Bush: 'I Answered Every Question They Asked'

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
WASHINGTON – President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney spent more than three hours behind closed doors Thursday with the Sept. 11 commission charged with finding ways to prevent a repeat of the worst terrorist attack in American history. "I answered every question they asked," Bush said.

Bush declined to disclose details of the Oval Office discussion, saying the commissioners would incorporate his and Cheney's comments in their final report, set for release about three months before the November election.

But the president, who described the meeting as "very cordial," said the commissioners were "very interested in the recommendations that they're going to lay out, and I'm interested in those as well."

"I'm glad I did it," Bush told reporters in the Rose Garden, just 35 minutes after the session ended. "I'm glad I took the time. ... I enjoyed it."

The 10 commissioners, who arrived for the unprecedented meeting bearing briefcases, books and papers, gathered around Bush and Cheney, who were seated on chairs near the fireplace in the president's office. The meeting was off-limits to all but White House counsel Alberto Gonzales and two members of his staff.

Asked if Gonzales advised him not to answer any question, Bush replied, "I was never advised by my counsel not to answer anything."

The president, who initially opposed creation of the panel investigating the attacks in 2001 that killed some 3,000 people in New York City, Virginia and Pennsylvania, vigorously defended his decision to appear jointly with the vice president. Critics have suggested the two met together to make certain there were no discrepancies in their statements.

"If we had something to hide, we wouldn't have met with them in the first place," Bush said.

"I came away feeling good about the session, because I wanted them to know, you know, how I set strategy, how we run the White House, how we deal with threats," he said. "The vice president answered a lot of their questions, answered all their questions."

In a statement issued by the panel after the meeting, commissioners thanked Bush and Cheney for their information, and said they found the president and vice president "forthcoming and candid."

Even Ben-Veniste Is Satisfied

Richard Ben-Veniste, a Democrat member of the commission, said that he was satisfied the panel had enough time to ask questions and that nothing was lost from having a joint meeting.

"It was a very cordial meeting," Ben-Veniste told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "Everyone got to ask his or her questions of the president and vice president. I'm not going to characterize the substance."

One commissioner, Jim Thompson, said the questions included everything "across the board" that had been in public hearings. "The president was asked the vast majority of the questions and he answered them," Thompson said. "There was no questions the president or vice president did not answer."

Laughter erupted in the Oval Office from time to time, Thompson told the AP.

'Tease'

"The president is a bit of a tease," he said. "There were no tense moments. I thought the president gave a five-star performance. I wish the American people could have seen it."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/4/29/144803.shtml

I have to admit, this was nothing real spectacular and discredits him from what I saw.

He allowed no transcripts
He allowed no being "under oath" if he interviewed.
He had his lawyers present.

On top of all of that he says:

"I'm glad I did it," Bush told reporters in the Rose Garden, just 35 minutes after the session ended. "I'm glad I took the time. ... I enjoyed it."

and

"If we had something to hide, we wouldn't have met with them in the first place," Bush said.

This seemed like a complete setup from minute one, wether it really was or not.

I expect his ratings to drop a bit.

I tell ya, I sure do have faith that the 9/11 Commission will get to the truth. After all, the government always tells the truth. The President is a smart man who tells the truth, too. We should all be glad that we have such a smart, truthful government. I feel safe and sound in the arms of the government. Everything is fine and great. The war is going great. The Iraqis love us. We always get the full story from the media, which is not biased at all. The government loves us and wants us to be safe and happy, the media tells the truth, and Dick Cheney is the Easter Bunny.

He allowed no transcripts

The commission had access to ask him all the questions they desired. Remember, the ultimate goal 'supposedly' of this commission is to find out what went wrong and what's best to make changes to help protect our country in the future.

He allowed no being "under oath" if he interviewed.

Not sure I see that as being a problem. Clinton was under oath as well and that didn't stop him from lying to the commission. This isn't a court, it's a commission looking to better our country.

He had his lawyers present.

And I have no problem with that. His testimony in front of a commission is practically unprecedented. After seeing how they confronted Condi I would have demanded a lawyer present myself. Playing games with the national security advisor is bad enough, the lawyers should make sure they don't try the same crap with the CIC.

I expect his ratings to drop a bit.

Iraq has had the worst month since the war began. A lot has transpired with the commission in the past month. Kerry has been on a nonstop attack of the president. With all of that, the presidents approval rating jumped 5 points in the past month. I don't see this doing anything detrimental to his ratings.

Originally posted by jimnyc
The commission had access to ask him all the questions they desired. Remember, the ultimate goal 'supposedly' of this commission is to find out what went wrong and what's best to make changes to help protect our country in the future.

I know, but to make everything equal, why wasn't he under oath? Being the only one who wasn't doesn't look real good.

Not sure I see that as being a problem. Clinton was under oath as well and that didn't stop him from lying to the commission. This isn't a court, it's a commission looking to better our country.

I agree with the point on Clinton, but I thought everyone involved with this comission's investigation was under oath. -Maybe I got that part of it wrong. -In which case every other one of my points here are rather insignificant.

And I have no problem with that. His testimony in front of a commission is practically unprecedented. After seeing how they confronted Condi I would have demanded a lawyer present myself. Playing games with the national security advisor is bad enough, the lawyers should make sure they don't try the same crap with the CIC.

By its self, I agree. Added to my other issues it was looking pretty bad, though.

Iraq has had the worst month since the war began. A lot has transpired with the commission in the past month. Kerry has been on a nonstop attack of the president. With all of that, the presidents approval rating jumped 5 points in the past month. I don't see this doing anything detrimental to his ratings.

Right. With all of my points hanging on the "oath" thing, though, it looked pretty bad. If in fact the "oath thing" is not an issue of importance, the ratings ought to remain untouched. His image also would remain intact.

Has everyone else been allowed to report without being under oath?

Originally posted by William Joyce
I tell ya, I sure do have faith that the 9/11 Commission will get to the truth. After all, the government always tells the truth. The President is a smart man who tells the truth, too. We should all be glad that we have such a smart, truthful government. I feel safe and sound in the arms of the government. Everything is fine and great. The war is going great. The Iraqis love us. We always get the full story from the media, which is not biased at all. The government loves us and wants us to be safe and happy, the media tells the truth, and Dick Cheney is the Easter Bunny.

The media also said that your an asshole, sounds credible to me.

Originally posted by NewGuy
I know, but to make everything equal, why wasn't he under oath? Being the only one who wasn't doesn't look real good.

Has everyone else been allowed to report without being under oath?

I don't believe Bill Clinton or Al Gore were under oath either.

FWIW - Clintons testimony was not recorded either.

Now there is something I was not aware of. This makes me quite annoyed at BOTH processes.

I don't believe Bill Clinton or Al Gore were under oath either.

Ok, but what about everyone in THIS investigation?

It is obvious, if Clinton and Gore were not under oath, that it is a process issue. If Bush was the only one not under oath here, it is a double standard issue.

Both don't make me real happy.

Now there is something I was not aware of. This makes me quite annoyed at BOTH processes.

Clinton, Gore, Cheney and Bush all met in private with the commission and none of their testimony was recorded.

I will say this though, at least the entire commission hung around to speak with Clinton and Gore. 2 commissioners walking out on the meeting is perhaps the most disrespectful thing I've heard in some time, both to the president and to the nation that wants answers.

Ok, but what about everyone in THIS investigation?

What exactly do you mean? I was in fact referring to their recent testimony in front of the 9/11 commission. I believe they have given different standards to the presidents and vice presidents. Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

Clinton, Gore, Cheney and Bush all met in private with the commission and none of their testimony was recorded.

This REALLY sounds like a double standard if others WERE required to be under oath. If that standard exists, this whole comission thing has lost all credibility with me. -(not that it really had any in the first place. :D )

I will say this though, at least the entire commission hung around to speak with Clinton and Gore. 2 commissioners walking out on the meeting is perhaps the most disrespectful thing I've heard in some time, both to the president and to the nation that wants answers.

I agree. Most likely it was because they weren't going to get anywhere, which is rather humorous in its self.

What exactly do you mean? I was in fact referring to their recent testimony in front of the 9/11 commission. I believe they have given different standards to the presidents and vice presidents. Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

For some reason I thought you were originally talking about Clinton from HIS trial......I just realized you were talkling about Clinton/Gore in THIS investigation. Sorry. :p:

I agree. Most likely it was because they weren't going to get anywhere, which is rather humorous in its self.

They claim they had prior commitments. What can possibly be more important than this? And was this meeting not pre-arranged? Why would they even schedule something else at the same time. Just disrespect is all it is.

I lost complete faith in this commission long ago but I still have a bit of hope that we will get 'some' answers. I think this whole commission would have been operated differently if it weren't an election year.

Originally posted by William Joyce

haha. That was the best thing i've read all night. Good sarcasm is hard come by sometimes... you hit the nail on the head. But for dick cheney to be the easter bunny he'd have to come out of the bat cave.

Originally posted by megsand247
haha. That was the best thing i've read all night. Good sarcasm is hard come by sometimes... you hit the nail on the head. But for dick cheney to be the easter bunny he'd have to come out of the bat cave.

It was nothing but leftist BULLSHIT, welcome man. I believe the liberal ideology is a sham and only serves as a cover for anti-American, anti-Christian activity, but hey you think how you want.

Just my opinion after all.

Originally posted by megsand247

Como what? Seriously that makes little sense whatsoever, Where is that Billy Madison quote when you need it.

As for the Presidents ratings. I dont think they went down today. I think the ratings for the entire commission probably went down after two of the members decided that their other meetings were more important then finding the truth. And it shows the people they dont really care about the truth at all and really just left because they couldnt publicly humiliate Bush.

Forum List

Back