Bush denies Iraq war is lost

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
President George Bush says sectarian murders have dropped by half in Baghdad since the US-Iraqi military buildup began in February, rejecting a Democratic leader's claim that the war is lost.

The president said early signs show the operation to quell violence is meeting expectations.

"There are still horrific attacks in Iraq, such as the bombings in Baghdad on Wednesday, but the direction of the fight is beginning to shift," Bush said on Friday in his second speech on terrorism in two days.

Bush spoke at a high school in suburban Grand Rapids to about 500 students and members of the World Affairs Council of Western Michigan. Outside, dozens of protesters shouted anti-war chants and held signs that said "No blood for oil," "End imperialism now" and "Sieg heil Bush."

Bush urged Americans not to be swayed by the violence inflicted by suicide bombers and focus, instead, on incremental gains Iraqi and US forces are making day by day, block by block in Baghdad. Weapons stockpiles are being seized, extremists are being captured and displaced families are returning home, he said.

"When a family decides to stop depending on militias to protect them or a young man rejects insurgency and joins the Iraqi army, it doesn't usually make the evening news," Bush said.

The Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, says the war in Iraq is "lost" and can only be won through political, economic and diplomatic means. He said the surge is not accomplishing anything. Republicans have pounced on Reid for his comments, accusing him of turning his back on the troops and hurting military morale in Iraq.

Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who chairs the Armed Services Committee, defended Reid on Friday. Levin said he agreed the military fight in Iraq cannot be won and that Bush's strategy lacks the necessary leverage to force Iraqi politicians to reach a settlement.

Bush "doesn't have the teeth," Levin told reporters in a conference call. "He doesn't have the pressure on the Iraqi leaders by just repeating, which he's done now for a month, that our patience is not unlimited."

Senator Amy Klobuchar, a Minnesota Democrat, said the United States needs to send a clear message to the Iraqi Government that American troops won't stay there indefinitely. Klobuchar, who visited Baghdad and Fallujah last month, said the best thing America can do for its troops is to get its Iraq policy right.

"This means, as recommended by the bipartisan Iraq Study Group, that we begin the process of redeploying our troops with the goal of withdrawing combat forces by next year," she said in remarks prepared for broadcast yesterday following the president's weekly radio address.

Pushing back against Democrats, Bush said that not all the troops that he ordered in January in a military buildup have arrived. It is too early to assume defeat, he said.

"Ultimately, withdrawal would increase the probability that American troops would have to return to Iraq - and confront an enemy that is even more dangerous," Bush said.

In past addresses on the war, Bush has worked to paint a rose-coloured picture of progress in Iraq. This time, he showed the audience in Michigan maps and a photograph of the rubble left

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bush-denies-iraq-war-is-lost/2007/04/21/1176697158057.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/21/world/middleeast/21prexy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

President George Bush says sectarian murders have dropped by half in Baghdad since the US-Iraqi military buildup began in February, rejecting a Democratic leader's claim that the war is lost.

The president said early signs show the operation to quell violence is meeting expectations.

"There are still horrific attacks in Iraq, such as the bombings in Baghdad on Wednesday, but the direction of the fight is beginning to shift," Bush said on Friday in his second speech on terrorism in two days.

Bush spoke at a high school in suburban Grand Rapids to about 500 students and members of the World Affairs Council of Western Michigan. Outside, dozens of protesters shouted anti-war chants and held signs that said "No blood for oil," "End imperialism now" and "Sieg heil Bush."

Bush urged Americans not to be swayed by the violence inflicted by suicide bombers and focus, instead, on incremental gains Iraqi and US forces are making day by day, block by block in Baghdad. Weapons stockpiles are being seized, extremists are being captured and displaced families are returning home, he said.

"When a family decides to stop depending on militias to protect them or a young man rejects insurgency and joins the Iraqi army, it doesn't usually make the evening news," Bush said.

The Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid, says the war in Iraq is "lost" and can only be won through political, economic and diplomatic means. He said the surge is not accomplishing anything. Republicans have pounced on Reid for his comments, accusing him of turning his back on the troops and hurting military morale in Iraq.

Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who chairs the Armed Services Committee, defended Reid on Friday. Levin said he agreed the military fight in Iraq cannot be won and that Bush's strategy lacks the necessary leverage to force Iraqi politicians to reach a settlement.

Bush "doesn't have the teeth," Levin told reporters in a conference call. "He doesn't have the pressure on the Iraqi leaders by just repeating, which he's done now for a month, that our patience is not unlimited."

Senator Amy Klobuchar, a Minnesota Democrat, said the United States needs to send a clear message to the Iraqi Government that American troops won't stay there indefinitely. Klobuchar, who visited Baghdad and Fallujah last month, said the best thing America can do for its troops is to get its Iraq policy right.

"This means, as recommended by the bipartisan Iraq Study Group, that we begin the process of redeploying our troops with the goal of withdrawing combat forces by next year," she said in remarks prepared for broadcast yesterday following the president's weekly radio address.

Pushing back against Democrats, Bush said that not all the troops that he ordered in January in a military buildup have arrived. It is too early to assume defeat, he said.

"Ultimately, withdrawal would increase the probability that American troops would have to return to Iraq - and confront an enemy that is even more dangerous," Bush said.

In past addresses on the war, Bush has worked to paint a rose-coloured picture of progress in Iraq. This time, he showed the audience in Michigan maps and a photograph of the rubble left

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bush-denies-iraq-war-is-lost/2007/04/21/1176697158057.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/21/world/middleeast/21prexy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

and?

---------------------------------------------------

On every available indicator the year just ended (March 2006 – March 2007) has been by far the worst year for violence against civilians in Iraq since the invasion:

almost half (44%) of all violent civilian deaths after the initial invasion phase occurred in the just-ended fourth year of the conflict

mortar attacks that kill civilians have quadrupled in the last year (from 73 to 289)

massive bomb blasts that kill more than 50 people have nearly doubled in the last year (from 9 to 17)

fatal suicide bombs, car bombs, and roadside bombing attacks have doubled in the last year (from 712 to 1476)

one in 160 of Baghdad’s 6.5 million population has been violently killed since the beginning of the war, representing 64% of deaths recorded so far

These are the stark headlines derived from Iraq Body Count’s ongoing compilation and analysis of media reports of civilian casualties in the Iraq conflict, which has documented 65,000 violent deaths to date.

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/press/pr15.php

So last year was the worst, Bush says its better, we would see the next few months if anything is changing. I guess once all the walls are up, things should be hunky dorey.

---------------------------------------------------

On every available indicator the year just ended (March 2006 – March 2007) has been by far the worst year for violence against civilians in Iraq since the invasion:

almost half (44%) of all violent civilian deaths after the initial invasion phase occurred in the just-ended fourth year of the conflict

mortar attacks that kill civilians have quadrupled in the last year (from 73 to 289)

massive bomb blasts that kill more than 50 people have nearly doubled in the last year (from 9 to 17)

fatal suicide bombs, car bombs, and roadside bombing attacks have doubled in the last year (from 712 to 1476)

one in 160 of Baghdad’s 6.5 million population has been violently killed since the beginning of the war, representing 64% of deaths recorded so far

These are the stark headlines derived from Iraq Body Count’s ongoing compilation and analysis of media reports of civilian casualties in the Iraq conflict, which has documented 65,000 violent deaths to date.

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/press/pr15.php

So last year was the worst, Bush says its better, we would see the next few months if anything is changing. I guess once all the walls are up, things should be hunky dorey.
Good job. Though I would assume no one is going to give it a few months, I mean that would be silly, no?

Good job. Though I would assume no one is going to give it a few months, I mean that would be silly, no?

At this point honestly only time will tell, Bush is partly right in that we need to be patient.

What he needs to start doing is explaining to people why the US cant just pull out, instead of playing games with Congress.

He needs to tell the public that if the US leaves HOW it will potentially get worse, and WHY.

No more blaming congress. No more blaming bush.

Everyone needs to accept that the US is there and cant just turn around and walk away.

Bush should almost fess up and say the US has an obligation to stay until the mess is cleaned up.

When he says "stay till the jobs done" people are assuming he is referring to the war, when the war is over the US can leave.

thats not the problem.

and patience is needed.

I do wish things would hurry up though.

At this point honestly only time will tell, Bush is partly right in that we need to be patient.

What he needs to start doing is explaining to people why the US cant just pull out, instead of playing games with Congress.

He needs to tell the public that if the US leaves HOW it will potentially get worse, and WHY.

Everyone needs to accept that the US is there and cant just turn around and walk away.

Bush should almost fess up and say the US has an oobligation to stay until the mess is clceaned up.

When he says "stay till the jobs done" people are assuming he is referring to the war, when the war is over the US can leave.

thats not the problem.

and patience is needed.

I'm sorry if I'm about to dump unjustly on you, but bottom line, those that wish the surge will work are neandrathals. Those that think nothing will work are libtards. Isn't that the bottom line? We are a country of cannibals.

I'm sorry if I'm about to dump unjustly on you, but bottom line, those that wish the surge will work are neandrathals. Those that think nothing will work are libtards. Isn't that the bottom line? We are a country of cannibals.

Pretty soon the food's going to runout and the last one standing will be a vegetarian :cool:

Well...Ya gota look at this as...Stay the course.

Vote McCaine in...and no need to go to a Plan "B".

Superlative...(smile).

No need to show proof of any more in this Surge,invasion,occupation....Point out a few facts...they all shut up.

Not one can answer a question...just pretend to de-bait in hope of distraction..or colorful words...I gota hand it to alot of you..:)

I so wish there was at least one here/that could hear...who could testify that I am to smart for my own good.

I personaly believe also..and I could go get signatures from Vets,Parents..People who give a dam about there neighborhood..and PEOPLE as a whole...This Country....NOT just here they care about..but the world as well...

Smell the coffee people...that is shot to shi_..:)...without the "t"

Cons should stop blaming the libs..for there own political downfall.

They had the opportunity after 911..the world was with us...They blew it...

Even Gore in office..woulda done a better job than this moron in office...

Yeeehaaa...:)

Creek

You're too smart for your own good. You can do better than this.

How's that? :cool:

I could end up...getting myself into alot of trouble...(smile).

Ya only live once...and I might as well so gently prove it..BUT..even the most die hards are just children to me..(regs).

Take...take breaths...(Look at me..Breath)..hold your ground & your breath once again...You can do it!!.....(Deep Breaths Here)...(smile).

All of you who read this..practice sucking..and the sounds...(smile)...I wana hear some slurping.

Creek..(Ass Kicker At Large).

A lot of people wouldnt consider it silly, (even though it obviously is) because their agenda and hatred for Bush overides the notion of the US winning.

Most dems
Most MSM- the ones that distort, distort, distort,

a lot of the public that is mainly mis informed by the MSM, will expect it because the MSM wont present an accurate picture of what is going on.

ADD in that the US has a very strong fast food mentality these days.

AS for Gore doing a better job than Bush, dude, you need to get back on your meds. QUICK!!!! You are FUCKING NUTS. I suppose you are one of those whack jobs that actually self delude themselves into believing the economy isnt doing good.

Bush should almost fess up and say the US has an oobligation to stay until the mess is clceaned up.

thats not the problem.

and patience is needed.

That is actually a pretty good way to state it. BUt one problem, the MSM doesnt present the view point of Bush as much as they present their own liberal anti US agenda.

why would you consider them neanderthals?

That is actually a pretty good way to state it. BUt one problem, the MSM doesnt present the view point of Bush as much as they present their own liberal anti US agenda.

The MSM - oh no not the liberal MSM - the ones owned by all the multi-mega-national corporations you mean? Damn them liberal corporations! Damn them I say! :shock:

9 U.S. Soldiers Killed in Suicide Bombing in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Tuesday, April 24 — A devastating suicide car bombing on Monday killed nine American soldiers and wounded 20 others near a patrol base in Diyala Province, the military announced early today.

The Islamic State of Iraq, an insurgent group that includes Al Qaeda in Iraq, claimed responsibility for the attack, which also wounded an Iraqi civilian.

The American soldiers were all paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division.

It was one of the most lethal suicide bomb attacks on American troops in Iraq. Another occurred on Dec. 21, 2004, when a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest walked into a mess tent on an American base in Mosul and detonated his charge, killing 14 United States soldiers.

In the past six months, Diyala Province, where several Sunni Arab insurgent groups are active, has become one of the most dangerous places in Iraq for American soldiers.

The soldiers were members of the 82nd Airborne’s 5th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, the A.P. reported, citing Maj. Tom Earnhardt, a spokesman for the 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg.

”Fifteen of the wounded were superficial and they were treated on the spot and returned to duty,” Maj. Earnhardt said, according to the A.P. “Five were evacuated to a military hospital, but none of the five have life-threatening injuries.”

Maj. Earnhardt said the unit deployed in August to Iraq, the A.P. reported. It is one of three of the division’s four brigade combat teams now in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Other attacks in which large numbers of American military personnel have died include several instances in which insurgents shot down helicopters carrying numerous troops and one attack on United States marines serving in Anbar Province.

In that attack, on Aug. 3, 2005, a huge roadside bomb exploded near Haditha, killing 14 marines who were involved in combat operations and traveling in an amphibious vehicle. On Monday, an American soldier also died in Muqdadiya when a roadside bomb exploded, the military said in a news release.

Today, two car bombs exploded in a parking lot in front of the Iranian embassy in Baghdad, wounding four people, a day after two bombs exploded in the same area, news services reported. American officials accuse Iranians of fueling Iraq’s sectarian conflict by supplying weapons and training to Shiite militias.

On Monday, five car bombs exploded across Iraq, killing a total of 22 people, and a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest walked into a popular restaurant near Baghdad’s fortified International Zone, formerly known as the Green Zone, and detonated his explosives, killing six people.

Ten people were killed in northern Iraq when a suicide car bomber struck a Kurdish Democratic Party outpost on Monday.

In Baquba, in Diyala Province, a suicide car bomber attacked a group of police cars parked at an intersection, killing six policemen and a seventh, who was injured, later died, according to a government official in Baquba.

In Hilla, a suicide car bomber attacked a restaurant, killing two people.

In Falluja, two suicide truck bombs exploded near the Huriyah neighborhood, killing three people, according to a statement from the United States military.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/world/middleeast/24bombing.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

I am well aware that the US cannot leave, but this has got to end somehow.

The MSM - oh no not the liberal MSM - the ones owned by all the multi-mega-national corporations you mean? Damn them liberal corporations! Damn them I say! :shock:

Yea, I hear that too much. Why does everyone and bill oreily continue to say the MSM is liberal bias? Hes on the biggest network in the world! And cnn has several extreme conservative hosts (glenn beck)....I still dont see how the media is leaning left, I do see alot of blame going on though.

Forum List

Back