Bush gave Deep Water Horizon 6 citations for safety violations- Obama gave it Awards.

you know that's just partisan tripe....

I don't get in to that kind of stuff.... pass on me next time...but feel free to try to pass it along on to someone else if you like! ;)

Care

I read the AP article, which clearly spelled out the facts. MMS was not doing the inspections, and their own numbers show that they did fewer inspections every year, despite being required to do them on a monthly basis. Then they give an award to the very same rig they are not inspecting for having the best record during inspections. How on Earth is my claim that they got the award for not being inspected partisan tripe? If it will make you feel better I will happily stipulate that the inspections did not occur under Bush, but they still did not happen.

Where does the chain of supervisors end? Who went to court to dismiss the lawsuits against BP by environmentalists who claimed that DH was unsafe?

Bush was pretty laid back, and did a lot to promote off shore drilling, but Obama ran against the entire concept, and promised to stop it, then actually did more to promote it than Bush. If you are against drilling, then you should be against Obama.
WADR, that is not true.
I heard Bam-Bam make it quite clear that he wasn't against new drilling

Where does the chain of supervisors end? Who went to court to dismiss the lawsuits against BP by environmentalists who claimed that DH was unsafe?

Bush was pretty laid back, and did a lot to promote off shore drilling, but Obama ran against the entire concept, and promised to stop it, then actually did more to promote it than Bush. If you are against drilling, then you should be against Obama.
WADR, that is not true.
I heard Bam-Bam make it quite clear that he wasn't against new drilling

My mistake, I was mistaking his campaign with his actions in office. Thank you for correcting me.

Actually until June '08 he was against it.
In Aug '08 he started to flounder and consider it.
The "drill, baby, drill" crowd made themselves heard.
From there, on, he was for it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr9o1sTuhg8]YouTube - Obama On Offshore Drilling[/ame]

The award cited was for the period January to December 2008,

which would have been the last year of Bush's presidency.

How is this supposed to be Obama's fault? or, put another way,

what the fuck is the point of this thread? Can someone with communication skills concisely state the POINT?

So no one can elucidate the point of the OP? Or even find one?

I'm shocked.

Anyone cheerleading for and defending this President's handling of this awful calamity must have some kind of serious mental disorder. This is an incomprehensible disaster. This President has failed miserably on this one. No amount of propaganda spin is going to change that sad reality. Most involved with this calamity are saying that no one's in charge. It really is so sad.

"BP ignored the advice of safety modeling software in an attempt to save time before the disastrous Gulf of Mexico oil spill, according to a presentation slide (PDF) prepared by US investigators. The slide in question briefly appeared on the Oil Spill Commission's website in error, but was quickly retracted. Advanced cement modeling software, provided by BP's cement contractor Halliburton, had highlighted serious stability concerns with the well."

BP Ignored Safety Modeling Software To Save Time - Slashdot

Having searched all over the web for the article and having no luck, I found this on wiki.

Transocean safety record

The rig owner, Transocean, had a "strong overall" safety record with no major incidents for 7 years.[15] However an analysts' review "painted a more equivocal picture"[15] with Transocean rigs being disproportionately responsible for safety related incidents in the Gulf[15] and industry surveys reporting concerns over falling quality and performance.[15] In the 3 years 2005 to 2007 Transocean was the owner of 30% of oilrigs active in the Gulf and 33% of incidents that triggered an MMS investigation were on Transocean rigs, but in the 3 years from 2008 to 15 February 2010 it owned 42% of rigs but was the owner for nearly 3/4 (73%) of incidents.[15] Industry surveys saw this as an effect of its November 2007 merger with rival GlobalSantaFe.[15] Transocean "has had problems" with both cement seals (2005) and blowout preventers (2006), which are the suspected cause of the Deepwater Horizon loss,[15] although Transocean states cementing is a third party task and it has "a strong maintenance program to keep blowout preventers working".[15] According to the Wall Street Journal online:

"In 2008 and 2009, the surveys ranked Transocean last among deep-water drillers for "job quality" and second to last in 'overall satisfaction'. For three years before the merger, Transocean was the leader or near the top in both measures. Transocean ranked first in 2008 and 2009 in a category that gauges its in-house safety and environmental policies"[15]

"There were few indications of any trouble with the Deepwater Horizon before the explosion. The rig won an award from the MMS for its 2008 safety record, and on the day of the disaster, BP and Transocean managers were on board to celebrate seven years without a lost-time accident. Toby Odone, a BP spokesman, said rigs hired by BP have had better safety records than the industry average for six years running, according to MMS statistics that measure the number of citations per inspection. BP has been a finalist for a national safety award from the MMS for the past two years. Mr. Odone wouldn't comment on BP's relationship with Transocean after the Gulf disaster but said BP continues to use Transocean rigs."[15]
Deepwater Horizon explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought I would put the Bush Administrations action against Deep Water Horizon out to see. It was Obama who gave it a Safety Award and his MMS team inspected the rig 10 days before the accident and gave it permission to proceed with the production.

In a stunning AP story, it has been learned that the Bush Administration cited the Deep Water Horizon (The oil rig that sank after an oil well it dug in the Gulf of Mexico exploded) for six safety violations in less than five years beginning in 2002, but the Obama Administration gave it a safety award last year. Here is a key passage in the AP story:

A summary of the inspection history that the MMS officials provided AP said the Deepwater Horizon received six "incidents of noncompliance" — the agency's term for citations.

The most serious occurred July 16, 2002, when the rig was shut down because required pressure tests had not been conducted on parts of the rig's blowout preventer — the device that was supposed to stop oil from gushing out if drilling operations experienced problems.

That citation was "major," said Arnold, who characterized the overall safety record related by MMS as strong.

A citation on Sept. 19, 2002, also involved the blowout preventer. The inspector issued a warning because "problems or irregularities observed during the testing of BOP system and actions taken to remedy such problems or irregularities are not recorded in the driller's report or referenced documents."

During his Senate testimony last week, Transocean CEO Steven Newman said the blowout preventer was modified in 2005.

According to MMS officials, the four other citations were:

• Two on May 16, 2002, for not conducting well control drills as required and not performing "all operations in a safe and workmanlike manner."

• One on Aug. 6, 2003, for discharging pollutants into the Gulf.

• One on March 20, 2007, which prompted inspectors to shut down some machinery because of improper electrical grounding.

You can read the full story here.
..:: The Conservative Edge ::..

You write from the Conservative Edge. Yea, sounds really nonpartisan. On the other hand, let's look at the actual legislation. Paints quite a different picture. Not as "pretty". Make sure you go through the rest of the bill. Quite an eye opener.

Since 2001, energy corporations have showered federal politicians with $115 million in campaign contributions—with three-quarters of that amount going to Republicans. This cash helped secure energy companies and their lobbyists exclusive, private access to lawmakers, starting with Vice-President Dick Cheney’s Energy Task Force, whose report provided the foundation of the energy bill passed by Congress and signed by President Bush on August 8.

Climate and Energy

On August 8, 2005, President Bush signed into the law the energy bill; on July 28,the U.S. House of Representatives voted 275 to 156 to approve the energy bill; and on July 29, the U.S. Senate voted 74 to 26 to approve the energy bill.

Sections 1325-6
This tax break allows natural gas companies to save $1.035 billion by depreciating their property at a much faster rate. This tax break makes no economic sense, as natural gas prices remain at record high levels, and these high prices—not tax breaks—should be all the incentive the industry needs to invest in gathering and distribution lines.

Section 342
Allows oil companies drilling on public land to pay taxpayers in oil rather than in cash.

Sections 344-345
Waives royalty payments for drilling for some natural gas in the Gulf of Mexico.

Section 346
Waives royalty payments for drilling in offshore Alaska.

Sections 353-4
Waives royalty payments for gas hydrate extraction on the Outer Continental Shelf and public land in Alaska.

Section 383
Allows oil companies drilling in federal land off the coast of a particular state to pay the state 44 cents of every dollar it would have paid to the federal government for the privilege of drilling on federal land.

------------------------------

But of course, it's all Obama.

Funny to go back and read some old comments from half a year ago. I was/a,m kind of an asshole.

This President also received the most money from BP of any other politician in America. This is a very little known fact due to our corrupt Liberal MSM. This President and BP are on the same team for God's sake. So many people are just so naive & ignorant on stuff like this. It's back to business as usual for BP and this President. It is very sad but it is what it is.

Forum List

Back