Bush Outsourcing Government Jobs

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Investigators at the GAO say the Bush administration has gone way beyond hiring industry to trim bushes or process paychecks. They've hired more corporations than ever to help make decisions on behalf of the government.

The Bush administration has hired private industry to take over more of the government's work than any administration ever. It has made history:
'Big Government' Backlash
"There has been a very quiet revolution in how the government performs its functions," says Katherine Schinasi, one of the top officials at the Government Accountability Office.
"I think what worries me most is we are not sure how we got here," Schinasi says, "and we're not sure why we're here and, most troubling to me, whose interest is being represented.
The modern era of contracting began on Jan. 20, 1981, when President Ronald Reagan was sworn into office.
On that day, Reagan delivered some of his most famous lines. "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem," he said.
And, actually, President Clinton did even more to contract out work than Reagan. For instance, Clinton made it easier for companies to get government contracts without competing. And then came President Bush, who said "big government is not the answer" and shattered all the previous records for contracting out.
Obama To Tackle Explosion In Federal Contracts : NPR

Here is a great article on this from Thom Hartmann: ThomHartmann.com - "You Can't Govern if You Don't Believe in Government"

Actually, government contracting started long before Reagan. One such example was the space race during the JFK and LBJ terms. There was a lot of government contracting throughout the 40s and 50s. I can see why Obama wants to 'tackle (the) explosion in federal contracts'. He wants a big, centralized government, and using private companies to perform government work does not follow his model.

Actually, government contracting started long before Reagan. One such example was the space race during the JFK and LBJ terms. There was a lot of government contracting throughout the 40s and 50s. I can see why Obama wants to 'tackle (the) explosion in federal contracts'. He wants a big, centralized government, and using private companies to perform government work does not follow his model.

No reason it couldn't.

In fact, being able to hand out sweet highly profitable contracts to private industries gives those in charge of our government far more power than simply hiring government employees to do those tasks.

Who do you suppose is making more money serving in Iraq?

The guys in uniform, or the guys working for Blackwater?

No reason it couldn't.

In fact, being able to hand out sweet highly profitable contracts to private industries gives those in charge of our government far more power than simply hiring government employees to do those tasks.

Who do you suppose is making more money serving in Iraq?

The guys in uniform, or the guys working for Blackwater?
Before we had Blackwater we had The Draft, with lots of people making low pay doing jobs that they were basically forced to do, like peeling potatoes and driving fuel trucks. They'd do their stint for two years then get government benefits for the rest of their lives. Is that what you prefer?

Before we had Blackwater we had The Draft, with lots of people making low pay doing jobs that they were basically forced to do, like peeling potatoes and driving fuel trucks. They'd do their stint for two years then get government benefits for the rest of their lives. Is that what you prefer?

What does what I prefer have to do with the issue at hand, Glock?

The question was which method of getting a job done give the POTUS greater (and more importantly, wealthier) political allies?

The answer is obvious.

By being able to grant very lucritive contracts to private corporations, the POTUS is able to buy a very potent political ally.

And is this a good thing for our nation?

I rather doubt it.

Often what we see is that it ends up costing our nation far more to contract with a private company to get a job done, than it would to have government employees do it.

Granting huge contracts to powerful corporations is the new patronage system.

That's your side of the argument for sure. Did you read the full story though? And there is more to this story that will air on NPR in the following days.

So Bush, using the arguments you make, outsourced EVERYTHING to his buddies. And there is no official way to know, at least right now, if those Corporations did a good job or bad. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they did a bad job and wasted even more of our money, especially knowing what story is coming tomorrow. It's about the outsourced company the IRS used to collect taxes. They cost the government more than they brought in in taxes. So one of Bush's buddies got the no bid contract to collect taxes, raped our treasury of taxes, and did a lousy job.

And Bush purposely spread our boys thin in Iraq/Afganistan so he could outsource to Blackwater.

Also, notice in the story it says that Corporations did much more than cut grass. They made decisions for the government. Not good. And most of the Bushies appointed to run things like the Department of Homeland Security had very little oversite on these companies. In other words, they didn't know what the hell was going on.

Actually, you should listen to the story on NPR, not just read what is said on their website, because a lot is left out on the web.

Anyways, I was telling people that Bush/the GOP was bankrupting the treasury for 8 years and this was one of the ways he was doing it.

Now you are seeing I was right. And just wait for all the facts to come out next year. You won't wonder why he wasn't impeached. You'll wonder why we didn't try him for treason. And you know what we do with traitors.

The question was which method of getting a job done give the POTUS greater (and more importantly, wealthier) political allies?

The answer is obvious.

By being able to grant very lucritive contracts to private corporations, the POTUS is able to buy a very potent political ally.

I rather doubt it.

Often what we see is that it ends up costing our nation far more to contract with a private company to get a job done, than it would to have government employees do it.

It's very simple. If they can show how outsourcing it will save money, do it. Cut grass? Sure, outsource it.

But outsourcing our military so we are now in a war for profit? NO WAY!

Why would Blackwater ever want this war to end.

And when these contractors are costing the US taxpayers more?

And when we find out they are making decisions for our government? Didn't our founding fathers warn about corporations getting too powerful? Now they run our government and/or make decisions for our government? No wonder they get away with polluting.

This is why you don't let oil men run our energy policies

This is why you don't have war mongers/defense contractors running the war.

This is why you don't let Corporations control our EPA.

ETC.

Anyways, now we see the GOP's argument for smaller government was nothing but a ploy to empty the treasury.

The answer is obvious.

I rather doubt it.

Large contracts are open to all qualified bidders. As some one who used to work for a contractor preparing bids and negotiating contracts to provide services to government, I can attest that the process is arduous and open, at least at the county level. I can also attest that as a private corporation, we could, and did, perform these services at greatly reduced cost to the taxpayer, and still make a nice profit.

"We Blame Boooosh"

:lol:

You should be happy I'm blaming only Bush. When I say Bush, I mean the leader of your party.

And you all defended Bush when he was doing this, or you asked me to provide links, then denied the stories.

The GOP was in complete collusion for the last 8 years. Sure The Maverick would vote against something every once in awhile, but Bush/Tom Delay got everything they wanted.

Anyways, it is going to be a great 2009, because the truth is going to keep coming out. More next year after Bush has left office. But you will continue to stay on defense all through 2009 and the 2010 midterms are going to add up to even more losses for your party in both houses. Watch.

And the savior is going to fix what you broke. Being an advocate of Bush, you bare some responsibility too for the fucking mess this country is in.

Large contracts are open to all qualified bidders. As some one who used to work for a contractor preparing bids and negotiating contracts to provide services to government, I can attest that the process is arduous and open, at least at the county level. I can also attest that as a private corporation, we could, and did, perform these services at greatly reduced cost to the taxpayer, and still make a nice profit.

Well we are finding out that the Federal Contracts Bush handed out over the last 8 years were of great cost to the American Taxpayers and they were no bid contracts.

That's what the story is all about.

PS. Rudy Guiliani did the same thing after the 92 Trade Center Bombing. He gave Motorola a no bid contract and their equipment didn't even work on 9-11. Pathetic. And that cock sucker ran for President based on 9-11.

Biden was right. Rudy only says 3 things, a Noun, Verb and 9-11.

You should be happy I'm blaming only Bush. When I say Bush, I mean the leader of your party.

And you all defended Bush when he was doing this, or you asked me to provide links, then denied the stories.

The GOP was in complete collusion for the last 8 years. Sure The Maverick would vote against something every once in awhile, but Bush/Tom Delay got everything they wanted.

Anyways, it is going to be a great 2009, because the truth is going to keep coming out. More next year after Bush has left office. But you will continue to stay on defense all through 2009 and the 2010 midterms are going to add up to even more losses for your party in both houses. Watch.

And the savior is going to fix what you broke. Being an advocate of Bush, you bare some responsibility too for the fucking mess this country is in.

got hemorrhoids??? Blame Boooosh!

Large contracts are open to all qualified bidders.
Except when, as we saw often in the last 8 years, they're not.

As some one who used to work for a contractor preparing bids and negotiating contracts to provide services to government, I can attest that the process is arduous and open, at least at the county level.

Apparently you're not working for the right corporations, then.

I can also attest that as a private corporation, we could, and did, perform these services at greatly reduced cost to the taxpayer, and still make a nice profit.

I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath.

I don't doubt there ARE cases where hiring private companies is cheaper than having government employees doing it.

STill, when we start oursourcing our prisons, and our military actions, I have to tell you I think we're headed down a path I think is fraught with potential abuses.

got hemorrhoids??? Blame Boooosh!

I just love it that the liberals have finally figured you conservatives out.

Notice their arguments will come from a position of ALL OR NONE.

They'll never admit that Bush/The GOP outsourced too much. They'll just argue in favor of outsourcing in general. We understand that we can save money if a non government employee cuts the grass, but should we outsource everything? To the point that it isn't government officials making decisions? Istead we let corporations decide?

So Bush went too far. And you Conservatives/Republicans defended him every step of the way.

Same with regulations. They'll never admit that regulations are a necessity and that the argument is really about too many vs not enough. They never want to talk about details because then we would all agree they went too far deregulating.

This is why thank GOD McCain didn't win. He'd be arguing in favor of continuing these no bid contracts that are wasting tax payers money and dangerous to our national security.

I just love it that the liberals have finally figured you conservatives out.

Notice their arguments will come from a position of ALL OR NONE.

They'll never admit that Bush/The GOP outsourced too much. They'll just argue in favor of outsourcing in general. We understand that we can save money if a non government employee cuts the grass, but should we outsource everything? To the point that it isn't government officials making decisions? Istead we let corporations decide?

So Bush went too far. And you Conservatives/Republicans defended him every step of the way.

Same with regulations. They'll never admit that regulations are a necessity and that the argument is really about too many vs not enough. They never want to talk about details because then we would all agree they went too far deregulating.

This is why thank GOD McCain didn't win. He'd be arguing in favor of continuing these no bid contracts that are wasting tax payers money and dangerous to our national security.

yep,, you got it alllll figured out all righty..

Well we are finding out that the Federal Contracts Bush handed out over the last 8 years were of great cost to the American Taxpayers and they were no bid contracts.
Again, all large contracts are publicly bid when time allows. The necessity of keeping secrets in preparation of war, however, may necessitate short term no-bids. When that happens the contractors accounting is open for detailed inspection by the contracting agency. These costs should be compared with the cost of the government performing the service themselves, which has to include the cost of a Draft, training the draftees, payment for as little as two years' service, followed by lifetime benefits.

Large contracts are open to all qualified bidders.
Except when, as we saw often in the last 8 years, they're not.

Apparently you're not working for the right corporations, then.

I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath.

I don't doubt there ARE cases where hiring private companies is cheaper than having government employees doing it.

STill, when we start oursourcing our prisons, and our military actions, I have to tell you I think we're headed down a path I think is fraught with potential abuses.

:clap2:

The only reply to your post should be, "you are exactly correct".

Again, all large contracts are publicly bid when time allows. The necessity of keeping secrets in preparation of war, however, may necessitate short term no-bids. When that happens the contractors accounting is open for detailed inspection by the contracting agency. These costs should be compared with the cost of the government performing the service themselves, which has to include the cost of a Draft, training the draftees, payment for as little as two years' service, followed by lifetime benefits.

They outsourced IRS collections. No Bid Contract. They didn't have time? And the company cost more than they brought in? Dude, you are in denial over what the GOP have done over the past 8 years.

Dude, they raped the treasury. And you still don't get it?

I don't blame you though. You are still in shock.

Eventually, so much information will come out that people will laugh at you if you defend them.

But like all good Conservatives, you will just spin it and move on to another topic, like God Gays and Guns.

But as far as the Economy or budget goes, pahleez!!!

Forum List

Back