Bush's approval rating at new low

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/19/bush.poll/index.html

From Paul Steinhauser
CNN Deputy Political Director

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Just 31 percent of Americans approve of how President Bush is handling his job, according to a poll released Wednesday, the fifth anniversary of the start of the Iraq war

Sixty-seven percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey disapprove of the president's performance.
The 31 percent approval number is a new low for Bush in CNN polling, and 40 points lower than the president's number at the start of the Iraq war.
"Bush's approval rating five years ago, at the start of the Iraq war, was 71 percent, and that 40-point drop is almost identical to the drop President Lyndon Johnson faced during the Vietnam War," said CNN polling director Keating Holland.
"Johnson's approval rating was 74 percent just before Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin resolution in 1964, which effectively authorized the Vietnam War. Four years later, his approval was down to 35 percent, a 39-point drop that is statistically identical to what Bush has faced so far over the length of the Iraq war," he said.
Predictably, Democrats and Republicans don't see eye to eye when it comes to Bush: 64 percent of Republicans approve of Bush's job performance, while just 9 percent of Democrats do.
The president's approval rating has been below 35 percent since October and has not cracked 40 percent since September 2006.

Still, Bush's approval number is still better than the lowest number for his father, George H.W. Bush, who bottomed out at 29 percent in July 1992; Jimmy Carter, who fell to 28 percent in June 1979; Richard Nixon, at 24 percent in July and August of 1974; and Harry Truman, who dipped to 22 percent in 1952.

"Lame-duck presidents presiding over unpopular wars or struggling economies have gotten low approval ratings in the past." Holland said.
"By contrast, lame ducks like Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower and Bill Clinton had robust approval ratings in their final years in office, but each one was presiding over good economic times and a country at peace."

:clap2: Way to go george!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/19/bush.poll/index.html

From Paul Steinhauser
CNN Deputy Political Director

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Just 31 percent of Americans approve of how President Bush is handling his job, according to a poll released Wednesday, the fifth anniversary of the start of the Iraq war

Sixty-seven percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey disapprove of the president's performance.
The 31 percent approval number is a new low for Bush in CNN polling, and 40 points lower than the president's number at the start of the Iraq war.
"Bush's approval rating five years ago, at the start of the Iraq war, was 71 percent, and that 40-point drop is almost identical to the drop President Lyndon Johnson faced during the Vietnam War," said CNN polling director Keating Holland.
"Johnson's approval rating was 74 percent just before Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin resolution in 1964, which effectively authorized the Vietnam War. Four years later, his approval was down to 35 percent, a 39-point drop that is statistically identical to what Bush has faced so far over the length of the Iraq war," he said.
Predictably, Democrats and Republicans don't see eye to eye when it comes to Bush: 64 percent of Republicans approve of Bush's job performance, while just 9 percent of Democrats do.
The president's approval rating has been below 35 percent since October and has not cracked 40 percent since September 2006.

Still, Bush's approval number is still better than the lowest number for his father, George H.W. Bush, who bottomed out at 29 percent in July 1992; Jimmy Carter, who fell to 28 percent in June 1979; Richard Nixon, at 24 percent in July and August of 1974; and Harry Truman, who dipped to 22 percent in 1952.

"Lame-duck presidents presiding over unpopular wars or struggling economies have gotten low approval ratings in the past." Holland said.
"By contrast, lame ducks like Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower and Bill Clinton had robust approval ratings in their final years in office, but each one was presiding over good economic times and a country at peace."

:clap2: Way to go george!

Yeah and Congress's approval rating is like 19%.....:clap2:
Long live the Democratic Congress....Approval rating's don't show anything but a disgust with government. Which I happen to believe both sides are guilty of ruining favorable public opinion toward the government. Bush's planning for the war consisted of going to the bathroom one night and coming up with the 'strategery' on the crapper. Congress can't spend enough money, to this and that, while the federal deficit is multiplying by the second. Just the right government in place, let me tell you.:clap2:

Yeah and Congress's approval rating is like 19%.....:clap2:
Long live the Democratic Congress....Approval rating's don't show anything but a disgust with government. Which I happen to believe both sides are guilty of ruining favorable public opinion toward the government. Bush's planning for the war consisted of going to the bathroom one night and coming up with the 'strategery' on the crapper. Congress can't spend enough money, to this and that, while the federal deficit is multiplying by the second. Just the right government in place, let me tell you.:clap2:

No No, the minority republicans are the reason congress is at 19 percent, don't cha know?

No No, the minority republicans are the reason congress is at 19 percent, don't cha know?

I love how republicans always point to congress whenever Bush's shitty ratings come up, as if congress is this monolithic democratic outfit. It is nearly 50/50...and what people don't LIKE about congress is that they can't seem to get much done..and the biggest reason for that is the republicans in the senate.

and another tidbit the republicans always tend to ignore is the fact that every single time - since before the 2006 midterms -that poll respondents have been asked to grade the democrats IN congress against the republicans IN congress, the democrats have ALWAYS been rated higher.:rofl:

I love how republicans always point to congress whenever Bush's shitty ratings come up, as if congress is this monolithic democratic outfit. It is nearly 50/50...and what people don't LIKE about congress is that they can't seem to get much done..and the biggest reason for that is the republicans in the senate.

and another tidbit the republicans always tend to ignore is the fact that every single time - since before the 2006 midterms -that poll respondents have been asked to grade the democrats IN congress against the republicans IN congress, the democrats have ALWAYS been rated higher.:rofl:

You apparently are blind....but keep your chin up.:eusa_whistle:
I'm not a Republican, damn I don't know how many times I have to post this.
I am a registered Independent, I will admit I am conservative in my values. That doesn't mean I have never voted Democrat because I have. Americans distrust their government, period! Republicans and Democrats but if it makes you feel better I will say Republicans again for you.

You apparently are blind....but keep your chin up.:eusa_whistle:
I'm not a Republican, damn I don't know how many times I have to post this.
I am a registered Independent, I will admit I am conservative in my values. That doesn't mean I have never voted Democrat because I have. Americans distrust their government, period! Republicans and Democrats but if it makes you feel better I will say Republicans again for you.

who is blind? the post you quoted was in response to RGS, not you. You're an independent. good for you. irrelevant to my response to RGS who is a republican.

It wasn't congress that lead us into a needless war and it wasn't congress that has allowed our economy to nearly go belly up. No one has ever heard of tax cuts during a war. Now the red ink is drowning us!

That is the GOP platform....TAX CUTS...TAX CUTS...TAX CUTS

It wasn't congress that lead us into a needless war and it wasn't congress that has allowed our economy to nearly go belly up. No one has ever heard of tax cuts during a war. Now the red ink is drowning us!

That is the GOP platform....TAX CUTS...TAX CUTS...TAX CUTS

It WAS Congress, INCLUDING DEMOCRATS that voted FOR war. Or did you miss the part where the President ask for and received Congressional authority for war?

The American people are fed up with career politicians at all levels.

The problem is that the GOP has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they do NOT believe what they wrote in the Contract With America. The GOP wants members who are career politicians, want big spending entitlements, and big brother/big government looking over your shoulder at all times.

It WAS Congress, INCLUDING DEMOCRATS that voted FOR war. Or did you miss the part where the President ask for and received Congressional authority for war?

Of course they did after bush cooked the books, farbricated lies and even sent a republican who I admire, Colin Powell to the UN to further the falsehood. Then when someone disagreed with him his ruined her career.

A few more months and we will be rid of the mental midget and his sidekick Uncle Fester DICK. Yeah, that is some class act you voted into office.

Of course they did after bush cooked the books, farbricated lies and even sent a republican who I admire, Colin Powell to the UN to further the falsehood. Then when someone disagreed with him his ruined her career.

A few more months and we will be rid of the mental midget and his sidekick Uncle Fester DICK. Yeah, that is some class act you voted into office.

Are you lefties ever going to get over your lies? Oh yeah ... you're lefties.

Nevermind.:redface:

Forum List

Back