Bush foreign policy a 'national disaster'

T

TheOne

Retired general: Bush foreign policy a 'national disaster'

(CNN) -- A former Air Force chief of staff and one-time "Veteran for Bush" said Saturday that America's foreign relations for the first three years of President Bush's term have been "a national disaster" but that the president's Democratic rival was "up to the task" of rebuilding.

Retired Gen. Tony McPeak, the Air Force chief of staff during the first Gulf War, delivered the Democratic radio address supporting implementation of the 9/11 commission's recommendations for national security.

"As president, John Kerry will not waste a minute in bringing action on the reforms urged by the 9/11 commission," McPeak said of the Massachusetts senator nominated by the Democrats this week. "And he will not rest until America's defenses are strong."

The president, on the other hand, "fought against the very formation of the commission and continues to the present moment to give it only grudging cooperation, no matter what he says," the general said. "Why should we believe he will do anything to institute the needed change?"

Administration officials have said that Bush could approve some of the commission's suggested changes by early next week.

McPeak, a former fighter pilot who campaigned for Bob Dole in 1996 as well as Bush in 2000, said Bush's inability to craft a true allied coalition was a serious deficiency.

"The report of the 9/11 commission makes this clear: Fighting terrorists alone just doesn't work," he said. "If our enemy hatches a terror plot in Rome, we will need help from the Italians. If German intelligence knows the whereabouts of a senior al Qaeda member, America must have that information."

Instead, he said, Bush has "alienated our friends, damaged our credibility around the world, reduced our influence to an all-time low in my lifetime, given hope to our enemies."

McPeak said he backed Bush in 2000 because he "had hoped this president could provide" the leadership needed to face modern threats. But disillusionment, he said, has led him to change his voter registration from Republican to independent and shift his support to Kerry.

"The real deal for me is not whether a strategy or a plan or an idea is Republican or Democrat, but whether it makes us safer," he said. "And it means an awful lot to me that John Kerry fought for his country as a young man."

"We who have some experience -- who have seen war close up and sent troops to battle -- know that victory is not won by single combat," he continued. "War is not like that. War is a team sport.

"We built the team that won World War II. We put together the great team that won the Cold War. That's why what has happened over the last three years is such a tragedy, such a national disaster. Rebuilding the team won't be easy."

article

TheOne said:

This general better re-read his history. The US didn't form any team in WWII, it JOINED ONE THAT ALREADY EXISTED. In the beginning we helped other countries who REQUESTED our assistance by providing materiel and financing. Japan "invited" us to join the allied forces team militarily.

dilloduck Japan "invited" us to join the allied forces team militarily.[/QUOTE said:
LOL! Indeed, they did. That little gambit made every other blunder in history seem like genius.

"As president, John Kerry will not waste a minute in bringing action on the reforms urged by the 9/11 commission," McPeak said of the Massachusetts senator nominated by the Democrats this week. "And he will not rest until America's defenses are strong."

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just goes to show ya - some generals retire and go fishing. Others enter civilian life as corporate officers. Still others become whores for the Democratic party and make fools of themselves.

Exactly what is a failure about liberating two nations from hostile dictatorships and bringing three hostlie nations to the tables convincing one to actually disarm? Thats more then clinton did all 8 years in office. Heck thats more President Bush's Fathter did.

As for the 911 reforms. Here is a stupid question. If Kerry is so dang concerned about implimenting the reforms in the 911 commission, why doesnt he get off his lazy absent @$$ and actually draft up legislation to push it through the Senate rather then waiting for the President to do so, which ironicly the President is already starting. I meant its not like Senator Kerry is totally powerless in regards to this. He is a Senator. I know he may think that means he gets a fancy title and he doenst have to do anything but get botox injections and shake hands with people he hates every 6 years, but come on. If you are so concerned about it, do something. Why the heck are you in the Senate if you want others to do things?

Thats the same problem i had with Al Gore. He made all these promises and i was just thinking, ok so if you want to give us this, propose legislation now. show us you are willing to do it. I mean youve only had 8 years in office as vice president to get things done. Why should we expect you to do them if you are elected president.

If Kerry is so concerned, draft legislation dont whine to the public.

Forum List

Back