Bush's Civil Rights Abuses?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Remember how you use to rail against Bush, even calling for impeachment -- him using secret laws to spy on people in covert operations? I know one of the reasons you voted for Obama was because he wouldn't do anything like that. He's different. After all, CHANGE!

Take a gander at the AP ("Always Partisan") article:

Obama inheriting broad covert ops policies
By PAMELA HESS – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush leaves President-elect Obama broad latitude for covert action in countries with which the United States is not at war, powers that Obama could scale back along with other Bush presidential orders now under consideration for rescinding.

But he's not likely to do that.

Obama already has telegraphed his willingness to exercise those powers if he deems them necessary.

The Associated Press: Obama inheriting broad covert ops policies

How do you like the emperor's new clothes?

Remember how you use to rail against Bush, even calling for impeachment -- him using secret laws to spy on people in covert operations? I know one of the reasons you voted for Obama was because he wouldn't do anything like that. He's different. After all, CHANGE!

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush leaves President-elect Obama broad latitude for covert action in countries with which the United States is not at war, powers that Obama could scale back along with other Bush presidential orders now under consideration for rescinding.

Obama already has telegraphed his willingness to exercise those powers if he deems them necessary.

Did you read the article PoliticalChic? It says only that it is likely he will continue covert intelligence operations in other countries where Al Qaida is a threat.

It didn't say he was going to continue Bush's policies of torture, spying on US citizens, or using the Patiot Act to monitor civil rights and environmental organizations. In fact, it said that a top Obama spokesperson told the press that it is likely that once Obama takes office he will rescind many of the executive orders that Bush enacted.

Sheesh. Talk about blowing out of proportion what the article said and to spin it to make it seem as though Obama was no different than Bush. That was a huge stretch and requires a huge stretch of imagination and a willful suspension of rational thought to believe.

"Policies of torture".
Pffft.
What was that you were saying about blowing out of proportion?

Did you read the article PoliticalChic? It says only that it is likely he will continue covert intelligence operations in other countries where Al Qaida is a threat.

It didn't say he was going to continue Bush's policies of torture, spying on US citizens, or using the Patiot Act to monitor civil rights and environmental organizations. In fact, it said that a top Obama spokesperson told the press that it is likely that once Obama takes office he will rescind many of the executive orders that Bush enacted.

Sheesh. Talk about blowing out of proportion what the article said and to spin it to make it seem as though Obama was no different than Bush. That was a huge stretch and requires a huge stretch of imagination and a willful suspension of rational thought to believe.

Boy, you sound so afraid that this could be true, after all what is the meaning of "it is likely"?

Here is the point to help you all Obama voters: Remember what Tom Brokaw and Charlie Rose said, the Friday before the election, "We really don’t know anything about Obama.”

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6F6PkPuNZE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6F6PkPuNZE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Now calm down. Have a drink and let's watch the story unfold.

:lol: so you'll criticize Obama for using procedures put into place by Bush? really? that's hysterical. Hypocrite much?

Remember how you use to rail against Bush, even calling for impeachment -- him using secret laws to spy on people in covert operations?

I don't recall calling for his impeachment but I certainly railed against him when he used these "secret laws" against U.S. citizens.

When used to get at AQ in other countries, which is what this article is about, I didn't say a peep.

Sorry, babe, but this article doesn't make the point that you hoped it would.

Nice try though.

:lol: so you'll criticize Obama for using procedures put into place by Bush? really? that's hysterical. Hypocrite much?

We all knew this was going to happen the second a Democrat took office.

I only imagined that it would happen before one was inaugurated ...

I am in a generous mood today, so I'll give you a lesson on reading comprehension. No need to thank me.

The point was not criticism of Obama, it was criticism of YOU, and all of those who voted for him without knowing anything about him.

If he continues Bush's policies, what happened to the reasons that you voted for him?

Now before you have problems with my endnote, I wasn't talking about Obama's clothing. I was referring to a story that the nurse read to you a week or two ago.

"How do you like the emperor's new clothes?"

I am in a generous mood today, so I'll give you a lesson on reading comprehension. No need to thank me.

The point was not criticism of Obama, it was criticism of YOU, and all of those who voted for him without knowing anything about him.

If he continues Bush's policies, what happened to the reasons that you voted for him?

Now before you have problems with my endnote, I wasn't talking about Obama's clothing. I was referring to a story that the nurse read to you a week or two ago.

i'll be very happy if obama discontinues the use of "signing statements".
bush's use of them has been far more corrosive to freedom and our republic than any covert activities he may have authorized. bush has wiped his ass with the Constitution and Congress has let him do it.

I knew enough about him to make me positive that I didn’t want Palin to have a chance of exercising the powers put in place by W. Oh, and there was a high actuarial probability that Palin would have received those powers, I still have nightmares about that possibility.

You guys should have known that the expansion of executive power would have been transferred to anyone inheriting the Whitehouse. It’s always harder to take something away than it is to not give it in the first place.

Or do you think W. will refuse to leave?

i'll be very happy if obama discontinues the use of "signing statements".
bush's use of them has been far more corrosive to freedom and our republic than any covert activities he may have authorized. bush has wiped his ass with the Constitution and Congress has let him do it.

STILL waiting for that list of rights and protections I lost.

I knew enough about him to make me positive that I didn’t want Palin to have a chance of exercising the powers put in place by W. Oh, and there was a high actuarial probability that Palin would have received those powers, I still have nightmares about that possibility.

You guys should have known that the expansion of executive power would have been transferred to anyone inheriting the Whitehouse. It’s always harder to take something away than it is to not give it in the first place.

Or do you think W. will refuse to leave?

As I recall the left has been claiming for 5 years Bush was just around the Corner from seizing the Country as a dictator so as to cover up all his supposed crimes.

I don't know about you, but I knew I didn't want Sarah Palin anywhere near the white house except on a tour. The whole "we don't know about him" was always nothing more than hyperbole and propaganda.... particularly from people who started drooling over palin and her extreme ideology from the day she was introduced.... even though she was kept as far as possible from the press. -- something for which she is trying very hard to make up now.

NOW you're worried about the misuse of presidential power that has occurred for the past eight years?!?!?!?!

lol... we've said for eight years you'd be sorry when it wasn't your "side" using the powers. Me? I didn't like them then. And I don't like them now. But I'm going to lose a heck of a lot less sleep now than I did before. (Same as you didn't lose a moment of sleep when it was Bush/Cheney destroying checks and balances, balance of power, the fourth amendment and any other myriad of improprieties.

Somehow, I suspect that if Joe Biden were to formulate policy in a back room with lobbyists and CEO's you'd be screaming at the top of your lungs.

We all knew this was going to happen the second a Democrat took office.

I only imagined that it would happen before one was inaugurated ...

Why would you imagine that? lol... the wingnuts started railing from day one... something to do with us making Baby Bush pout by being mean to him.

Someone should tell them that the circumstances of this election are a bit different from Bush's... and this president-elect is a bit different from Bush.

I thought the desperate reaching would end upon conclusion of the campaign, apparently not. What a pathetic attempt to spin something from nothing.

STILL waiting for that list of rights and protections I lost.

FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them

FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them
and you lost none of those rights

This is the worst concern trolling from a Bush voter I've ever seen.

Explain to me how covert ops in foreign countries are a violation of american's civil rights?

I don't recall anybody ever complaining that the US should not conduct covert ops on a global basis in foreign countries to capture or kill al qaeda.

Forum List

Back