I

Itsthetruth

Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:00:00 AM PST

Bush plan threatens vets
Administration's proposed cuts could hit 3 long-term care homes in state
By Lisa Friedman, Washington Bureau

Los Angeles Daily News
March 27, 2005

California's three long-term care homes for elderly U.S. veterans could lose $18 million under a Bush administration plan to withhold funds for nearly all veterans, state officials say. If Congress approves the change, the shortfall would hit existing facilities in Barstow, Chula Vista and Yountville, probably forcing a reduction in services. The policy also could put a budget squeeze on state veterans' long-term care facilities under development in West Los Angeles, Lancaster and the Ventura County community of Saticoy, according to critics and officials.

And, some say, it sends a painful signal to soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Destruction" is what 75-year-old Bill Jackson, a longtime resident of the Veterans Home of California in Barstow, predicted the cuts would mean for Veterans Administration nursing home care in Southern California.

The budget proposal could translate into a $1.4 million loss for Barstow alone, and a likely reduction of services at all three state VA nursing homes, according to California officials.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%7E20954%7E2784333,00.html

Itsthetruth said:
Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 12:00:00 AM PST

Bush plan threatens vets
Administration's proposed cuts could hit 3 long-term care homes in state
By Lisa Friedman, Washington Bureau

Los Angeles Daily News
March 27, 2005

California's three long-term care homes for elderly U.S. veterans could lose $18 million under a Bush administration plan to withhold funds for nearly all veterans, state officials say. If Congress approves the change, the shortfall would hit existing facilities in Barstow, Chula Vista and Yountville, probably forcing a reduction in services. The policy also could put a budget squeeze on state veterans' long-term care facilities under development in West Los Angeles, Lancaster and the Ventura County community of Saticoy, according to critics and officials.

And, some say, it sends a painful signal to soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Destruction" is what 75-year-old Bill Jackson, a longtime resident of the Veterans Home of California in Barstow, predicted the cuts would mean for Veterans Administration nursing home care in Southern California.

The budget proposal could translate into a $1.4 million loss for Barstow alone, and a likely reduction of services at all three state VA nursing homes, according to California officials.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%7E20954%7E2784333,00.html

One thing idiots and fools like you need to realize, is that our Veteran population is in a major decline. Especially (which is the most important category of veterans) the number of veterans with service connected disabilities. Sure, there are new SC disabled veterans being created each week in Iraq, etc., but compared to the number after WWII, Korea and Vietnam, their numbers are not nearly as high. What this article does not make clear is that all the cuts target veterans that are getting benefits from the VA for disabilities that have NOTHING to do with their time in the military. The same medical benefits (actually better) are available through social security disability.

freeandfun1 said:
One thing idiots and fools like you need to realize, is that our Veteran population is in a major decline. Especially (which is the most important category of veterans) the number of veterans with service connected disabilities. Sure, there are new SC disabled veterans being created each week in Iraq, etc., but compared to the number after WWII, Korea and Vietnam, their numbers are not nearly as high. What this article does not make clear is that all the cuts target veterans that are getting benefits from the VA for disabilities that have NOTHING to do with their time in the military. The same medical benefits (actually better) are available through social security disability.

I'm a 60% Service Connected Disabled Veteran myself free, and do you see me whining? No. Because none of what is "proposed" as a "cut" will effect me, or anyone else who is, as you already pointed out, "service connected".

What this turd wants to do free is just post as much dog shit as he can dig up on the internet about President Bush. There's no other reason. He/she has no real concern about any of the subject matter, just so as it appears to be biased against the President. He's picking up the liberal slack where pulpit drops off.

If I had to profile this piece of shit, I'd have to say he/she was a lonely, not very well educated person, who isn't very well liked in life. He/she is angry, and doesn't know why. He/she is also very confused, about a great many things.

I have mixed feelings about this. I believe Veterans should be granted Medical Care to some extent for life - regardless of the nature of their illness, or it's connection (or lack) to their service. As-is, because of my Service-connected rating (having a rating period) I can be seen free-of-charge at the local VA hospital; I'd be required to pay only $7 for each prescription, if required for my treatment.

As this proposed cut seems to only remove the $59 per day, I think it'd be very reasonable to ask Veterans to pay that amount, or part of that amount. Perhaps have a 'case-by-case' policy where those who have NO income can still get the care they need? Retired Military still receive free medical care - perhaps they can shoulder more of the burden? The thing is, everyone should pay 'something'. $59/day for hospital Medical care would be a VERY little expense for me. Perhaps $59 per night in the hospital and $20 per doctor's visit + that $7 per perscription would be a good plan?

I'm hoping a sort of compromise can be reached.

-=d=- said:
I have mixed feelings about this. I believe Veterans should be granted Medical Care to some extent for life - regardless of the nature of their illness, or it's connection (or lack) to their service. As-is, because of my Service-connected rating (having a rating period) I can be seen free-of-charge at the local VA hospital; I'd be required to pay only $7 for each prescription, if required for my treatment.

As this proposed cut seems to only remove the $59 per day, I think it'd be very reasonable to ask Veterans to pay that amount, or part of that amount. Perhaps have a 'case-by-case' policy where those who have NO income can still get the care they need? Retired Military still receive free medical care - perhaps they can shoulder more of the burden? The thing is, everyone should pay 'something'. $59/day for hospital Medical care would be a VERY little expense for me. Perhaps $59 per night in the hospital and $20 per doctor's visit + that $7 per perscription would be a good plan?

I'm hoping a sort of compromise can be reached.

My son is also a service connected disabled vet, but his rating is only 30%. He gets free care pertaining to his service connected injury, but if he wants to go to the V.A. Hospital for treatment for something else, he has to pay. Either with Champhus, or some other form of medical insurance, or out of his pocket. He also has to pay for his perscriptions.

While I was working at the V.A. Hospital in Phoenix, and going to school, I got a letter that pertained to cutting hospital benefits for veterans, but that it wouldn't be effecting me. I didn't know it, but the V.A. hospital in Phoenix, and others around the country I believe, had been treating veterans who were not service connected, and it was a massive financial drain.

I'm not 100% sure who is and isn't eligible for hospital benefits. I could find out easily enough I suppose if I wanted to take the time to do the research. But it's my feelings that "only" service connected veterans should get free treatment from V.A. hospitals, and then to the degree to match how bad you really are. But also those who did their 20 years. If you were never injured at all while you were in the military, then go to a regular hospital like everyone else. Save the V.A. care for those who really need it, and deserve it.

Pale Rider said:
My son is also a service connected disabled vet, but his rating is only 30%. He gets free care pertaining to his service connected injury, but if he wants to go to the V.A. Hospital for treatment for something else, he has to pay. Either with Champhus, or some other form of medical insurance, or out of his pocket. He also has to pay for his perscriptions.

While I was working at the V.A. Hospital in Phoenix, and going to school, I got a letter that pertained to cutting hospital benefits for veterans, but that it wouldn't be affecting me. I didn't know it, but the V.A. hospital in Phoenix, and others around the country I believe, had been treating veterans were not service connected.

I'm not 100% sure who is and isn't eligible for hospital benefits. I couldn find out easy enough I suppose if I wanted to take the time to do the research. But it's my feelings that "only" service connected veterans should get free treatment from V.A. hospitals, and then to the degree to match how bad you really are. If you were never injured at all while you were in the military, then go to a regular hospital like everyone else. Save the V.A. care for those who really need it, and deserve it.

Have your son double-check. I received a call from the VA stating "because you have 'a' Disability rating, you can be seen free of charge for all medical care - with your only cost being prescriptions". I'll look for the letter which was sent to me, and try to scan and post it for you.

I'd argue there are people w/o a service connected dissability who need Free/Low cost medical care MORE...At least service-connected personnel receive $$...and a decent amount.

at 30% with NO spouse/dependants, it's $325/month.

30% with spouse and one child it's: $391/month + $19 extra for each child.

The $839 you should be getting every month is a large sum of money; It could easily offset a $20 co-pay, etc, at the VA, if that were the case.

I know vets who barely make $400 a week (some are in school, etc...)

Pale Rider said:
But it's my feelings that "only" service connected veterans should get free treatment from V.A. hospitals, and then to the degree to match how bad you really are. If you were never injured at all while you were in the military, then go to a regular hospital like everyone else. Save the V.A. care for those who really need it, and deserve it.

I agree 100%.

-=d=- said:
Have your son double-check. I received a call from the VA stating 'because you have 'a' Disability rating, you can be seen free of charge for all medical care - with your only cost being prescriptions'. I'll look for the letter which was sent to me, and try to scan and post it for you.

I'd argue there are people w/o a service connected disability who need Free/Low cost medical care MORE...At least service-connected personnel receive $$...and a decent amount.

at 30% with NO spouse/Dependants, it's $325/month.

30% with spouse and one child it's: $391/month + $19 extra for each child.

The $839 you should be getting every month is a large sum of money; It could easily offset a $20 co-pay, etc, at the VA, if that were the case.

I know vets who barely make $400 a week (some are in school, etc...)

My understanding though is that the VA hospital system was set up specifically to address those injured while serving in the military. Serving a two or three year hitch, in my opinion, should not qualify one for VA medical treatment. The VA system needs to focus on those injured while serving so that it can provide THEM with the BEST care possible. If you water down the system treating every vet that needs medical care, those that DESERVE it the most will be shortchanged.

JMHO!

freeandfun1 said:
My understanding though is that the VA hospital system was set up specifically to address those injured while serving in the military.
'tis what I though too, until I received that call, then the subsequent information by mail. Thus, I haven't used the system, even FOR my Service-connected injuries.

Serving a two or three year hitch, in my opinion, should not qualify one for VA medical treatment. The VA system needs to focus on those injured while serving so that it can provide THEM with the BEST care possible. If you water down the system treating every vet that needs medical care, those that DESERVE it the most will be shortchanged.

It wouldn't be wattered down - it'd be 'not free'. That's it :)

But I know what you are saying...one primary reason I haven't used the care is because I couldn't stand to sit in chairs waiting to be seen for 'knee/leg pain' while the guy next to me has no knees/legs...I just don't feel 'worthy' I suppose.

-=d=- said:
'tis what I though too, until I received that call, then the subsequent information by mail. Thus, I haven't used the system, even FOR my Service-connected injuries.

It wouldn't be wattered down - it'd be 'not free'. That's it :)

But I know what you are saying...one primary reason I haven't used the care is because I couldn't stand to sit in chairs waiting to be seen for 'knee/leg pain' while the guy next to me has no knees/legs...I just don't feel 'worthy' I suppose.

Just for the record, what I meant by "watering it down" was that if doctors are treating a guy that is dieing because he was in a car wreck, then the doctors cannot spend time treating the guy dieing of wounds received in war.

Also for the record, my father was treated in VA hospitals for his heart condition before he died that had nothing to do with his time in service. So I understand your points, etc. He got it all free which was nice, but even though it was my dad, I think in many ways it was unfair. Especially to those that his needs *might* have been taking resources from.

Vets should be taken care of - period. Perhaps though some kind of needs basis needs to be applied.

Recently a vet called into a radio talkshow and he was bitching about the cuts. Now, in the same call, he admitted that he was being treated for exposure to asbestos that he received AFTER he got out of the military while working for his employer. I called in and said that he should go after the employer and stop burdening the system with an illness that he gained from working for somebody else for over 20 years. I guess that is what I am getting at. Too many abuse the VA system.

Again, all this is JMO since I have no dog in this race (right now).

In the end, vets need to be taken care of. But again, we cannot allow the system to be abused as it takes away from those, as you alluded to, that have lost a leg, eye, arm, etc.

Well, my experiences in V.A. hospitals have been mixed. But most of the time the hospitals are so packed that, you get there fifteen minutes early like your letter states, and then you're not seen until two or three hours after your appointment time. The V.A. hospitals are taking care of too many people. It's completely over burdened as it is.

-=d=-, my son did sign up at the V.A. in Phoenix when he moved down there, and they told him that he could get totally free care by them doing some "waver", and think also that there was a time limit on it. I'll have to talk to him about it again.

Thanks for looking for that letter.

Pale Rider said:
But most of the time the hospitals are so packed that, you get there fifteen minutes early like your letter states, and then you're not seen until two or three hours after your appointment time. The V.A. hospitals are taking care of too many people. It's completely over burdened as it is.

Yup...I'd only use a VA hospital/clinic as a last resort; not to insult the level of care I'd get, but simply to keep my seat open for a guy who REALLY needs the No/Low-cost care.

freeandfun1 said:
I guess that is what I am getting at. Too many abuse the VA system.

That is so very true. I've seen plenty of it first hand. I've met more than one asswipe that made a career out of seeing what they could get from the V.A. One told me once, "just keep applying for increased benefits, they'll give it to you sooner or later just to get you off their backs". I could have knocked the shit bag out.

I'm a little worried about my recent 'please increase my rating' request; yet I know of people who complain of paint/problems MUCH less than I do, and they are at 10 or 20% higher of a rating. It's sort of frustrating. I don't want to scam the system; yet I'll take what I am legally authorized to take. It just blows me away how people who seem much healthier than I am get a much higher rating. I've read the compensation is for 'impacts towards future earnings' yet i've seen guys rated at 50% for 'back pain' make their living just fine as plumbers, etc. I'm currently rated at 20% - I feel justified in hoping for another 10% increase, as the severity of my pain has increased three-fold in frequency and intensity. Also, there's a condition I'm currently being treated for which was in my records as having occurred on active duty, yet the VA cited "there is no evidence the condition occurred in, or was aggrivated by your service". I sent in a photocopy of my record, with the condition highlighted and a couple of letters from people who know me, and my current doctor, in hopes of changing their minds.

We'll see.

Well I know from experience, that getting something done inside the V.A. system is "painfully" slow... :D

But my son gets 30% because he broke his leg in the Army. He broke both lower bones, and he now has a titanium rod inside one of the bones. It hurts him bad at times. I've seen him in pretty bad pain, and pain IS compensable. I know the V.A. also has some kind of chart. It lays out what is worth what. Like the lose of an eye is worth this, an arm, this, etc.. And actually, my total disability adds up to 80%, but they won't pay me that. I know people who were rated at 150% percent disabled, but can only get 100%. It's a screwy thing to have to deal with, but I'd say if you feel you're due, then by all means go for it. But be ready for the long haul getting it. The only thing is, the longer they take to give it to you, if and when you get it, it'll be RETROACTIVE!

Nice check.

Pale Rider said:
But be ready for the long haul getting it. The only thing is, the longer they wait to give it to you, if and when you get it, it'll be RETROACTIVE!

Nice check.

They told me it could take 1-8 months for a decision...yet two weeks after I sent in the paperwork, I got a letter with an appology for them 'taking so long'.

Weird eh?

Retroactive...wow..That could be cool. Thing is, I'm getting $0 per month now. When I left the Army, I left involuntarily, due to a medical condition. My last check from the army was for Twice my base pay multiplied by the number of years of active duty.

The VA considers that payment for my disability, and cannot 'pay me twice' - therefore, they are withholding my monthly checks until I would have effectively 'paid-back' the amount i got when I left active duty.

Upping my rating would allow me to 'pay back' that amount much quicker - and if they back-date it, I could get a decent check, I'd suppose.

At 20% they are taking 210 month...I was due to get that check starting in April of 2006.

I figure they'd take whatever balance I have left, subtract it from the back-dated amount figure, and cut me the difference.

Yeah...that could be a pretty good check indeed.

Frankly, I'd rather have back my ability to run/jog/etc. :(

(sigh) :)

Forum List

Back