Bush to India, "Don't Eat So Much"

Nate Peele

May 25, 2008
A firestorm of protest in India has ignited over a comment that George Bush made speaking in St. Louis earlier in the month.

Speaking to employees at a high-tech firm in St. Louis , Bush noted that much of the developing world was prospering and that U.S. businesses could benefit. As an example, he cited India, where the “middle class is larger than our entire population.” But “when you start getting wealth, you start demanding better nutrition and better food,” he said. “And so demand is high, and that causes the price to go up.”

I admire Bush for calling it like he saw it. You look back at Gandhi and there was an Indian. The man ate to live instead of living to eat. Nowadays Indians are gorging themselves and as Americans we owe it to them to stand by our friend and say “Hey you know you could really lose a few pounds.” We need to do the diplomatic equivalent of telling India, “Wow, are you really going to eat all that?” or “You know I’m not giving you any money to buy bigger jeans when you grow out of those.” The basic stuff I tell my 12 year old daughter whose a bit of a porker too.

Of course, even for a proud country like India the truth hurts. They were all like “Oh no he didn’t” over Bush’s remarks.

“India is not a net food importer. It is a food exporter. The assumption that prices are increasing because of a changed India is completely erroneous,” said Manish Tewari, a spokesman for the ruling Congress party.

Defense Minister AK Anthony called Bush’s remark a “cruel joke,” while an opposition member called the president the world’s new “bread inspector.”

We’re pulling for you in your struggle to lose weight. You really have a lot going for you if you’d just take off a couple of pounds. Your tech sector is booming, you’ve got a great history, you have a lot of people with nice faces. just drop the weight.

Forum List

Back