Bush on economy moves: I didn't want to be Herbert Hoover

bk1983

Off too Kuwait..
Oct 17, 2008
WASHINGTON — President George W. Bush suddenly saw that he could very well be the 21st century's Herbert Hoover.

So after analyzing the imperiled economy earlier this year, he said, he "decided I didn't want to be the president during a depression greater than the Great Depression . . . so we moved and moved hard."

Bush offered Thursday what he dubbed "reflections by a guy who's headed out of town" to a friendly American Enterprise Institute audience at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington. He spoke without notes and took questions for more than an hour.

The genial side of Bush, which has been more evident in these last days of his presidency, was on display. He sat back in his chair, struck a conversational tone and casually talked about his White House years.

However, the more familiar principled — or stubborn — Bush also was evident. He conceded no serious mistakes and offered passionate, familiar defenses of his most controversial policies. He insisted, for instance, that national security matters were open to free, full debate, despite reports that he and his top advisers were dismissive of those who were skeptical about his Iraq policies.

On issue after issue, Bush blamed his stumbles on Washington's convoluted ways. Record spending during his administration often resulted because "without the line item veto, the president's in an awkward position when it comes to budgeting."

No Child Left Behind, his signature education legislation, has been criticized for lack of funding, but Bush had no complaints, insisting, "The basic principle inherent in No Child Left Behind, the philosophy of it, remained very much intact in the bill, and it's working."

About his only major regrets included an inability to set a gentler tone in Washington and to win easier confirmation of judicial nominees.

"I have been disappointed at times about the politics of personal destruction," said the president who vowed eight years ago to be a uniter. "I came with the idea of changing the tone in Washington and frankly didn't do a very good job of it."

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 12/18/2008 | Bush on economy moves: I didn't want to be Herbert Hoover

Forum List

Back