Bush pushes CAFTA

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
By Nedra Pickler
AP
05/13/05 7:53 AM PT
President Bush tried yesterday to break congressional resistance to a free-trade agreement with Central American nations by arguing that open markets will help improve security and promote freedom in the Western hemisphere.

Bush welcomed the presidents of the Dominican Republic and the five Central American countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua to the White House for a private Oval Office meeting and a public show of unity in the Rose Garden.

"The best way to achieve peace and prosperity for our hemisphere is by strengthening democracy and continuing the economic transformation of Central America and the Dominican Republic," Bush said. "And all of us agree that the Central American and Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement presents us with an historic opportunity to advance our common goals in an important part of our neighborhood."

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/W7HG3CHYqZ8CQH/Bush-Lobbies-for-CAFTA.xhtml

ScreamingEagle said:
President Bush tried yesterday to break congressional resistance to a free-trade agreement with Central American nations by arguing that open markets will help improve security and promote freedom in the Western hemisphere.

Bush welcomed the presidents of the Dominican Republic and the five Central American countries of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua to the White House for a private Oval Office meeting and a public show of unity in the Rose Garden.

"The best way to achieve peace and prosperity for our hemisphere is by strengthening democracy and continuing the economic transformation of Central America and the Dominican Republic," Bush said. "And all of us agree that the Central American and Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement presents us with an historic opportunity to advance our common goals in an important part of our neighborhood."

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/W7HG3CHYqZ8CQH/Bush-Lobbies-for-CAFTA.xhtml

At least he's doing one thing right with Latin America!

I have to disagree with GOP Jeff on this one..GW is just putting another nail in the GOP coffin on this...As if it were not enough that jobs were outsourced to Mexico in order to chase the low wage mentality of American Corporations(Used loosely)..It has been said that chasing jobs in Central America is the effect of getting three Central American workers for the price of one Mexican.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "Free Trade" It is a scam to get poverty level wage earners... in order to bolster the CEO's Bonus packages...
This was done with the "China" agreement as well.Central Americas exports(GNP) are equal to the production and GNP of the city of Austin,Texas...

Please explain to me how this will help the General US population (wage earner)who... is or is that was... the backbone of the U.S.economy...This will do absolutely nothing to reduce the "Trade Deficit"....This has got to stop!

archangel said:
Please explain to me how this will help the General US population (wage earner)who... is or is that was... the backbone of the U.S.economy...This will do absolutely nothing to reduce the "Trade Deficit"....This has got to stop!

Cheaper goods for consumers and a more efficient economy, to name two things. Same thing that happened when NAFTA was signed. Not to mention the further alienation of Castro's Cuba.

archangel said:
I have to disagree with GOP Jeff on this one..GW is just putting another nail in the GOP coffin on this...As if it were not enough that jobs were outsourced to Mexico in order to chase the low wage mentality of American Corporations(Used loosely)..It has been said that chasing jobs in Central America is the effect of getting three Central American workers for the price of one Mexican.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "Free Trade" It is a scam to get poverty level wage earners... in order to bolster the CEO's Bonus packages...
This was done with the "China" agreement as well.Central Americas exports(GNP) are equal to the production and GNP of the city of Austin,Texas...

I understand it may hurt the U.S. sugar industry somewhat but what other/how many U.S. jobs will be lost as a result of this?

ScreamingEagle said:
I understand it may hurt the U.S. sugar industry somewhat but what other/how many U.S. jobs will be lost as a result of this?
with the trade agreement, how many central american workers will be allowed in on visas to work?

GOP Jeff and Screaming Eagle...If we lose most if not all our US wage earner jobs...then who will lower cost of products benefit...also "sugar" get real...most electronic,automotive parts,and general factory jobs are what is being outsourced...Companys are looking to find the cheapest labor they can find....sorry this is the reason...It will have zero effect on national security... this is just another scam...and I for one am really getting tired of both parties putting this BS out there...How dumb do they think Middle America is.....geez!

archangel said:
GOP Jeff and Screaming Eagle...If we lose most if not all our US wage earner jobs...then who will lower cost of products benefit...also "sugar" get real...most electronic,automotive parts,and general factory jobs are what is being outsourced...Companys are looking to find the cheapest labor they can find....sorry this is the reason...It will have zero effect on national security... this is just another scam...and I for one am really getting tired of both parties putting this BS out there...How dumb do they think Middle America is.....geez!

How many jobs will be actually lost?

Also, won't this be good American competition to China?

archangel said:

I don't have any security concerns. I think it's a great plan. Companies will be able to manufacture products for less money, which means cheaper goods for all American consumers.

It is not the number of jobs we may loose because of CAFTA that should be your concern. The over effect that CAFTA has on the United States economy with respect to its trade deficit with rest of the world is the real issue.

Most economists and the Federal Reserve already believe that our countries trade deficit is too big to be sustainable. If CAFTA has a negative effect on US trade, then the dollar will continue to weaken until foreign countries buy more US goods or American companies realize that can’t afford to buy foreign goods because the US currency has became too weak.

The overall effect of CAFTA is hard to say; because United States corporations are already sending any job they can to Asia. Maybe moving some of these jobs to Central American is better; because American can keep these countries more under the gun, sort of speak, than we can with China.

gop_jeff said:
I don't have any security concerns. I think it's a great plan. Companies will be able to manufacture products for less money, which means cheaper goods for all American consumers.

Wonderful...cheaper products for less money...and pray tell how do you propose to pay for them when we all are out of work? I for one am okay(retired)...it's my kids and grandkids I worry about...and you? Also the Mexican workers at this time cannot afford to buy our products...and you think it will get better for them and the Central Americans...not to mention the products they produce in Mexico...they steal the cardbored boxes and pallets to build homes close to work..Do you want the same for your kids? :bangheads

Markainion said:
It is not the number of jobs we may loose because of CAFTA that should be your concern. The over effect that CAFTA has on the United States economy with respect to its trade deficit with rest of the world is the real issue.

Most economists and the Federal Reserve already believe that our countries trade deficit is too big to be sustainable. If CAFTA has a negative effect on US trade, then the dollar will continue to weaken until foreign countries buy more US goods or American companies realize that can’t afford to buy foreign goods because the US currency has became too weak.

The overall effect of CAFTA is hard to say; because United States corporations are already sending any job they can to Asia. Maybe moving some of these jobs to Central American is better; because American can keep these countries more under the gun, sort of speak, than we can with China.

OMG do you really believe that this will transfer Chinas US Corporation... outsourced jobs... to Central America and Mexico...They will stay there and the corporations will play them both at the cost of US workers jobs...get real we are all not as dumb as you executives think!

Markainion said:

Yes, but it is trade deficits which cause job loss, right? Because manufacturing goes to foreign countries instead of staying here in the U.S. It is my understanding that NAFTA caused bigger trade deficits which caused lost jobs in the U.S. of about 3 million actual and potential jobs from 1994 to 2000. However, we have had a trade deficit for nearly 30 years now so NAFTA is not entirely at fault.

http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/briefingpapers_bp118

After reading this data I wonder how much damage CAFTA may do. Or is it just going to shift some of the manufacturing from China to Central America? Or perhaps from Mexico to Central America?

ScreamingEagle said:
Yes, but it is trade deficits which cause job loss, right? Because manufacturing goes to foreign countries instead of staying here in the U.S. It is my understanding that NAFTA caused bigger trade deficits which caused lost jobs in the U.S. of about 3 million actual and potential jobs from 1994 to 2000. However, we have had a trade deficit for nearly 30 years now so NAFTA is not entirely at fault.

http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/briefingpapers_bp118

After reading this data I wonder how much damage CAFTA may do. Or is it just going to shift some of the manufacturing from China to Central America? Or perhaps from Mexico to Central America?

I say bring our jobs home...nothing less will do!

archangel said:
OMG do you really believe that this will transfer Chinas US Corporation... outsourced jobs... to Central America and Mexico...They will stay there and the corporations will play them both at the cost of US workers jobs...get real we are all not as dumb as you executives think!

No, but I think American corporation and politicians are becoming worried about China. China isn’t playing ball the way Washington wants with respect to North Korea, and there is allot of concern about how China runs their economy. The Yuan is considered way undervalues, and China is stubborn with respect to reevaluating it, even though the Unites States and Europe is pressuring them to do so. China also tends to overlook intellectual property rights of other countries, and is the biggest source of knockoffs in the world.

Overall CAFTA is just another option for American companies, to do what ever they want to do. For good or bad only the future will tell.

Forum List

Back