Bush Foreign Policy "Clintonian" In Sudan

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
now we have the no.2 american diplomat saying what's happening in darfur isn't a genocide.

hmm, you know what this sounds like?

"just die you damn dirty africans, just die! you're ruining our glorious peace deal we're all going to have a legacy for!"

this is bullshit, why is pres. bush letting his people act like this is the clinton administration, not the bush administration? like we can negotiate with jihadists who have never kept a promise before. like we can trust them. like we should trust them. like we should abandon the people who are being EXTERMINATED and embrace the people responsible for it.

http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php3?id_article=9078
Robert Zoellick, US deputy secretary of state, on Thursday put pressure on the Sudanese government to stop the violence in Darfur but backed away from the Bush administration's assertion that the mass killings and village burning amounted to genocide.

NATO AIR said:
now we have the no.2 american diplomat saying what's happening in darfur isn't a genocide.

hmm, you know what this sounds like?

"just die you damn dirty africans, just die! you're ruining our glorious peace deal we're all going to have a legacy for!"

this is bullshit, why is pres. bush letting his people act like this is the clinton administration, not the bush administration? like we can negotiate with jihadists who have never kept a promise before. like we can trust them. like we should trust them. like we should abandon the people who are being EXTERMINATED and embrace the people responsible for it.

I don't know NATO, this seems a bit different:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050415/wl_nm/sudan_zoellick_dc_12

ABU SHOUP CAMP, Darfur (Reuters) - U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick expressed concern on Friday that support for Sudan's Darfur region could ebb before refugees packed into teeming camps to escape violence could return home.

Zoellick visited a refugee camp to underscore a revived U.S. strategy to press for an end to the conflict between Sudan's government and Darfur rebels that has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 2 million to flee their homes since 2003.

The camp, one of the best organized by the international community, counted roughly 40,000 inhabitants when it opened last June but has swelled to twice that amount. More people were arriving all the time, officials and aid workers said.

Zoellick welcomed the money pledged by donors in Oslo this week to help southern Sudan cement a peace deal ending a 20-year civil war, and urged a similar commitment to Darfur in the west of Sudan to end the conflict there.

"We have to keep that up," he said of U.S. and international support for Darfur humanitarian efforts.

"But my worry is that if it (the Darfur crisis) continues whether the support would lag," he told reporters...

...Zoellick expressed his intent to keep pushing the expansion of the African Union force now serving as monitors in Darfur from roughly 2,000 to 7,000 or 8,000, and to persuade NATO or various NATO members to provide logistical support for the AU mission.

Earlier Zoellick said the United States might soon begin to help Sudan's former rebels in the south with military modernization to encourage efforts to implement a peace deal.

The January agreement that ended two decades of war calls for the Sudanese government and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) to integrate their armed forces, but allows the SPLM to operate a separate force in the south for six years.

On Tuesday donors exceeded Sudan's aid requests by pledging $4.5 billion to help the south recover from Africa's longest civil war.

The United States, with a pledge of $1.7 billion, is the largest donor. The U.S. Congress has approved about half that amount and is working on approving the rest.

But the United States has said the funding for the south is tied to an end in violence in Darfur, saying the fighting in Sudan's west "cast a dangerous shadow" over the country.

He's giving them a free pass. Going along with what the UN is saying about it not being a genocide ("there's a debate", please give me a fucking break, like the UN or EU even has a right to talk about genocide). Fueling uncertainity and confusion. Hey Zoellick, grow some balls, call it what you know it is, and don't kowtow to Khartoum like you're Sean Penn in Baghdad (the regime isn't that bad you know?)

We shouldn't be negotiating with these bastards in the first place. I'd threaten to massively arm, supply and train the South and the rebels in Darfur unless the genocide in Darfur stops immediately.

http://www.state.gov/s/d/rm/44656.htm
QUESTION: Jonah Fischer, BBC. Secretary of State Powell last year was the first to say what’s going on in Darfur is genocide. Is the United States’ position that genocide is still going on? How many people does the United States think have died in Darfur? (Inaudible).

DEPUTY SECRETARY ZOELLICK: The State Department analysis has been that the number of people who died beyond what would normally die is in the range of sixty to a hundred and sixty, as I believe. That’s thousands. There are numbers that are higher and what I would emphasize in this is that I don’t think anybody could know for sure. So, I think, you know, one has to be cautious with all these estimates, but since you asked I gave you sort of, our range estimate. But recognize that I, as a policy maker, take it with a certain degree of uncertainty around the sides.

And as for your first question, well, Secretary Powell made the point he did because he believes strongly and Secretary Rice believes strongly, and I believe strongly, that what has gone on in Darfur, has to stop. It’s been a terrible series of events and as you know, there’s a debate. The UN did a legal analysis of whether this is genocide and their conclusion was it was crimes of humanity as opposed to genocide. I really don’t want to get into a debate about terminology because I think what we have to do is try to solve the problem and solve both the humanitarian problem and solve the political underlying conditions that led to it. So, I don’t want to get in a conflict with the UN about the structure. You know, my government has spoken about what we thought occurred but frankly, the reason I’m here is not just to talk about terminology but to try to deal with the underlying problem.

Kathianne said:
OK, have to agree, he's a State Department grad. :rolleyes:

Please forgive me.

Just consider what Sudan has been getting away in the past week that the international community has sat back and tolerated.

- attacking humanitarian aid workers
- wiping out an entire village of innocent people.
- sending militia allies to attack Southern positions
- attacking a Chadian diplomat's convoy.
- threatening to let the militia leaders join with Bin Laden and start "jihad" (considering their crimes so far, how the hell they figure they haven't started it already?) if the West/UN harms them

We need a retired Marine who's seen what the janjaweed/Sudanese military has done to the people of Darfur to be the State Dept's sole rep. to Sudan, the only person Sudan is allowed to talk to, the only person they're allowed to deal with.

NATO AIR said:
Please forgive me.

Just consider what Sudan has been getting away in the past week that the international community has sat back and tolerated.

- attacking humanitarian aid workers
- wiping out an entire village of innocent people.
- sending militia allies to attack Southern positions
- attacking a Chadian diplomat's convoy.
- threatening to let the militia leaders join with Bin Laden and start "jihad" (considering their crimes so far, how the hell they figure they haven't started it already?) if the West/UN harms them

We need a retired Marine who's seen what the janjaweed/Sudanese military has done to the people of Darfur to be the State Dept's sole rep. to Sudan, the only person Sudan is allowed to talk to, the only person they're allowed to deal with.

No forgiveness necessary, the rolleyes was towards the State Department, not you! :thup:

Kathianne said:
No forgiveness necessary, the rolleyes was towards the State Department, not you! :thup:

:), that's why you need to work for Condi.

Btw, me and my new Japanese AI friend are taking bets on when AU peace monitors start getting taken hostage by the Sudanese. Wanna join in?

This thing is looking more and more like Bosnia every week.

NATO AIR said:
:), that's why you need to work for Condi.

Btw, me and my new Japanese AI friend are taking bets on when AU peace monitors start getting taken hostage by the Sudanese. Wanna join in?

This thing is looking more and more like Bosnia every week.

I agree with the Bosnia comparison, one must remember that Europe was not effective in that ON THEIR OWN CONTINENT! They should be joining us for serious UN military intervention, even if it means US/UK/AU but with others footing the bill...

Kathianne said:
I agree with the Bosnia comparison, one must remember that Europe was not effective in that ON THEIR OWN CONTINENT! They should be joining us for serious UN military intervention, even if it means US/UK/AU but with others footing the bill...

Journalists and students I've talked to from Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania seem to be of the mind those 4 nations would be keen on being the African members of the Coalition of the Willing (to Save Darfur). I definitely figure the Rwandans and Ugandans would want to stop it, their own experiences with genocide and mass murder giving their soldiers motivation to do something about Darfur.

As for myself, I offered to write Pres. Bush's speech to Americans as to why we're sending forces to Darfur. Too bad they weren't interested :)

NATO AIR said:
Journalists and students I've talked to from Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania seem to be of the mind those 4 nations would be keen on being the African members of the Coalition of the Willing (to Save Darfur). I definitely figure the Rwandans and Ugandans would want to stop it, their own experiences with genocide and mass murder giving their soldiers motivation to do something about Darfur.

As for myself, I offered to write Pres. Bush's speech to Americans as to why we're sending forces to Darfur. Too bad they weren't interested :)
Write it and send it to Karl Rove! See if anything comes of it. Avoid hyperbole.

Kathianne said:
Write it and send it to Karl Rove! See if anything comes of it. Avoid hyperbole.

My CWO2 in my workcenter I am TDY (temporary duty) to made me write it because I started bitching about Bush and Darfur a few days ago watching the news.

Ha, um, I forget, what is hyperbole?

I just want to see what happens (and I hate to be cheering for it to happen, but it will, its just the nature of Sudan's regime) when this peace deal goes to shit because the regime violates it by invading the South again once it realizes it has no way to stop them from going independent in 6 years.

NATO AIR said:
My CWO2 in my workcenter I am TDY (temporary duty) to made me write it because I started bitching about Bush and Darfur a few days ago watching the news.

Ha, um, I forget, what is hyperbole?

I just want to see what happens (and I hate to be cheering for it to happen, but it will, its just the nature of Sudan's regime) when this peace deal goes to shit because the regime violates it by invading the South again once it realizes it has no way to stop them from going independent in 6 years.

:laugh: hy·per·bo·le ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pûrb-l)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

Kathianne said:
:laugh: hy·per·bo·le ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-pûrb-l)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

Thank you teacher!

(does Ralph Wiggum impersonation)

umm, teacher, my glue stick is stuck in my hair.

:alco: (Saturday night right now and the rum & cokes start now while reading the USMB)

NATO AIR said:
Thank you teacher!

(does Ralph Wiggum impersonation)

umm, teacher, my glue stick is stuck in my hair.

:alco: (Saturday night right now and the rum & cokes start now while reading the USMB)

:teeth: :laugh:

Forum List

Back