Bush gives tribute to Clinton...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...p/us_vote_clinton_bush_040614162324&printer=1

Bush pays rare tribute to Clinton

2 hours, 9 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AFP to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (AFP) - In a rare election-year political truce, US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) warmly paid tribute to Bill Clinton (news - web sites) and even plugged his forthcoming memoirs at his formal White House portrait unveiling.

"Bill Clinton showed incredible energy and great personal appeal. As chief executive, he showed a deep and far-ranging knowledge of public policy, a great compassion for people in need, and the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president," Bush said in a speech at the ceremony.

Bush and First Lady Laura Bush sat with Clinton, first-lady-turned Senator Hillary Clinton (news - web sites) and their daughter Chelsea as the former first couple's individual portraits were unveiled before being hung in the White House.

Bush said that Clinton's rise from humble beginnings in the rural state of Arkansas "took more than charm and intellect. It took hard work and drive and determination and optimism."

"I can tell you more of the story, but it's coming out in fine bookstores all over America," Bush quipped, a reference to Clinton's memoirs, "My Life," which comes out June 22.

"The president, by his generous words to Hillary and me today, has proved once again that in the end, we are held together by this grand system of ours that permits us to debate and struggle and fight for what we believe is right," said Clinton.

The upbeat, friendly exchange came after a week of mourning for former president Ronald Reagan (news - web sites), and as Clinton seemed ready to retake the spotlight he reluctantly gave up three years ago with his book tour.

"My Life" enjoys a record 1.5 million copy first printing. Publishers Alfred A. Knopf paid Clinton an advance of more than 10 million dollars for the 957-page autobiography.

In the coming weeks, the former president has planned a barrage of interviews with top US celebrity journalists to tout the book.

Clinton, who left office in January 2001 after serving two terms, also is planning an extravaganza in his hometown of Little Rock, Arkansas in November to mark the opening of the William J. Clinton Presidential Center.

Sounds like a great divider to me. :rolleyes: It takes an incredible sense of humor and a man very sure of himself to give a tribute speech to one of his biggest critics.

It's always nice to see the occasional reach across the asile, at least with respect for the service of another President, and the respect for the office.

Originally posted by DearGeorgeLette
It's always nice to see the occasional reach across the asile, at least with respect for the service of another President, and the respect for the office.

agreed

Originally posted by insein
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...p/us_vote_clinton_bush_040614162324&printer=1

Sounds like a great divider to me. :rolleyes: It takes an incredible sense of humor and a man very sure of himself to give a tribute speech to one of his biggest critics.

GW actually does pretty well, if I do say so myself. At the same time, Clinton has actually, oh I'm choking here, been one of the voices of sanity from the left. Partly because he doesn't want the adminstration laying all the blame at his feet, partially because he knows all of his statements were recorded, and I think partially because he thinks GW did the right thing, not only Afghanistan, but Iraq.

On the other hand, I didn't notice Al Gore :flameth: :fu2: :gives: sitting there.

It's just nice to see civility come to the fore once in a while. Especially as I fear we're in for a long and nasty campaign season.

(actually, for the most part, everyone was pretty civil last week too regarding Mr. Reagan)

"Bill Clinton showed incredible energy and great personal appeal. As chief executive, he showed a deep and far-ranging knowledge of public policy, a great compassion for people in need, and the forward-looking spirit that Americans like in a president," Bush said in a speech at the ceremony.

Looks like the liberals have found a time Bush has lied:p

Originally posted by Avatar4321
Looks like the liberals have found a time Bush has lied:p

LOL Even I admit the guy had 'energy' he ducked flying objects from Hillary didn't he?

Originally posted by Kathianne
LOL Even I admit the guy had 'energy' he ducked flying objects from Hillary didn't he?

Yeah well i was reffering to the compassion part;)

Seriously though after hearing the clips im impressed with Bush. I mean im sure him and Clinton dont get along but He just gave the Clintons praises even Democrats dont give him. Despite the fact that i dislike the Clinton agenda. he was president. And the office is a sacred trust. Kudos to Bush in respecting it regardless who is in it.

More proof of his Christian faith rising above. He does not stoop to the level of his opponents. Never do you hear Bush attack any member of the opposite political party.

More proof of his Christian faith rising above. He does not stoop to the level of his opponents. Never do you hear Bush attack any member of the opposite political party.

Hey he's my guy! At the same time, this will juxtapose very nicely with Al Gore's rants in the coming months in the minds of the voters. ;)

It makes perfect sense to me that these two would get along, they both act more boys than men.
Bush is like the eternal frat guy that's barely literate and Clinton is like the naughty little boy that gets caught pick pocketing bubble gum and lies about it.
These guys should of run on the same ticket.

Originally posted by Avatar4321

Seriously though after hearing the clips im impressed with Bush. I mean im sure him and Clinton dont get along but He just gave the Clintons praises even Democrats dont give him. Despite the fact that i dislike the Clinton agenda. he was president. And the office is a sacred trust. Kudos to Bush in respecting it regardless who is in it.

Yes and I loved the respect for the office and America's White House when Mr. Clinton spoke of national policy on the phone while Ms. Luwensky relieved the president of the pressures of office.

Didn't you just love those giant portraits of Hillary and Bill in their polyester outfits.

:wank:

Wonder how he kept a straight face through all that.

More to the point, I wonder how he managed to keep his lunch down.

:puke3:

New Topics

Forum List

Back