Bush now worries his right-wing pals

B

bamthin

By Bruce S. Ticker

Now even his own compatriots are telling George W. Bush that he has screwed up.

Archconservatives warn that the deficit could ruin us, Republicans in state legislatures are rebelling against his education policy and the CIA is warning of a possible civil war in Iraq where our so-called allies have been making threats of future trouble.

On these three crucial issues, many of us have been warning of these prospects during the last three years: When you keep cutting taxes so sharply for the rich and hiking expenses for a war and your pet faith-based ideas, we're going to have an impossible deficit. Standardized school tests are only one indication of student progress and too much of it detracts from quality-teaching time. And a civil war in Iraq should be no surprise considering the conflicting forces at work there.

Only now it is Bush's fellow Republicans and administration people who are telling him this. Whether intended or not, they are doing him a favor. If he does something about it now instead of next October, maybe he will not be vulnerable on these issues on Nov. 2 (the date of the general election).

On Thursday, The New York Times front-paged a story headlined, "Conservative Republicans Push For Slowdown in U.S. Spending." In the most recent development, 40 GOP House members met to discuss pressing Bush and Congress to deal with spending increases and a deficit expected to reach a half-trillion dollars this fiscal year. Beforehand, archconservative groups like the Heritage Foundation and the Club for Growth sounded such warnings.

Brian M. Riedl, a budget analyst for the Heritage Foundation, told the Times: "The president used the State of the Union to defend past spending increases, and he made eight specific calls for new spending increases. But he made zero calls for spending cuts. He merely said focus on priorities, cut wasteful spending and be wise with people's money. That's not specific enough."

On C-Span's call-in television show, Riedl said the deficit could lead to massive tax increases and called for cuts in pork projects and corporate farm welfare (which he added only harms small farms).

Translated: Bush has screwed up on the deficit

On Friday, the Republican-controlled Virginia House of Delegates passed a resolution 98-1 (the lone dissenter was a Democrat) urging Congress to exempt Virginia and states like it from the requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act, The Washington Post reported.

The law "represents the most sweeping intrusions into state and local control of education in the history of the United States," the resolution says, and will cost "literally millions of dollars that Virginia does not have."

These are not only Republicans talking, but southern Republicans. The resolution follows months of griping from local and state educators that the federal law conflicts with Virginia's Standards of Learning testing program.

The resolution is also considered the strongest action yet by a legislative body in protest of the law, which is not backed by enough money to administer it. Other GOP-controlled state legislatures which have challenged the law in some form include Ohio, North Dakota and Utah.

Translated, again: Bush screwed up on education.

Last Thursday, The Philadelphia Inquirer ran a front-page story reporting that CIA officials are warning of a possible civil war in Iraq. What a shock. They finally figured that out.

While guerillas presumably loyal to Saddam Hussein continue to kill American troops and Iraqis, a Shiite Muslim leader in the south known as Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has insisted on direct elections instead of caucuses to choose delegates. He won't talk directly to the Americans.

There are fears that al-Sistani's position can lead to a revolt against American troops. Observers also suspect that al-Sistani is using the practice of democracy to seize control of Iraq and then eliminate democracy. After all, Shiites account for 60 percent of the population, so they would be in the majority in any election.

In northern Iraq, Kurds want Iraqi Arabs - numbered at 270,000 - kicked out of Kirkuk and vicinity and an explicit commitment for expanded autonomy in order to go along with a central government in Baghdad, according to The Washington Post. That notion is rejected by Shiites religious leaders, Sunni Muslim leaders and Turkmens in the Kirkuk area.

In other words, Bush could well be screwing up.

How many more screw-ups can we afford?

Originally posted by janeeng
:(

Really...Is that the best you can do? Your response bespeaks your lack of ability to meaningfully address the issues. It also speaks volumes about your level of maturity...About that of a potty-mouthed adolescent.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Really...Is that the best you can do? Your response bespeaks your lack of ability to meaningfully address the issues. It also speaks volumes about your level of maturity...About that of a potty-mouthed adolescent.

And what have you offered to this thread? Nothing more and nothing less. YOU aren't the moderator and SHE is. I suggest you leave the moderating duties up to the moderators.

Really Bully, it pretty much looks like you cut and paste! You seem to be pretty good at putting people down, and coming up with some pretty lame ass returns!!!! quite frankly, coming from a MORON like you, your comments are nothing to me!

Originally posted by janeeng
Really Bully, it pretty much looks like you cut and paste! You seem to be pretty good at putting people down, and coming up with some pretty lame ass returns!!!! quite frankly, coming from a MORON like you, your comments are nothing to me!

You seem to be the only one here doing the cut and paste. Rather childish at that.

The issue regards the conservative wing of the Republican party feeding on its own. Between that and watching the Demo's melt down during the primaries, I don't know which I take greater pleasure in.

Really, you seem to be repeating yourself in every thread. Complaining about racial bullshit, complaining about Bush, please!!! I haven't read one post that you put on here that really is of interest at all. My heart is bleeding already by your insults!!!! but again, coming from you, who means NOTHING to me, I don't really care.

Hey bitch about Bush all you want !

He is the president !

He got his war !

His political friends got their favors !

My company and I got a both huge tax break that I can now invest to make quite a bit more !

Call him anything you desire, but who in reality is the fool !

Originally posted by eric
Hey bitch about Bush all you want !

He is the president !

He got his war !

His political friends got their favors !

My company and I got a both huge tax break that I can now invest to make quite a bit more !

Call him anything you desire, but who in reality is the fool !

You, apparently. You sound more like a willing dupe than a reasoning, thoughtful individual.

willing dupe than a reasoning, thoughtful individual.

You want to get personal fine. Stick to changing bedpans, that seems to be all you know. You are way out of your league with politics and economics.

Tell me what practical experience you have in either area to call me a dupe ?

eric, why bother with this retard??? only going to insult, easier to do that than give you a logical answer!!!!!!

You know Bully, you get treated this way because you don't post intelligent views, rather you post stupid pictures or one-liners designed to anger people. Just look at you avatar alone, it speaks worlds about your mindset !

OK BP,

Here goes my attempt to start a rational conversation:

As a conservative, I am not entirely pleased with Bush's performance. I believe that Bush should have stuck to his guns when demanding to hold non-DoD discretionary spending to the rate of inflation + population increase. Increased gov't spending is causing our deficits to soar, and Bush is not doing much about it. And yes, I'm noticing, and yes, I'm upset about it. I'm also upset about his immigration policy, and I was not happy about the steel tariffs he laid down.
However, Bush has shown extraordinary leadership in his time in office - more leadership than any President since Reagan, perhaps since FDR. He does push for conservative economic principles most of the time. He has been the kind of wartime president this country needs. I am proud to have voted for him in 2000, and I will certainly vote for him in 2004.

Originally posted by eric
You want to get personal fine. Stick to changing bedpans, that seems to be all you know. You are way out of your league with politics and economics.

Tell me what practical experience you have in either area to call me a dupe ?

Just the usual college courses in econ and poli-sci. As to changeing bed pans, well, at least I have a clear conscience, and provide a little comfort to another human being.

As to your last question, observation...It's something we nurses are very,very good at.

at least I have a clear conscience

Oh, I sleep very well at night !

Just because I do not think our President is Hitler reborn does not make me a bad person, just sane !

Forum List

Back