Busy Ethnocentric Biases in the Majority

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
Almost each Saturday, a little old frail neighborly Christian lady continues to invite my wife and me to her church for the following Sunday service - and we politely decline. She stares at us with a frown and walks away. Almost each Sunday evening she asks us why we didn't attend church. We give a casual comments such as "We are very busy" or we say that one of us is sick. Sometimes, if we feel brave enough to risk hurting her feelings we say that we just don't like going to church. She continues to pry and even says that we really should go to church. Otherwise the is a nice and polite old lady, but she certainly can become an annoyance. I would hate to be rude, crass, and insensitive, but sometimes I want to say: Can't you take a hint!?! We don't attend church! We don't want to go to your church and we may never go to your church. Now, buzz off, go a way and pray to your God and leave us alone!

On the other hand, I remember working alone at a visitor center early one evening years ago. The building was small, quiet, and dull with no visitors. A well built man in his mid 40s, wearing a fine black leather jacket and matching hat, walked in. He walked around and approached me while I was stacking leaflets on the shelf. While I looked at him and asked if I may be of assistance, he was rubbing at something from within his pant's pocket and staring at my waist. He looked up into my eyes, smiled, said that I looked nice. He then asked me if I would like to fool around. I felt surprised for a second or two but then calmly said that I was flattered but not interested. He said "That's okay" and calmly walked out the door and wandered away. I never herd form him or saw him again.

Why can't more people within the "mainstream majority" respond more like that male visitor. A simple "No, thank you" should be a sufficient message for anyone to receive. Yet, some people behave like desperate salesmen who can't take "No" for an answer. The more I imply that (as long as I am not hurting them) people should leave me alone to live my life as I see fit, the more people (particularly within the mainstream majority) behave like nosy busybodies. Perhaps my opinion is skewed due to supposedly rare examples outside the norm. It may be that Christians are "peaceful persuaders" who are able to take hints when invitations are declined. Perhaps I met an unusually cooperative and understanding homosexual. Anyway, due to my experiences, I just don't see it that way.

Forum List

Back