Bush: no punishment for CIA interrogation

that asshole, shit, i had faith in him....

troubled.

Obama: No charges for harsh CIA interrogation

Obama doesn't have any choice in the matter. US law and treaty obligations, which carry the ful force of US law, require an investigation into the authorization for and use of torture against detainees in US custody. If no one is above the law, as Obama has repeatedly said, the DOJ must follow the evidence to wherever, and to whomever, it may lead.

BO did the right thing here, no need to attack him for it.

You know--this presents a problem for the former Regime.

The evidence implicates the former Bush administration.

I guess the libs are saying that they may not get the impeachement, but they could still get the trial.

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama absolved CIA officers from prosecution for harsh, painful interrogation of terror suspects Thursday, even as his administration released Bush-era memos graphically detailing — and authorizing — such grim tactics as slamming detainees against walls, waterboarding them and keeping them naked and cold for long periods.

from the link.....

intentionally misleading headline...i know many obama supporters will be ticked at this. i think obama did the right thing, but his supporters see it totally different. i erroneously thought that some of obama's supporters would simply reply how wrong this is only to later find out it was their dear leader....

i guess i pwned myself...

The Prophet did the right thing by stopping the budding effort to prosecute CIA personnel who were operating under authorization.

Whether he needed to publish the documents, the timing looks to me like a gift to the people on the left he annoyed on this. The papers would have come out anyway and I doubt much will come of all of that. But if The Prophet just stands by and lets the ACLU pursue this freely, he could just as easily wind up in the same spot himself; Newton's 3rd still works. He may not be very worldly but he must surely realize that much.

What this does is absolve CIA people from responsibility. Obama obviously needs a cooperative intelligence community which will work with him instead of against him as many did during the Clinton administration.

This move lets the chips fall where they may. A lot of people were upset when Ford pardoned Nixon, but Nixon's deeds ultimately became his legacy, so justice was done in any event.

The "no punishment" thing I have always agreed with, they did it all within the law and there is no justifiable reason to attack them after the fact. However we do need to look at the laws a little closer and consider changes, whether for better or worse.

Obama is absolving CIA agents, not the Bush administration. The agents worked with the approval of the administration. We are yet to see if there will be further investigations into DOJ opinions that basically overroad hundreds of years of interrogation standards. The DOJ, working hand in hand with the Bush White House, concocted their own definition of justice.

Will Obama allow further investigations into Bush and DICK'S twisted White House? His absolution of the CIA agents does not give us an indication either way.

I think that Obama may be absolving those who followed orders to torture, but I am not sure if he has actually closed the door on possibly prosecuting those who ORDERED the use of torture.

time will tell.

troubled.

Obama doesn't have any choice in the matter. US law and treaty obligations, which carry the ful force of US law, require an investigation into the authorization for and use of torture against detainees in US custody. If no one is above the law, as Obama has repeatedly said, the DOJ must follow the evidence to wherever, and to whomever, it may lead.

Hey Bully, if there was any chance of the DOJ going 'after' anyone, they would not have released those documents the way they did.

I think that Obama may be absolving those who followed orders to torture, but I am not sure if he has actually closed the door on possibly prosecuting those who ORDERED the use of torture.

time will tell.

Exactly! Congress is coming back into session and many seem to want to pursue this matter, whether through investigations or prosecutions.

I am not a Bush supporter, never have been, but I don't see what is wrong with placing a suspected terrorist in a closed room with insects he is afraid of. That was one of the "torture" methods that I have no issue with. They cut off our heads and we put them in insect infested rooms. Seems fair to me.

The "no punishment" thing I have always agreed with, they did it all within the law and there is no justifiable reason to attack them after the fact. However we do need to look at the laws a little closer and consider changes, whether for better or worse.

Did it within the law?

WHOSE LAW?

troubled.

Hey Bully, if there was any chance of the DOJ going 'after' anyone, they would not have released those documents the way they did.

Right on the nose. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back