Bush Needs To Get The Message Out

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/opinion/baroneblog/columns/barone_050824.htm

I agree with Barone that GW is not getting the message out, whether because of his speech writers or perhaps because he thinks 9/11 made the cause self-evident. It's past time to utilize some of the support already out there and highlight the good the troops are doing.

Time for fireside chats?

David Frum has a tough piece out today in National Review Online arguing that George W. Bush has been ineffective in persuading Americans to stay the course in Iraq. This is a direct slap not only at the president, but also at his speechwriters, and from a former colleague who served in the speechwriting office in 2001 and 2002. Frum argues that Bush makes the same case over and over again, and does not flesh it out with arresting details and enlightening narrative.

"The president could have made news yesterday by itemizing the reasons to regard Iraq more positively than most journalists do. He could have ticked off some of the achievements daily posted on the centcom.mil site. (Here's the latest.) He could have teased details even out of the mainstream media. (Mickey Kaus the other day noted that the reliably dour Robin Wright of the Washington Post casually mentioned in the course of her latest down-beater that Iraq has gone on a car-buying boom that has put a million new cars on the road since liberation. Kaus: 'A "car-buying boom"–another shocking failure! Don't they know about global warming?')."

He also suggested that Bush should make his case not just before cheering crowds, like the Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in Salt Lake City on Monday, but in other, more informal settings.

The obvious model, though Frum doesn't mention it, is the fireside chats delivered by Franklin Roosevelt. These were radio broadcasts, made at a time when radio was a new but already well-nigh-universal medium. The texts are conveniently collected in a FDR's Fireside Chats, edited by Russell D. Buhite and David W. Levy and published by the University of Oklahoma Press in 1992. Roosevelt delivered 14 of these talks, almost entirely on domestic issues, from March 1933 to June 1938, and another 18, almost entirely on foreign policy and war, from September 1939 to January 1945. In these talks Roosevelt often explained painstakingly the current posture of the war; before the chat of February 1942, the White House press office suggested that listeners might want to have an atlas or a globe at hand to follow the President's discussion of the war in the Atlantic and Pacific...

Wasn't it Glenn Reynolds who said bush always get his act together after labor day?

I sure hope so, we need him to save this ship before folks like Hagel and Kennedy sink it.

They wouldn't be fireside chats, people. They'd be menorah-side chats!

Barone is a Jew. Frum is a Jew. Levy is a Jew. FDR was their tool, and Bush is their tool. The concern isn't for America. It's for the Jews. White gentiles and Christians are dying in an insane war for Israel.

http://nowarforisrael.com/

Patriots, resist. Americans, unite. Conservatives, come back to conservatism.

Adam's Apple said:
Yup, Bush could learn a few things from FDR on this score. And don't we wish he would?

Bush does a weekly radio address, people just don't listen to it, it is usually aired on AM channels and isn't available across the nation due to lack of interest.

Bush needs to get out in the media's face and tell people what he is doing. Americans love to feel informed, in charge, and as if the President were confiding in them his plan. Clinton knew this instinctively and spoke often to the media to get his notion of the world out. This is how so many believe that Clinton passed all those Contract With America laws that were forced on him by a Conservative majority.

He would also get more support if he would be willing to change his mind on the border issue, but he won't. This was the largest chink in his armor and still is. This was where the anti-war people got their first shot that actually stuck.

William Joyce said:
They wouldn't be fireside chats, people. They'd be menorah-side chats!

Barone is a Jew. Frum is a Jew. Levy is a Jew. FDR was their tool, and Bush is their tool. The concern isn't for America. It's for the Jews. White gentiles and Christians are dying in an insane war for Israel.

http://nowarforisrael.com/

Patriots, resist. Americans, unite. Conservatives, come back to conservatism.

William...Hitler was 1/2 half Jewish on his mothers side...to make such a general mistatement is disingenious to say the least! ;)

archangel said:
William...Hitler was 1/2 half Jewish on his mothers side...to make such a general mistatement is disingenious to say the least! ;)

It was his Maternal Grandmother that was Jewish, he was 1/4 Jew in a place that allowed none.

no1tovote4 said:
It was his Maternal Grandmother that was Jewish, he was 1/4 Jew in a place that allowed none.

I stand corrected his mother was 1/2 Jewish...so you are mathmetically correct! :huh:

I don't think Barone was suggesting that Bush should have fireside chats like FDR did, but rather that Bush should begin communicating more directly to the people to combat the opposition's message. FDR saw the need to do this and came up with the fireside chats as his vehicle. How I wish Bush would begin to understand that he cannot let the message the liberal press is putting out go unanswered. If people keep saying things, day in and day out, and there is no response, pretty soon you're going to start believing it as fact. There are good things happening as a result of the WOT. We should be hearing about these things to counteract the relentless negativity coming from the MSM. But we don't hear it from Bush. We have to go 'net surfing to find this information.

Abbey Normal said:
Great signature line, Adam. :)

Thank you. I thought it was very applicable to the ideology fight that goes on between the libs and the conservatives.

If you don't know much about Revel, look him up on the internet. For a Frenchman, he's a pretty neat character. Too bad he's not your typical Frenchman.

Well Bush supporter are right on message so why in the hell doesn't the message get out-------THE FRICKEN MEDIA WONT" COVER IT. After being in Crawford and hearing reports that there we as few as 200 Bush supporters there, I GUARANTEE you they are not only just wrong----they are liars.

Gonna have to blow again :blowup:

dilloduck said:
Well Bush supporter are right on message so why in the hell doesn't the message get out-------THE FRICKEN MEDIA WONT" COVER IT. After being in Crawford and hearing reports that there we as few as 200 Bush supporters there, I GUARANTEE you they are not only just wrong----they are liars.

Gonna have to blow again :blowup:

On the supporters you are way correct, think it awesome that you went! My problem is with the administration, that doesn't say 'boo' to coverage and lies.

Kathianne said:
On the supporters you are way correct, think it awesome that you went! My problem is with the administration, that doesn't say 'boo' to coverage and lies.

I agree--they need to get off their asses too. The shit and heat that those supporters went through to get out the message was awesome--little and fat old ladies and men walking for over a mile to just get there in 100+ heat was nothing short of heroic. If those shits upstairs can lift a damn finger to spotlight these efforts then get someone in there who can...enuff of the silent shit.

dilloduck said:
I agree--they need to get off their asses too. The shit and heat that those supporters went through to get out the message was awesome--little and fat old ladies and men walking for over a mile to just get there in 100+ heat was nothing short of heroic. If those shits upstairs can lift a damn finger to spotlight these efforts then get someone in there who can...enuff of the silent shit.

you did a noble deed...however when we have a real conservative in office maybe....just maybe... you will get a pat on the back...as it stands now both parties are in cahoots...GW is a lame duck president...he is just coasting to the finish line...sad but true! :crutch:

Forum List

Back