Bush denies federal aid to Ohio flood victims

Discussion in 'Politics' started by clumzgirl, Sep 20, 2004.

1. clumzgirl

clumzgirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You all know I'm a Bush supporter and campaign volunteer extraordinaire, but today I'm on shaky ground. Here's why:

Here in Columbiana County and the surrounding areas, we've been hit by the remnants of both Frances and Ivan, to the tune of $10 million in damage. The first round was in late August, the second last week, and the flooding was like nothing I've ever seen before. Roads disappeared and caved in, houses washed away, many are STILL without clean water, and some are sleeping in their trucks because they're afraid of the growing mold.

Our congressmen wrote letters to Bush, as did the governor. Several letters each, in fact. Only today did Bush respond: the county will get help for the second round of flooding, but not the first.

WTF?!?!

Much of the damage caused by the 2nd round was exacerbated by the first flooding. I'm tempted to join our democratic friends in saying, "If Jeb Bush were OUR governor..."

Apparently Bush isn't all that concerned about winning Ohio because I'm pretty sure he just lost this battleground county.

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but if he is giving aid for the second round doesnt that mean Ohians are getting aid? How is that denying aid.

3. clumzgirl

clumzgirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    He's denying aid for the round that hurt the most, caused the most damage, and cost the most monetarily.

For example, if your basement wall caved in during the first round and flooded the basement, caused foundation problems, etc. and your basement re-flooded during the second round (due to the gaping hole in the wall) and caused a 2nd wall to collapse, they'll help with the second wall but not the first. (This is a stupid example but you get the idea.) It makes no sense.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    yeah it really doesnt make sense but some is better than none isnt it?

5. clumzgirl

clumzgirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, it's better than none, I suppose, but I thought of this example:

If your house was washed away in the first flooding, then *technically* it wasn't damaged in the second round. Therefore, you qualify for nothing.

Now, it has come to my attention that those with insurance don't qualify for help anyway, which is reasonable, but this is a pretty poor area on the northern most edge of Appalachia and there are many steelworkers and coalminers out of work.

In an election year, I think this was a poor decision on Bush's part. Also, he never declared it a disaster area, even though many roads are still closed, schools are closed because there's no water, etc. We just don't have the manpower or resources to get this fixed in a timely manner. Parts of the county are still under several feet of water.

As a volunteer, I know this county is highly sought after since it's 50/50. They've (Bush-Cheney Ohio) been courting and pushing us like mad. Our job to cement support for the president will be that much harder after an announcement like this.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Perhaps there's a protocol to follow which was not. Perhaps the aid will come, but later. Perhaps the letters didn't contain strong-enough of a case?

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i may be incorrect but how good are relations between gov. taft and pres. bush?

there could be a small chance that this is payback for some of the things taft has done as governor that many conservatives (mostly outside of ohio from the two articles i read) didn't much appreciate.

(hey all presidents do it, you gotta make your point to folks, even within your own party)

8. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Here's a link.

http://www.ema.ohio.gov/2004Press_Releases.htm

The second from the top is the President's declaration of a disaster area for 15 counties. I couldn't find anything about first flood or second flood. Makes me wonder if that wasn't a local decision.

9. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I am wondering too if there was some kind of protocal. I didn't see anything in the link either about Ist or 2nd round. I have to admit,that if true it doesn't sound like a good move in election year being that Bush and Kerry have been in this state almost every week fighting for our 20 electoral votes. I would hope he wouldn't do something like this to get back at Taft for something,although Taft has ticked some people here off with his taxes. There has to be a good reason if the first round is denied. I hope. I saw this stuff on the news,but didn't realise it was that bad. Good luck to all you clumz,I hope whatever you guys need comes your way.

10. clumzgirl

clumzgirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here's a link to a local paper that helps explain it:

HTML:
    http://www.morningjournalnews.com/news/story/0921202004_new02news21.asp