Bush's Speech

Hit the nail on the head.

We have seen our discourse degraded by casual cruelty. At times, it can seem like the forces pulling us apart are stronger than the forces binding us together. Argument turns too easily into animosity. Disagreement escalates into dehumanization. Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions – forgetting the image of God we should see in each other.

"We've seen nationalism distorted into nativism – forgotten the dynamism that immigration has always brought to America. We see a fading confidence in the value of free markets and international trade – forgetting that conflict, instability, and poverty follow in the wake of protectionism.

"We have seen the return of isolationist sentiments – forgetting that American security is directly threatened by the chaos and despair of distant places, where threats such as terrorism, infectious disease, criminal gangs and drug trafficking tend to emerge.

"In all these ways, we need to recall and recover our own identity. Americans have a great advantage: To renew our country, we only need to remember our values.

George W. Bush Slams 'Bigotry,' Politics Of Populism That Led To Trump, Sanders
That's a one-two punch. Obama did the same yesterday. Coming from Bush, that's really gotta hurt.
Barack Obama just destoryed Trump and everything he stands for without even mentioning his name

Only the Democrats care. Bush and Obama are both on vendettas.

And most likely not to see the US destroyed.

To think BO and W, two of the most heinous criminals of the century are admired, shows ignorance is prevalent.

Will someone else join Gipper in the fact free zone?
Come on CC....give me some credit. I got it half right. W is a heinous criminal...right?

So you know its bullshit but you want someone to pretend with you? No thanks, I like reality
Oh no my son. I stand by my remarks completely and entirely. Unlike you, I am honest.

Both man should be imprisoned in Supermax.

W. was all for open borders and NAFTA. Clinton was more anti-illegal than W. was.

Both were not really good for everybody.

Remember when gas was $4.26/gallon? That was W.

Price of diesel shoots through the roof? Also W.

Invading Iraq? W.

Housing bubble that burst? W.

I'm not a fan, sorry. He can tell it to the hand. :eusa_hand:
Im not a Bush fan, not of his policies but I will give credit where it is due. He is a fundamentally decent person who believes in public service and the institutions that support democracies. He also handled 911 really well and he took the Presidency seriously, and treated both colleagues and critics with respect.
i can agree with a lot of that but people are taking a 2016 speech - even if recycled - and applying it where they like. from what i understand, bush tee'd off on both sides of the aisle for acting like kids but as usual, the left doesn't pay attention to their responsibility in this, just yells at the other side who doesn't do a very good job of it either.

Yes he teed off on both sides and it was noted in the article I linked to. It is not a partisan speech, it is a wake up America speech. Trump is the symptom not the cause.
trump would be a symptom
the antifa would be a symptom

hell, when you get right down to it, we're *all* a symptom of this and the biggest reason to me falls to the fact we can't agree even to disagree. someone must win and someone must lose and if we don't agree, the other side is killing the country.

somewhere along the line being right became more important than working together and admitting you are wrong about something became a sign of weakness.

we're *all* to blame for that and we see it in here every day.
Is't that the truth...

W. was all for open borders and NAFTA. Clinton was more anti-illegal than W. was.

Invading Iraq? W.

Im not a Bush fan, not of his policies but I will give credit where it is due. He is a fundamentally decent person who believes in public service and the institutions that support democracies. He also handled 911 really well and he took the Presidency seriously, and treated both colleagues and critics with respect.
i can agree with a lot of that but people are taking a 2016 speech - even if recycled - and applying it where they like. from what i understand, bush tee'd off on both sides of the aisle for acting like kids but as usual, the left doesn't pay attention to their responsibility in this, just yells at the other side who doesn't do a very good job of it either.

Yes he teed off on both sides and it was noted in the article I linked to. It is not a partisan speech, it is a wake up America speech. Trump is the symptom not the cause.

I'll agree that Trump is the symptom, but his being there is the result of all of these things bush is talking about being perceived as the cause of people's woes that propelled populism to the forefront.

telling people to run around the same old track that they feel got them into this mess isn't going to work out all that well.

these guys need a new message if they don't like Trump or what brought him to office. This message, and the massive disconnect between these guys and the people effected by these policies, is what gave us Trump in the first place, IMO...
The ruling class has lost their minds...and of course they are disgusting criminals. This is why Trump won and why the ruling class is at war with the people and pushing back. Sadly...run of the mill leftists and other fools will side with the criminal ruling class every time.
Trump is the ruling class. He is a wealthy business man. Who do think rules?

I'll agree that Trump is the symptom, but his being there is the result of all of these things bush is talking about being perceived as the cause of people's woes that propelled populism to the forefront.

telling people to run around the same old track that they feel got them into this mess isn't going to work out all that well.

these guys need a new message if they don't like Trump or what brought him to office. This message, and the massive disconnect between these guys and the people effected by these policies, is what gave us Trump in the first place, IMO...
The ruling class has lost their minds...and of course they are disgusting criminals. This is why Trump won and why the ruling class is at war with the people and pushing back. Sadly...run of the mill leftists and other fools will side with the criminal ruling class every time.
but he's not establishment. if anything people didn't really elect trump in as much send a signal they're tired of "politics as usual".

the left and right can figure it out or we can keep electing the most extreme person out there to counter the last extreme person and keep digging this hole deeper.

Trump is a wealthy businessman. He is not "The ruling class".

The ruling class is the Rothschilds and Rockerfellers, Morgans, and Bushes.

Trump is an American that got wealthy on the system. That doesn't mean he's one of them.

He just wants to see it go back to when everybody had a fair(er) shake. He wants everybody to have the same opportunities they used to. I do too.

For this, he is demonized by those that would turn everyone into serfs. Their useful idiots parrot their mantra daily.

When I was a young man, starting out, making money; My mentor gave me this rule of thumb:

You should be able to pay your housing with 1 week's worth of work. The next week covers bills and food. The next 2 you can either save or spend.

That is hardly possible in the workforce the way it is today, yet it should be.

I feel sorry for those that have not experienced this.

Last edited:

Trump is an American that got wealthy on the system. That doesn't mean he's one of them.

He just wants to see it go back to when everybody had a fair(er) shake.

For this, he is demonized by those that would turn everyone into serfs. Their useful idiots parrot their mantra daily.
trump is demonized because his people skills suck.

That doesn't mean he isn't on the right track.

That doesn't mean he isn't on the right track.
nope.
but pissing people off all the time is a poor way to get people to follow you. it's just as divisive as we had previously just in the other direction.

Invading Iraq? W.

/——/ Remember the good old days when Leftists were anti establishment?

He is not of the ruling class, which is why the ruling class is against him. At any rate, he is failing.

He is not of the ruling class, which is why the ruling class is against him. At any rate, he is failing.
depends on what you call success. i see a lot of good moves i'm thankful he's done.

pulling out of the global warming money transfer is huge to me. i do not believe you can simply throw money at a problem w/no oversight or insurance it will be used as intended.

if your goal is pulling us together, both grump and obama are dismal failures. but then, both represent one side over the other and not *all* americans.

The Democratic Party is fighting hard against racism, hate and violence…..

well except for the racist Nation of Islam Democrats, racist Klan Democrats, racist La Raza Democrats, racist BLM Democrats, Muslim Brotherhood bigots, racist LULAC Democrats, CAIR bigots, racist Black Panther Democrats, racist Aztlan Nationalist Democrats, racist Affirmative Action advocate Democrats, racist Sanctuary City Democrats, violent Antifa bigots, and all of the racist demagogue Democrat Politicians, Pundits, Entertainers and Athletes………

Actually voting Democrat IS HATE

All countries have immigration laws.
It's not "white supremacy" to control immigration.
What is off the charts racist is Democrats demanding open borders and mass illegal immigration

Why would anyone vote Democrat if they are against hate and racism?
That just doesn't make any sense.

Invading Iraq? W.

W. was all for open borders and NAFTA. Clinton was more anti-illegal than W. was. Both were not really good for everybody.

That's not saying much. No POTUS or policy is good for everybody.

The one thing that Bush has that Trump, the object of his remarks, simply does not is a decent amount integrity and good character. Trump is living proof that rich and reprobate are not mutually exclusive traits, not even in one who was "to the manor born," as were both Trump and Bush. Bush was a bit of a "wild child" back in the day, but not so much of one that he had to be sent to "reform school for rich kids." (That was an endeavor that obviously didn't work.) All the same, Bush eventually grew out of it, and well before turning seventy. In contrast, Trump, who is essentially the same age as Bush and was at NYMA (reform school) at the same time Bush was at Andover, still has not evolved into a dignified, mature and well adjusted human being.

All countries have immigration laws.
It's not "white supremacy" to control immigration.
What is off the charts racist is Democrats demanding open borders and mass illegal immigration
Democrats demanding open borders
OT:
Please corroborate that assertion by showing that Democrats who matter have demanded open borders. I am aware of no such individual who's advocated removing all immigration restrictions, entry requirements and so on.

Obama's people skills were marvelous, and look at the shit we're in.

Obama's people skills were marvelous, and look at the shit we're in.
his people skills are better than trumps, but he still alienates a lot of people with his "ideas". not being an asshole is only part of the overall desired picture.

Bush didn't me too trump at all in the speech, why would trump care unless hr believes phoney stories?

Oh and nice to see the left support Bush attacking the evils of socialism. May be hope for this world

Forum List

Back