Bush using 9-11 grief for self promotion

spillmind

Sep 1, 2003
Palo Alto, Ca.
--:mad:<--

9/11 Victims' Kin Angered by Bush Ads

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Relatives of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and a firefighters union said Thursday they're angry that President Bush (news - web sites)'s new campaign ads include images of the destroyed World Trade Center and firefighters carrying a flag-draped stretcher through the rubble.

They say the ads are in poor taste and accuse Bush of exploiting the attacks. Bush's campaign defended the commercials as appropriate for an election about public policy and the war on terror, saying they were a tasteful reminder of what the country has been through the last three years. The campaign had said in the past that it would not use the attacks for political gain.

"It makes me sick," Colleen Kelly, who lost her brother Bill Kelly Jr., in the attacks and leads a victims families group called Peaceful Tomorrows, said Thursday. "Would you ever go to someone's grave site and use that as an instrument of politics? That truly is what Ground Zero represents to me."

"September 11th was not just a distant tragedy. It's a defining event for the future of our country," Karen Hughes, a Bush campaign adviser, told "The Early Show" on CBS on Thursday. "Obviously, all of us mourn and grieve for the victims of that terrible day, but September 11 fundamentally changed our public policy in many important ways, and I think it's vital that the next president recognize that."

The first ads started running Thursday on broadcast channels in about 80 markets in 18 states, most of which are expected to be critical to the election, and nationwide on select cable networks. The ads do not mention Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry,focusing instead on improving Bush's image after criticism by Democrats in recent months. Bush is expected to spend a large part of his $100 million war chest on ads.

One of the ads shows the charred wreckage of the twin towers with a flag flying amid the debris. Another ad — and a Spanish-language version of it — use that image as well alongside firefighters carrying a flag-draped stretcher through the rubble as sirens are heard. Firefighters are shown in all the ads.

Harold Schaitberger, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters, on Thursday called the ads disgraceful and said they should be pulled.

"We're not going to stand for him to put his arm around one of our members on top of a pile of rubble at Ground Zero during a tragedy and then stand by and watch him cut money for first responders," Schaitberger said. He said his union is politically independent even though it endorsed Kerry and has donated money to Republicans.

Barbara Minervino, a Republican from Middletown, N.J., who lost her husband, Louis, in the attacks, questioned whether Bush was "capitalizing on the event."

David Potorti, an independent from Cary, N.C., whose brother Jim died in the north tower, called the campaign's use of the images audacious.

"It's an insult to use the place where my brother died in an ad," Potorti said. "I would be just as outraged if any politician did this."

Until Bush cooperates with the federal commission that is investigating the nation's preparedness before the attacks and its response "by testifying in public under oath ... he should not be using 9/11 as political propaganda," said Kristen Breitweiser, of Middletown Township, N.J., whose husband, Ronald Breitweiser, 39, died in the World Trade Center.

"Three thousand people were murdered on President Bush's watch," Breitweiser said. "He has not cooperated with the investigation to find out why that happened."

i'm not suprised at all. with this 'positive' spin, sticking that peice of white house furniture up there with him instead of his evil cheney VP, i hope this whoring of other people's grief leads to his ousting! :mad:

Is it any wonder the head of a union is criticizing the campaigning style and ads of a Republican. Does there exist a style or ad that Bush would've put out that they wouldn't criticize? The fact is that Bush was in office and had to handle a fundamental intelligence gaffe by one Bill Clinton and the CIA under his watch. We could have very easily been done in by this act but thanks to Bush's leadership we are slowly but surely rounding up the ones responsible and recovering as a country. I'm going to get alot of blah blah propoganda from the leftists here but Bush has every right to use 9/11 in his ads. Its a leadership achievement of his. Did Bill Clinton ever use Oklahoma City to his advantage for whatever reason? YES! It doesn't matter anyway Kerry doen't have a prayer against Bush unless the friggin economy suddenly collapses in on itself or he gets his pole smoked in the Oval Office, oh wait i'm having a 90's flashback.

There's already a thread on this topic. However, since you feel the need to make another one I'll answer here too.

The ads use images for historical significance. There is nothing wrong with that. President Bush has shown more class in the past two weeks - with the congratulatory phone call and for not stooping to the childish level of Kerry et al - than all the democrats. At least he is sticking to his promise to run on his own without beating down his opponents.

i guess the relatives of the victims really have some nerve saying those things, huh?

it's astounding to see you people support this propping up of a tradedy for personal promotion.
At least he is sticking to his promise to run on his own without beating down his opponents.
yes, let's see him do it WITHOUT whoring people's grief to achieve it.
The fact is that Bush was in office and had to handle a fundamental intelligence gaffe by one Bill Clinton and the CIA under his watch.
no responsibility. AMAZING. blame the whoops in iraq on clinton! i seriously wonder how you people can believe that crap.
Did Bill Clinton ever use Oklahoma City to his advantage for whatever reason? YES!
and that was equally disgusting. the difference is, now it's ok with you, because it favors your party... still don't see the hypocrisy???
or he gets his pole smoked in the Oval Office, oh wait i'm having a 90's flashback.
there are higher priorites, including thousands of LIVES, and BILLIONS of dollars. but, hey, he got a gad damned blow job! what a terrible leader!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK

Please, this is a bunch of crap.

America was at war as a result of 9/11 and we still are! 9/11 defines our current times and climate. I think it's completely appropriate to reflect on what he has done for our country during these times.

Furthermore, the 9/11 images appeared on screen for no longer than about 3 seconds. Enough to remind the people where we were 3 years ago and who lead us through the aftermath. There was absolutely nothing offensive in the ads. Every news outlet within 3,000 miles has played thousands of videos and displayed thousands of pictures. Where's all the hoopla about that? Bush plays just a few seconds showing what he did for our country during those trying times and he gets blasted for it.

I find it funny that many would like to hold Bush responsible for what happened on that day, but find it offensive when he defends what he has done.

"Three thousand people were murdered on President Bush's watch," Breitweiser said. "He has not cooperated with the investigation to find out why that happened."

I think that line says it all. I mean these people still cant figure out why 911 happened. Here is a hint: Terrorists hijacked planes and flew them into buildings. That is why 911 happened. The Democrats seem to be in denial that there are people out there trying to kill us or think that if they are it is our fault for being so strong. This is why Kerry has no chance of being elected.

i wasn't aware that the white house had released an official report on the 9-11 incident. anyone else aware of this?

i don't hold him responsible, although the 'kiss my ass, we're AMERICA" foreign policy did little to deter such an atrocity.

There was absolutely nothing offensive in the ads.
i'm afraid there are direct family members of the victims that find the ads offensive. i simply think that it's a cheap play to use other people's suffering as a leg to stand all.

Originally posted by spillmind
i'm afraid there are direct family members of the victims that find the ads offensive. i simply think that it's a cheap play to use other people's suffering as a leg to stand all.

So in your mind he should just ignore what he did for our country during these times, even after many hold him responsible for 9/11?

Let me ask you this, have you even seen the ads yourself? 3 ads totalling 2 minutes of airtime and you'll be hard pressed to get 3 seconds of 9/11 footage out of all of them combined.

http://www.georgewbush.com/tvads/

Originally posted by spillmind
i wasn't aware that the white house had released an official report on the 9-11 incident. anyone else aware of this?

i don't hold him responsible, although the 'kiss my ass, we're AMERICA" foreign policy did little to deter such an atrocity.

Just about every political campaign, book tour, movie, welfare bill, etc. uses historically significant facts/images in their appeals. What about democrats using the Vietnam War? What was that- fiction? What about in movies, newspapers, news shows, etc. where they show images about historical acts to illustrate a point?

Just because a few people are upset about it doesn't make it wrong to have done it.

The problem is Bush is using 9/11 to beat on the Democrats, which he specifically said he wouldn't do. He's using it to attack the democrats on national security, even if the ad doesn't say it, that's the point. Republicans (led by Bush's main henchman Karl Rove) used 9/11 to beat Sen. Max Cleland of Georgia, a man who gave three limbs for his country, by accusing him of being less than patriotic. That's exactly what he's doing in a backwards way with these ads.

As for investigations, the reason why we need to look into what happened is so we can learn how to prevent. For starters, the Bush administration lifting a finger for the 9 months it was in place before the attacks would've helped. Bill Clinton left the best terrorism experts in the world working in the Justice Department and the Bush administration simply ignored them. The investigation (called for by both parties) is into what failures occured allowing the attacks to occur, and what can be done to prevent such attacks in the future.

acludem

He is running on his record. He isnt even attacking Democrats in the ad for pete's sake! How can he be using 911 to attack democrats if he isnt attacking them to begin with?!

What Bush is doing is invoking the fear of terrorism using the catastrophic images of 9/11 to attempt to bolster his position. I don't think anyone said he was doing it to attack the democrats.

"What Bush is doing is invoking the fear of terrorism using the catastrophic images of 9/11 to attempt to bolster his position. I don't think anyone said he was doing it to attack the democrats."

First did you read the post before which said:

"The problem is Bush is using 9/11 to beat on the Democrats, which he specifically said he wouldn't do. He's using it to attack the democrats on national security, even if the ad doesn't say it, that's the point. "

Considering thats what i was responding to and its the post right before mine Im not sure where you got the idea that no one said he was doing it to attack the democrats.

He is running on his record. This isnt about invoking the fear of terrorism. The Ads do no such thing. The ads show that he has clear leadership experience and has done an excellent job leading. Thats the point. That Bush has lead us through trying times and done a good job. Nowhere in the ad does he say or even imply that vote against me and terrorists will kill you. I think the fact that you guys read these things into it is more telling about yourself then Bush.

Whoring out people's grief?

Exploiting the fear of terrorism to bolster his own position?

You guys are a joke.

Oh yeah, I forgot, because Democrats have shit policy, history, and outlook when it comes to our national defense, it's simply uncouth to refer to any of those issues. Republicans are mean.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
What Bush is doing is invoking the fear of terrorism using the catastrophic images of 9/11 to attempt to bolster his position. I don't think anyone said he was doing it to attack the democrats.

Watch the ads, no such thing is taking place.

let me be more clear then, the first part of my response was intended for all, the second part was intended for acludem.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Watch the ads, no such thing is taking place.

I agree totally with that Jim. When I heard all the flap about the ads, I thought they must be really gruesome. Nothing could be further from the truth. I thought they were in good taste and were more honoring the victims than exploiting them.

Seems to me the Libs dont want the President to be able to run on his record and Mr. Kerry sure as hell cant run on his. Go figure.

Originally posted by jimnyc
DK, have you even seen the ads as of yet?

No, not yet. I havent had alot of time to watch tv, period. I'd like to eventually though, just to see what the hype really is all about. If I remember correctly though, there was a statement by the administration shortly after the attacks in '01 that the events of 9/11 would not be used for political gain. Is that not what he's doing? Maybe I'm wrong, as I said I have not seen the ads.

All in All, I do think its cool that the Bush campaign is staying away from the negative attacks as compared to Kerry, boosts my respect for it just a bit.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
No, not yet. I havent had alot of time to watch tv, period.

So you've formulated an opinion and spoken out against ads that you haven't even seen yet? :rolleyes:

Typical liberal puppet.

Watch them and get back to us if you want credibility in this thread.

Forum List

Back