Bush takes off the gloves...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/37773|top|07-09-2004::21:05|reuters.html

Bush Launches Broadside Against 'Pessimist' Edwards

Jul 9, 8:49 PM (ET)

By Caren Bohan
YORK (Reuters) - President Bush on Friday called Democrat John Edwards a pessimist on the economy and suggested his experience as a trial lawyer would tilt him toward policies that would hurt small businesses.

At a raucous rally in York, Pennsylvania, the president launched his most aggressive broadside against Edwards since John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, named the North Carolina senator as his running mate on Tuesday.

Bush told the crowd of more than 10,000 that the U.S. economy was "moving into high gear" but he said Kerry and Edwards were ignoring the good news while insisting that "the sky is falling."

He alluded to Edwards' sunny demeanor as he criticized his and Kerry's emphasis on difficulties facing workers such as rising health-care costs and the outsourcing of jobs overseas.

"Whether the message is delivered with a frown or a smile, it's the same old pessimism," Bush said.

While the Bush administration has been cheered by a string of hefty job-growth figures this spring, job creation slowed in June, coming in at 112,000 -- about half the 235,000 pace of increase in May.

Bush sought to regain the campaign spotlight at the end of a week in which the media have focused on Edwards, seen as bringing energy and charisma to the Democratic ticket, and on a Senate Intelligence Committee report that accused spy agencies of hyping the threat of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

Reaching out to his conservative base in Pennsylvania, Bush described Kerry as a "liberal out of step with the mainstream values so important to our country and our families."

He said Edwards had the fourth most liberal voting record in the Senate, only slight behind Kerry's record as the most liberal.

He took issue with Edwards' background as a trial lawyer, blaming "frivolous lawsuits" for driving up medical insurance costs and harming small businesses.

"You can't be pro-small business and pro-trial lawyers at the same time. You have to choose. My opponent had made his choice, and put him on the ticket," Bush said.

But Kerry took a swipe at Bush, raising the issue of values to criticize Bush's past friendship with Kenneth Lay, the former chairman of Enron who was indicted this week on charges related to the energy company's descent into bankruptcy.

"Values are not just words," Kerry told a fundraiser in New York. "Values are putting the full force of the Justice Department on day one in an effort not to take three years and a few months before the election before you bring Ken Lay to justice."

At an appearance earlier in the day, Bush visited the Lapp Electrical Services company in Lancaster where he touted his tax cuts as having helped small businesses.

He also held forth at an "Ask the President" forum in Kutztown.

Bush lost Pennsylvania to Democrat Al Gore in 2000 by 4 percentage points but this year he is lavishing attention on the key battleground state, which is rich in electoral votes.

With him on the tour was his 22-year-old daughter Jenna, marking her first foray into campaigning.

"She's already given me good advice," Bush quipped of his daughter. "She said, 'Dad, change your shirt."'

(Additional reporting by Adam Entous)

ITs about freakin time.:D

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Bout time for what? taking off the gloves...or bringing jenna out?

Heheh. Yep, she could certainly raise the perverted old men vote. I know I'm registered and ready.

this revisionist history and blatant ignorance of what edwards did as a lawyer is sickening.

again, i have challenged anyone to post on here a lawsuit edwards was a part of that could be considered totally stupid or ridiciulous. i have only seen/heard/read of him carefully taking on cases where the company in question was in the wrong for sure, edwards thought he could win the case, get his client money, and get money himself. you can knock him for choosing cases carefully so he wouldn't lose and not get paid, but don't knock him for suing incorrectly or maliciously. he took on companies that got what they deserved and made the rest of the business world look bad with their improper actions/faulty material, etc etc.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
this revisionist history and blatant ignorance of what edwards did as a lawyer is sickening.

again, i have challenged anyone to post on here a lawsuit edwards was a part of that could be considered totally stupid or ridiciulous. i have only seen/heard/read of him carefully taking on cases where the company in question was in the wrong for sure, edwards thought he could win the case, get his client money, and get money himself. you can knock him for choosing cases carefully so he wouldn't lose and not get paid, but don't knock him for suing incorrectly or maliciously. he took on companies that got what they deserved and made the rest of the business world look bad with their improper actions/faulty material, etc etc.

How bout the one where he sued the doctor for giving a child cerebal paulsy during birth. He basically said he read the monitor read-outs and translated them to have the child say "something is wrong." He then went on to channel the child through himself like he was a psychic. He claimed he could feel the child through him and that she was saying not to fell pity for her, but to be strong.

http://www.anncoulter.org/
http://www.gopwing.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPrint.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200402\CUL20040202a.html

Despite the overwrought claims of Edwards' dazzling legal skills, winning jury verdicts in personal injury cases has nothing to do with legal talent and everything to do with getting the right cases -- unless "talent" is taken to mean "having absolutely no shame." Edwards specialized in babies with cerebral palsy whom he claimed would have been spared the affliction if only the doctors had immediately performed Caesarean sections.

As a result of such lawsuits, there are now more than four times as many Caesarean sections as there were in 1970. But curiously, there has been no change in the rate of babies born with cerebral palsy. As The New York Times reported: "Studies indicate that in most cases, the disorder is caused by fetal brain injury long before labor begins." All those Caesareans have, however, increased the mother's risk of death, hemorrhage, infection, pulmonary embolism and Mendelson's syndrome.

In addition, the "little guys" Edwards claims to represent are having a lot more trouble finding doctors to deliver their babies these days as obstetricians leave the practice rather than pay malpractice insurance in excess of $100,000 a year.

In one of Edwards' silver-tongued arguments to the jury on behalf of a girl born with cerebral palsy, he claimed he was channeling the unborn baby girl, Jennifer Campbell, who was speaking to the jurors through him:

"She said at 3, 'I'm fine.' She said at 4, 'I'm having a little trouble, but I'm doing OK.' Five, she said, 'I'm having problems.' At 5:30, she said, 'I need out.'"

"She speaks to you through me and I have to tell you right now -- I didn't plan to talk about this -- right now I feel her. I feel her presence. She's inside me, and she's talking to you."

Is that revisionist? I believe he did cause doctors to change the way they look at a birth merely for fear of being sued. It also drove Insurance costs for said doctors up which also drove up the costs for the individuals who see said doctors. Isn't that why so many people don't have health insurance these days? Lawyers like Edwards?

Originally posted by NATO AIR

I don't know about revisionist history, but I certainly am getting tired of the "crusader for the little guy" bit already. It's not like John Edwards was working out a small office, sweeping his own floors and doing work pro bono. Edwards became incredibly wealthy standing up for the little guy.

I like Edwards better than I do Kerry, which isn't saying much, but lets not put halo over his head just yet.

Originally posted by insein
Is that revisionist? I believe he did cause doctors to change the way they look at a birth merely for fear of being sued. It also drove Insurance costs for said doctors up which also drove up the costs for the individuals who see said doctors. Isn't that why so many people don't have health insurance these days? Lawyers like Edwards?

Good shot. I am always amazed at the number of libs who actually believe that a shyster has the best interest of a client at heart. Its all about the money.

Years ago I saw a TV documentary on frivolous suits. One unprincipled buttwipe lawyer was suing a bicycle manufacturer. It appears that his idiot client had ridden a bicycle not equipped with lights or reflectors on the public street - at night with predictable results. The rationale for the suit was that there was no warning sticker on the bike advising morons not to ride the bike in traffic at night with no lights. When asked if there should also be a sticker advising his client not to ride the bike off a cliff, the shyster replied "Let's not get ridiculous". Too late for that, already there.

Here are the highlights of the efforts of shysters like Edwards. They're called the "Stella Awards".

It's once again time to review the winners of the annual Stella Awards. The Stellas are named after 81 year old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United States.

THE 2003 STELLA AWARDS GO TO:

5th place (Tied). - Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

5th place (Tied). - 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently did not notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal the hubcaps!

5th place (Tied). - Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He could not re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for 8 days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The Jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

4th place. - Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's Beagle dog. The Beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been a little provoked at the time as Mr. Williams, who had climbed over the fence into the yard, was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd place. - A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier, during an argument.

2nd place. - Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a Night Club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out two of her front teeth. This occurred whilst Ms. Walton was trying to sneak in the window of the Ladies Room to avoid paying The $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place. - This year's runaway winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new Winnebago Motorhome. On his trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he could not actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago Motorhome. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreational vehicles
===========================================

Wonder if GW should use these in his campaign speeches? (that was just a gratuitous comment in a feeble attempt to keep this post on-topic)

Originally posted by Merlin1047
Here are the highlights of the efforts of shysters like Edwards. They're called the "Stella Awards".

It's once again time to review the winners of the annual Stella Awards. The Stellas are named after 81 year old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonald's. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most frivolous successful lawsuits in the United States.

THE 2003 STELLA AWARDS GO TO:

5th place (Tied). - Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

5th place (Tied). - 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently did not notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal the hubcaps!

5th place (Tied). - Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He could not re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for 8 days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The Jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

4th place. - Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's Beagle dog. The Beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been a little provoked at the time as Mr. Williams, who had climbed over the fence into the yard, was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

3rd place. - A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier, during an argument.

2nd place. - Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a Night Club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out two of her front teeth. This occurred whilst Ms. Walton was trying to sneak in the window of the Ladies Room to avoid paying The $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

1st Place. - This year's runaway winner was Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new Winnebago Motorhome. On his trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr.Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he could not actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new Winnebago Motorhome. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreational vehicles
===========================================

Wonder if GW should use these in his campaign speeches? (that was just a gratuitous comment in a feeble attempt to keep this post on-topic)

OMG!:eek: A never seen so many of the dumbest people on Earth before. The defendants are almost as dumb as the juries.:eek:

Forum List

Back