Bush Says Disgusted by Abuse of Iraqis, Vows to Act

spillmind

Sep 1, 2003
Palo Alto, Ca.
Bush Says Disgusted by Abuse of Iraqis, Vows to Act

By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said on Friday he was deeply disgusted by the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. troops and vowed that those responsible would be "taken care of" after photographs depicting the acts were published and broadcast around the world.

The photos showed U.S. troops smiling, posing, laughing or giving the thumbs-up sign as naked, male Iraqi prisoners were stacked in a pyramid or positioned to simulate sex acts with one another.

Bush blamed a "few people" for the abuses and defended the conduct of U.S. occupation forces as the White House scrambled to head off a backlash in Iraq and across the Arab world.

"I shared a deep disgust that those prisoners were treated the way they were treated," Bush said in the White House Rose Garden after talks with Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin.

"I didn't like it one bit," Bush added. "But I also want to remind people that those few people who did that do not reflect the nature of the men and women we've sent overseas. That's not the way the people are. It's not their character, that are serving our nation in the cause of freedom."

"And there will be an investigation," Bush said of the actions of the troops. "I think they'll be taken care of."

Democratic presidential rival John Kerry said he was "troubled" by what he called "the evidence of shameful mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners," and called on the military to take "appropriate action."

The photos, which appeared on television and in newspapers, showed U.S. troops abusing some of the Iraqis held at the Abu Ghraib prison, a notorious center of torture and executions under toppled President Saddam Hussein's government.

One Iraqi man had a slur written on his skin in English. Another was directed by Americans to stand on a box with his head covered, and wires attached to his hands, and was informed that if he fell off the box, he would be electrocuted.

ARAB WORLD

The publicity could not have been worse in the Arab world with the sexual humiliation depicted in the pictures particularly shocking.

Before condemning U.S. abuses at the prison, Bush praised his decision to remove of Saddam. "There are no longer torture chambers or rape rooms or mass graves in Iraq," he said.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan called the abuses "despicable," and said the military is pursuing criminal charges against those responsible. "We need to let that process work," he said.

He said Bush has "known about it (the charges) for a while," but did not say which images he had seen.

Officials said on Thursday that the U.S. military is weighing disciplinary action against the Army general who was in command of the prison on the western outskirts of Baghdad.

Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, in charge of the prison, could be relieved of her command, blocked from promotion or receive a letter of reprimand after a noncriminal administrative investigation relating to events at Abu Ghraib prison, said Col. Jill Morgenthaler, a military spokeswoman in Baghdad.

The U.S. military now holds several thousand prisoners at Abu Ghraib, most of them rounded up on suspicion of carrying out attacks against U.S.-led forces.

The U.S. military announced on March 20 it had brought criminal charges against six soldiers with the 800th Military Police Brigade, which could lead to courts-martial.

The charges, stemming from a probe launched in January, relate to accusations of abuse carried out in November and December 2003 on around 20 detainees at the prison.

The charges included indecent acts with another person, maltreatment, battery, dereliction of duty and aggravated assault. It was unclear whether the charges were connected directly with the photos.

related link
here

oooooh, OK! carpet bombing, dropping cluster bombs are OK, but this isn't??? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK. the cognitive dissonance of this administration has reached an all time high on the hypocrisy meter. how you bushies can stomach it is ASTOUNDING.

Originally posted by spillmind
oooooh, OK! carpet bombing, dropping cluster bombs are OK, but this isn't??? GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK. the cognitive dissonance of this administration has reached an all time high on the hypocrisy meter. how you bushies can stomach it is ASTOUNDING.

One is an act of war and the other is abuse of prisoners. Abusing prisoners is not an act of war. I also believe the torture of prisoners is against the Geneva convention (not sure on that).

Can you really not see the difference between the two?

In war I expect both sides to use their military power to overwhelm and defeat the enemy. I also expect both sides to treat any captives appropriately and in a humane manner. The soldiers who abused these prisoners and those that allowed it will hopefully be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

Do you have a relative who posts here as Bullypulpit? :)

In every armed force I believe you will find some level of cruelty. When this occurs in the US armed forces, those responsible are identified, court martialed and punished. Our enemy in Iraq would reward such behavior. This is another reason we are the liberators and they are the oppressors.

Originally posted by jewettjim
In every armed force I believe you will find some level of cruelty. When this occurs in the US armed forces, those responsible are identified, court martialed and punished. Our enemy in Iraq would reward such behavior. This is another reason we are the liberators and they are the oppressors.

Excellent observation jim and welcome to the boards.

"I also believe the torture of prisoners is against the Geneva convention (not sure on that)."

I think you are correct on that Jim

"He {Scott McClellan} said Bush has "known about it (the charges) for a while," but did not say which images he had seen.

Its good that hes responding now but the possibility that he might have known about it before is troubleing.

Got to agree with the reasonable ones, in any 'organization' there are sadistic losers. If these pictures are real, they perps should be held up to military law and dealt with as harshly as possible. If this was someone's idea of a joke and it got out of hand, they still need to face a court martial, as it puts the military in an awful position.

That said, it was a small number of members responsible, to blame the administration, the entire military, DOD, etc., is just partisan goobledegoop.

Am I the only one who finds this funny and doesn't give a shit? There is a famous saying "all's fair in love and war", let these guys blow off some steam by fucking with these guys, they are not torturing or killing them, are they? Fuck the Geneva convention! These sob's are the enemy! Who knows how many Americans or Iraqis for that matter these pricks smoked.

No OCA your not the only one. In fact they kind of looked like the
"unknow Iraqi" !! :D

Originally posted by OCA
Am I the only one who finds this funny and doesn't give a shit? There is a famous saying "all's fair in love and war", let these guys blow off some steam by fucking with these guys, they are not torturing or killing them, are they? Fuck the Geneva convention! These sob's are the enemy! Who knows how many Americans or Iraqis for that matter these pricks smoked.

Yea but the point is we're better than these animals.

All kidding aside, we must not let ourselves slip to their level. I must say though after how our guys have been treated it is hard to not derive some pleasure out of it.

I understand how you feel, yet seems the worst treatment of our guys are coming from here.

Originally posted by OCA

I see your point. After watching the news tonight,I am not so sure I would call this torture. Maybe serious humiliation,But what I saw,didn't seem like torture. I'm not saying they were right, I kind of think they were just blowing off steam too. I guess it wasn't such a good example to be setting.

I also saw something on the news about some British soldiers taking a leak on some Iraqis ,I think it was. Not gonna go over well!

Its like, you know every media outlet in the world is looking for anything to shit on you. So why do you give them anything? These soldiers have disgraced their fellow soldiers and have put them further into harms way.

Because what those troops may have done equalls killing them, burning them, and hanging their charred bodies from a bridge.

:-/

:rolleyes:

I know we almost have an example to set,and like I said,don't know that it was right what they did. Part of me though wonders what those people would have done to our soldiers had things been the other way around. I guess I have mixed feelings,but I know we are going to be pounded. CNN is allready saying that Bush has to be terribly embarrassed since he pushes so hard for human rights in Iraq. Great,now somehow this is Bush's fault!

Its a double standard that the media sets but thats the way it is. We have to take the high road. I know it sucks, but if we're going to lead the world, we have to act responsibly. Otherwise we might as well have dropped nukes and made the Middle East a big parking lot already.

Great,now somehow this is Bush's fault!
oh no, he's completely absolved of any wrong doing in this war. remember, he is on a theological mission here. (i mean, he sends our troops in for his steady cause) :confused: no, he didn't do it with his own hands, but he did commission this war. :rolleyes:

when we condone tactics like dropping cluster bombs, bombing legitimate businesses (hunting terror) and an occupation vs. a co-existence (not to say this is because we haven't tried), it's easy to see why support is slipping for the war not only domestically, but collectively among iraqis as well. and just because this story got out, you really think this is the only case? besides, what genius (traitor) let this crap get out to the mainstream media anyhow? :tinfoil:

taking the higher is not the easy road, but's it's the only road if we seek to achieve whatever we set off to achieve. whatever that may be....? so far, by and large the biggest flip-flop i've seen in bush's admin has been his initial shunning of the UN, and now the 180° to desperately needing the UN, and an arab coalition prescence to ever give iraq any hope of stability, let alone 'fighting the war on terror'. :laugh: ahem.

...um, how could you *not* see this coming? :(

Originally posted by spillmind
oh no, he's completely absolved of any wrong doing in this war. remember, he is on a theological mission here. (i mean, he sends our troops in for his steady cause) :confused: no, he didn't do it with his own hands, but he did commission this war. :rolleyes:

taking the higher is not the easy road, but's it's the only road if we seek to achieve whatever we set off to achieve. whatever that may be....? so far, by and large the biggest flip-flop i've seen in bush's admin has been his initial shunning of the UN, and now the 180° to desperately needing the UN, and an arab coalition prescence to ever give iraq any hope of stability, let alone 'fighting the war on terror'. :laugh: ahem.

...um, how could you *not* see this coming? :(

Remember this:
1 Thessalonians chapter 5
King James Version
1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

"Safety" and "security" in original greek and hebrew texts in context is interchangable.

Click here:
http://www.google.com/search?num=10...&safe=off&q="peace+and+security"+&btnG=Search

Just look at the first oh, I dunno. -FIFTY listings.

I hope this gives you chills.

Forum List

Back