Bush Wins Long-Sought Goal of U.S. Access for Aging Mexican Trucks

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
June 09, 2004

The Supreme Court's unanimous ruling this week giving President Bush the authority to allow approximately 30,000 Mexican trucks onto U.S. roads marks the culmination of a long campaign by Mr. Bush. During his tenure as governor of Texas, President Bush signed a letter to the Clinton Administration criticizing its refusal to open the border to Mexican trucks. [1]

In 2001, under the North American Free Trade Agreement, the Bush administration issued new regulations that would allow tens of thousands of aging trucks from Mexico to haul freight anywhere in the U.S. without having to meet U.S. clean air standards. Mexican trucks pose a greater pollution risk than trucks licensed in the U.S., which must adhere to stricter emission standards.

The regulations were delayed through a lawsuit filed by a broad coalition of organizations including Public Citizen, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, the American Lung Association, the California Federation of Labor AFL-CIO, the California Trucking Association, the Sierra Club and the Natural Resources Defense Council. The groups argued that the regulations disregarded key requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the Clean Air Act. They pointed out that the administration should have considered the environmental impacts of opening the border.

The Supreme Court's decision, overturning a ruling by the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, also means the administration will not have to do a detailed environmental impact study.

"This ruling gives a green light to allow trucks to cross the border with no regard for their effect on the environment," said Public Citizen President Joan Claybrook. "Communities on both sides of the border are already struggling with severely polluted air. This ruling in essence tells those communities they must fend for themselves, because the federal government isn't going to help them by ever acknowledging or accurately describing the impact of its own decisions on their air quality."

The older, Mexican diesel trucks are more likely to emit high levels of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides. [2] The fine particles composing this pollution are easily inhaled deep into the lungs where they can remain embedded for long periods of time. Hundreds of community health studies have linked daily increases in fine particle pollution to reduced lung function, greater use of asthma medications, and increased rates of school absenteeism, emergency room visits, hospital admissions, and premature death. [3] Exhaust is also a known carcinogen. [4]

"This is yet another example of how the Bush administration's approach to trade puts communities at risk and weakens our hard-won clean air protections," said Stephen Mills, director of the Sierra Club's International Program. "The Bush administration shouldn't put trade deals ahead of public health. Instead they should make sure that environmental protections are part of trade agreements."

source

Never fear, nycflasher. The Corporate Media will be sure to take good pic's of the few new ones coming across the border and publically proclaim their paid for belief in "What's the prob'? But then again, what's the difference when the insurance companies have already exonerated themselves from liabilities when it comes to accidents involving internationally licensed motor carriers. It's a win/win thing for so-called capitalism/free market, don't you think?

Psychoblues

Well, I just hope that strict emmission standards are in the fuiture for filthy Mexican trucks. I belive that prior to this, the 4.5 million Mexican trucks that cross our borders each year were not allowed to go further than 20 miles into our country.

This should be of no surprise to people familiar with Bush's enviromental record.

That and judicial appointments are two of the biggest reasons why I won't be voting for him.

Only two? I can relate hundreds, possibly thousands. No doubt about it, especially now. The shrub will not have favorable entries in the History books of tomorrow.

Psychoblues

Originally posted by Psychoblues
The shrub will not have favorable entries in the History books of tomorrow.

Psychoblues

No, I don't think he will. But I'll leave that one alone as I can't predict the future. If I could I'd be at Foxwoods right now playing blackjack.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Yep, I can see your concerns there Flasher! Bet it feels good to have a shoulder to cry on here you little fruity ass treehuger!:D

1. Only pussies cry. :D
2. Get your face out of my ass. :D
3. I told you, I'm not a "treehuger" but a tree-lover. Remember?

SE, you really crack my ass up, dude!!!!!!! So you think nyc and me have a thing? You're so homophobe!!!!!!! I'm straight as a Georgia Pine, I don't know or care concerning nyc's orientation and I'm sure he/she isn't concerned with mine. I could get crass here, but I won't.

But I love YOU anyway, Sir or not, you little titillator you.

Psychoblues

No shit, SE!!!!! Check my handle, my mantra. I don't think I could've made it any clearer.

Flasher has genuine concerns, do you address them or ignore them? Although I may not share the intensities of his/her concerns, I at least consider their validities and examine the possibillities of redress. That's the American way, or at least the American way I was taught to believe in. What were you taught?

Psychoblues

Psyco, ya know what? I think you really are Psycho!:D
Just suggesting with all the crying Flasher doe's about Bush and the enviroment that he will atleast have someone to discuss it with now! If you all dig each other, that's cool!

If you're sick of me "crying" about the enviroment, I'm sick of all the crying that goes on here about "libs" ruining America.

I, for one, am not ruining America.

'Nuff said.

Valid concerns I have alreay agreed! top priorities? not to me!
You two can go tip toeing through the tulips if you would like, I am more concerned with the safety of our troop's and keeping terrorism in check!

How safe is Bush keeping our troops?
[emphasis]Not picking a fight.[/emphasis]
Valid question.

Well now you see Flasher that is your problem! This is war, not not tag on the playground! Unfortunately they use real weapons and soldiers do get killed! would I be assuming correctly that you think the loss of life is uneccasary because you don't agree with the fact that we invaded Iraq? Would I be assuming correctly that you think we should have had the backing of the UN before invading?

What is it that Bush should be doing to make our soldiers a little safer?

Answer the question.
Who are you, Socrates?:p:

What is it that Bush should be doing to make our soldiers a little safer?
Thinking...

But to start with, not forcing soldiers to serve more time than they agreed to.

And perhaps, not enflaming the Arab world further to the point that we breed even more terrorists.

Perhaps, not going it alone in Iraq with MINIMAL troop support from the rest of the world.

Just some ideas... I'll give it more thought.

Originally posted by nycflasher
June 09, 2004

The Supreme Court's unanimous ruling this week giving President Bush the authority to allow approximately 30,000 Mexican trucks onto U.S. roads marks the culmination of a long campaign by Mr. Bush. During his tenure as governor of Texas, President Bush signed a letter to the Clinton Administration criticizing its refusal to open the border to Mexican trucks. [1]

source

Since I've been accused of being a GWB blind supporter, this is one issue I totally disagree with him on.

Just so you know:D

Good Idea! your answers so far suck outside of the time served answer!

Yeah, we should definitely be appeasing the Arab world. That would work!:rolleyes:

I never said that appeasing the Arab world was a solution to the War on Terror.

"You're answers suck", that's a good rebuttal.

Answer my question! If you can...

Well, more tommorrow. I'm out at 11. Thank God...

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Since I've been accused of being a GWB blind supporter, this is one issue I totally disagree with him on.

Just so you know:D

Many republicans are taking issue with Dub of late...
Let's see if we can't give you more reasons to unseat him :D .

Good post. Anyone we support is going to have their faults, right? And it's big of you to admit that...

To even intimate that the shrub is concerned at all with the safety of "OUR TROOPS" is an admission that you have no knowledge of his actions when it comes to "TROOPS". As a "TROOP" I never had the time or the interest to pay close attention to political manuveuring. As a Veteran, I damn well do and I can safely say that the shrub is in no way concerned with the safety of our troops or the safety of our country.

His actions have alienated us from most of the civilized world. His deployments have placed many at risk including American civilians. His insistance that we have something to fear from common Iraqi's is ridiculous and totally unsubstantiated. He has also created far more population that stand ready, willing and potentially able to do us, as Americans, harm than ever before. No sweat, he intends to murder them as he has already ordered on other innocents. He warned us of a "long war" and he is doing everything in his powers to prove he was correct. Who in hell do you think you are talking to?

Terrorism in check? Take a valium, my friend. You're in for a very long ride.

Psychoblues

Good post. Anyone we support is going to have their faults, right? And it's big of you to admit that...

Are you saying issues translate into votes against? That will never fucking happen. Kerry is too abhorrent to even contemplate voting for, kind of like voting for Fidel Castro for president.

Nah Repubs and moderates will vote in droves for Bush, the election is well in hand especially with old Ralph Nader syphoning votes away from Hanoi John.

Originally posted by Psychoblues
To even intimate that the shrub is concerned at all with the safety of "OUR TROOPS" is an admission that you have no knowledge of his actions when it comes to "TROOPS". As a "TROOP" I never had the time or the interest to pay close attention to political manuveuring. As a Veteran, I damn well do and I can safely say that the shrub is in no way concerned with the safety of our troops or the safety of our country.

His actions have alienated us from most of the civilized world. His deployments have placed many at risk including American civilians. His insistance that we have something to fear from common Iraqi's is ridiculous and totally unsubstantiated. He has also created far more population that stand ready, willing and potentially able to do us, as Americans, harm than ever before. No sweat, he intends to murder them as he has already ordered on other innocents. He warned us of a "long war" and he is doing everything in his powers to prove he was correct. Who in hell do you think you are talking to?

Terrorism in check? Take a valium, my friend. You're in for a very long ride.

Psychoblues

Lol this is always a good one!

Psycho link please to facts or proof that Bush ordered the murder of innocents. Folks this a radical leftist catch phrase meant to incite and has no place in reality whatsoever. Psych bullshit like this belongs on DU, you'll get torn up here with stupid ass statements like this.

Originally posted by OCA
Are you saying issues translate into votes against?
- Um yes, sometimes people don't vote for a candidate if they disagree on multiple issues.

That will never fucking happen.
- Teach me how to predict the future!

Kerry is too abhorrent to even contemplate voting for, kind of like voting for Fidel Castro for president.
-okay, your opinion

Nah Repubs and moderates will vote in droves for Bush, the election is well in hand especially with old Ralph Nader syphoning votes away from Hanoi John.
-that 2.5 % is real threatening. Look to see the third parties showing Americans that there are many ways to go about things, other than Bush's.

Thank you.

It will take a lot more then some Mexican trucks to make me change my avatar though:D

Forum List

Back