Bush's Former Top General in Iraq says We Can't Win the Iraq War

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Retired general talks about Iraq war

Sig Christenson
Express-News Military Writer

The commander who led the Iraq war for more than a year after Baghdad's fall says the best outcome America can hope for now is to "stave off defeat."

Calling the situation there bleak, retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez also said America has been in the grips of a leadership crisis since 9-11, and that only a sweeping re-examination of Iraq and a renewed, long-term commitment there that includes a large U.S. troop presence will turn the tide of the conflict.

"I think if we do the right things politically and economically with the right Iraqi leadership we could still salvage at least a stalemate, if you will — not a stalemate but at least stave off defeat," Sanchez told the San Antonio Express-News. "It's also kind of important for us to answer the question, 'What is victory?', and at this point I'm not sure America really knows what victory is."

Sanchez, in his first interview since his career ended last year, is the highest-ranking former military leader yet to suggest the Bush administration fell short in Iraq. Retired Army Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who led the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq, appeared in a TV spot accusing the president of pursuing "a failed strategy that is breaking our great Army."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA052507.01A.Sanchez.3538bac.html

You did read what he says in JUST your blurb? More troops for an indefinate amount of time.

Now remind me what the democrats said when Bush started this surge....... Remind me which party is DEMANDING a timetable for total and complete withdrawal of ALL forces.

Forum List

Back