Bush Says God Told him to invade Afghan/Iraq

Nuc said:
The title of this topic is "Bush says God told him to invade Iraq". I doubt the literal veracity of that, but I concede that it is not necessarily a first hand statement from W. himself.

I'm just curious: if you believed that to begin with after you read the article, why all your posts supporting the article? Just like to argue and bash Bush?

This story was fraudulent, and I respect your intelligence in recognizing that. Bush would never meet with any Arab alone. There are always others in attendance at such meetings. This article was written by a Bush and America hater who wanted to get another rumor started to make Bush look bad. Just another example of liberal journalism: if there isn't a story there to be told, make one up.

Yea this sounds like another drummed up story.
Just more Bush-hating :blah2: :blah2: :blah2:

Nuc said:
Sorry, but is he hearing voices from God/gods or not? This seems to me not to be a grey area. It's an either/or thing.

Your assuming the BBC is completely accurate with this story word for word..........Right no agenda on their part.
Secondly when people pray to God or at God they are usually asking for help, guidance.........What's the point if one is to simply have a one way conversation??? Of course no one actually hears God audibly talking but usually the answer comes back in some way usually in clarity of thought, telepathy if you like, and that certainly doesn't make them crazy, if it did the majority in this country would be deemed lunatics, including me.

USMCDevilDog said:
US President George W. Bush allegedly said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal, according to details.

Bush made the claim when he met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and then foreign minister Nabil Shaath in June 2003, the ministers told the documentary series to be broadcast in Britain later this month.

Huh, I can't beleive anyone missed this part before. Typical. The fact that GW doesn't say it but some Palestinians SAY he said it is like...pretty much the same thing...right?

Has anybody ever seen the movie "Braveheart?" The Irish character, the one who talks to God all the time reminds me of Dubya.

"The Almighty says he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f*cked." :hail: :banana:

stephen1.jpg

Hagbard Celine said:
Has anybody ever seen the movie "Braveheart?" The Irish character, the one who talks to God all the time reminds me of Dubya.

"The Almighty says he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f*cked." :hail: :banana:

stephen1.jpg

Yes and he was adorable!! :)

I don't know why you girls like us ugly men:p i have yet to find a man who isnt ugly.

I meant in a persona way not that he was actually good looking. Now the other celtic prince who betrayed Wallace was "nice looking"

Hagbard Celine said:

stephen1.jpg

Looks like me on a 'bad hair day'! now your pic on profile looks like one of the "Lost Boys" a vampire wannabee! a little on the :gay: side!...LOL

GW hasnt done anything George Washington hasnt...regarding God, his religion, and its interactions with his office.

"The Writings of George Washington from the Original Manuscript Sources, 1745-1799. John C. Fitzpatrick, Editor.
[Note 77: A copy of this proclamation was sent to the executives of the States by the President in a brief form letter (October 3). This form is recorded in the "Letter Book" in the Washington Papers.]

City of New York, October 3, 1789.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee78 requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanks-giving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

[Note 78: The Senate concurred in the House resolve to this effect, September 26.]

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th. day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks, for his kind care and protection of the People of this country previous to their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war, for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.79

[Note 79: From the original in the writing of William Jackson. It was signed by Washington, who had written in the day "third" in the date.
This was the first national Thanksgiving Day proclamation under the Constitution.]

gop_jeff said:
Why is it that, when we talk to God, it's called prayer, but when God replies, it's schizophrenia or mental illness?

Because the people who feel this way don't believe in a God, or aren't sure and don't have proof, and will only believe in it if there is tangible proof. You saying "I talked with God" isn't tangible enough.

So, with that logic, just praying to something doesn't make you mentally ill. Conversing with something that some people don't believe to exist (or want tangible proof of existence) does. It's like you talk to an animal, and no one thinks you're crazy, but if you tell them your dog is talking back to you and you understand it, then people cock their head a little bit.

And I already can hear the flames raging; I'm not comparing God to an animal. So please don't accuse me of it.

The ClayTaurus said:
Because the people who feel this way don't believe in a God, or aren't sure and don't have proof, and will only believe in it if there is tangible proof. You saying "I talked with God" isn't tangible enough.

So, with that logic, just praying to something doesn't make you mentally ill. Conversing with something that some people don't believe to exist (or want tangible proof of existence) does. It's like you talk to an animal, and no one thinks you're crazy, but if you tell them your dog is talking back to you and you understand it, then people cock their head a little bit.

And I already can hear the flames raging; I'm not comparing God to an animal. So please don't accuse me of it.

That about sums it up!!!! Those non believers are "gracious enough" to allow us believers the notion of a one way conversation with God if "it makes us feel better", but we cross the line when in some way we actually get a response to those prayers, that now enters into loon territory, afterall miracles don't happen when God doesn't exist, so it's all in our minds :smoke:

gop_jeff said:
Why is it that, when we talk to God, it's called prayer, but when God replies, it's schizophrenia or mental illness?

I think it's generally accepted that prayer is one-way communication. There have been very few people outside the stories of the bible who have claimed an actual conversation with God who weren't thought a half-a-bubble off plumb. A man who claimed that God told him to blow up an abortion clinic would raise the same doubt IMO as someone who says that God told him to raise a pile of cash or God would call him to heaven, or someone who claimed that God told him to fight a war on terror. If you can't believe them all, chances are you shouldn't believe any of them.

Forum List

Back