, 2008.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I'm not sure what world people live in who claim there is little racism today, all we would need is an economic disaster and they will come out of the walls. Actually they aren't too far away at any time. Having lived now in a big city and corporate America as long as I have it has lessened but it is still very evident especially among the uneducated. Maybe that is why people online feel it is no more. The piece below makes clear progress is slow coming.

'The Year in Hate Active U.S. Hate Groups Rise to 888 in 2007'

By David Holthouse and Mark Potok

"The latest annual count by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) found that the number of hate groups operating in America rose to 888 last year, up 5% from 844 groups in 2006. That capped an increase of 48% since 2000 — a hike from 602 groups attributable to the exploitation by hate groups of the continuing debate about immigration. And it comes on top of some 300 other anti-immigration groups, about half listed by SPLC as "nativist extremist," formed in the last three years.

At the same time, FBI statistics suggested that there was a 35% rise in hate crimes against Latinos between 2003 and 2006. Experts believe that such crimes are typically carried out by people who think they are attacking immigrants."

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=886

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/hcrvp.pdf

2. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    What's your point midcan? Is that the majority of hate crimes are perputrated by blacks? Maybe I missing something from the stat links you posted?

3. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I think it might be that when things get tough miniorities start getting hammered by nativist extremists. It's not just the US either, it happens everywhere and has happened throughout history.

4. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    But that's not what the stats show....:eusa_wall:

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
  6. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The problem with these stats is that is one person who is associated with another hate group tries to join or joins another group, that group is then classified as racist as well. As a result, numerous of the anti-immigrant groups that have sprung up throughout the southwest have been given the raist label.

7. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    How about evidence? Evidence gained by looking at history to prove that this is an innate human tendency?

8. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    So your telling me racism isn't learned its biological? That's BS

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Simple fact. It is against Federal law to discriminate against someone for their race. Legally, it does not exist.

Another simple fact: Racists exist. Get over it. Nothing anyone can say or do will EVER completely extinguish it. It defies the history of mankind and it defies the laws of nature to think that it will.

The sensationalization and fearmongering that goes on with you folks with hair triggers just looking for excuses to fire that word IMO perpetuates racism every bit as much as the racists do. In other words, you ain't helping.

The same laws that protect your right to freedom of speech protect theirs. Want a one-way street? Move to Germany. I think that's where Holocaust deniers are charged with a crime.

Personally, I like them having freedom to run their mouthes. That way I know who they are.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    "In February 2008, the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination faulted the US for failing to address racism against its racial minorities--criticism receiving scant news media attention in comparison to the orgy of coverage on comments by Rev. Wright.

Irrespective of Rev. Wright's remarks, it's wrong to put America's long festering race woes solely on the back of Barack.

Instead of Hillary Clinton or John McCain showing self-proclaimed leadership by denouncing the duplicity of using Obama's candidacy as a barometer for racism in America, the pair remained silent, savoring political advantage."

http://www.counterpunch.org/washington03252008.html

Another example of conservative msm.