But I thought that guns were never used defensively.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
At least that is the often stated position of the Gun Control advocates. By Gun Control, they mean abolition, that is to say complete banning of all weapons. So I thought I’d highlight a few recent incidents that managed to make the media. Why only a few? Well with estimates from surveys showing that there are roughly a million defensive uses of firearms each year, the news would have nothing but gun defense stories if that was actually covered.

1) Man attacks hotel guest with a fork and gets shot. Man attacks gun carry permit holder with fork at Nashville hotel and it doesn't end well

2) Georgia kills home invader. Columbus man kills home intruder in self-defense, police say

3) Washington Man fires on intruder breaking into home. Puyallup apartment resident opens fire at armed intruder

4) Kansas man holds burglar at gunpoint for police. Salina Man Held at Gunpoint After Trying to Break in to Home

I could post more. I could post a lot more. Home invasions. Purse snatching, road rage attacks. The list goes on, and on, and sadly on. What is telling is that the armed citizen is safer, because the armed citizen is not merely a victim waiting to be robbed, raped, or killed. The gun does not guarantee your safety, it gives you a tool, a way of increasing your chances of survival.

Seatbelts and airbags as well as designed crumple zones in cars have saved at least a million lives. But there are still tens of thousands of deaths on our highways. The seatbelt, airbags, and all the rest increase your odds of survival, but it does not guarantee your survival. That’s all a gun is ever intended to be. It can increase your odds of survival. It can increase your chances of coming out of it alive. Yet, many who cheer the new safety devices and options on cars, decry the gun because of one simple emotional reason. It scares them. It’s scary. It is scary looking. It makes a big noise. It will jump off the table and hunt you down to end your life.

As FDR said. We have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

And the conclusion.

Forum List

Back