Bush = Conservative

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
This is worth sharing.

Same Old Party
Published: October 8, 2007

"There have been a number of articles recently that portray President Bush as someone who strayed from the path of true conservatism. Republicans, these articles say, need to return to their roots.

Well, I don’t know what true conservatism is, but while doing research for my forthcoming book I spent a lot of time studying the history of the American political movement that calls itself conservatism — and Mr. Bush hasn’t strayed from the path at all. On the contrary, he’s the very model of a modern movement conservative...

Now, as they survey the wreckage of their cause, conservatives may ask themselves: “Well, how did we get here?” They may tell themselves: “This is not my beautiful Right.” They may ask themselves: “My God, what have we done?”

But their movement is the same as it ever was. And Mr. Bush is movement conservatism’s true, loyal heir."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/o...5a&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Paul Krugman

Man, i'd love for someone to give me one good reason, besides his position on abortion (which doesn't matter anyway, since the Federal govt. should have no say in it), and his cliche' "tax cuts", why Bush should be considered a Conservative.

The man has spent more money, built more nations, and increased the size of Federal government more than any president in history.

To say that article was weak, would be a monumental understatement.

It referenced Irving Kristol, for christ's sake. The god-father of neo-conservatism, which is anything BUT Conservative. Most of them are ex-liberals and democrats...although these days, their actions SCREAM liberalism.

This is worth sharing.

Same Old Party
Published: October 8, 2007

"There have been a number of articles recently that portray President Bush as someone who strayed from the path of true conservatism. Republicans, these articles say, need to return to their roots.

Well, I don’t know what true conservatism is, but while doing research for my forthcoming book I spent a lot of time studying the history of the American political movement that calls itself conservatism — and Mr. Bush hasn’t strayed from the path at all. On the contrary, he’s the very model of a modern movement conservative...

Now, as they survey the wreckage of their cause, conservatives may ask themselves: “Well, how did we get here?” They may tell themselves: “This is not my beautiful Right.” They may ask themselves: “My God, what have we done?”

But their movement is the same as it ever was. And Mr. Bush is movement conservatism’s true, loyal heir."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/o...5a&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Paul Krugman

What rubbish. Bush may be conservative on some issues, but he is definitely not on some. Illegal immigration and fiscal spending come to mind right off the top. He's acting like a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat on those issues.

haha, Bush is about as conservative as Chuck Norris is gay.

Seriously though, if bush is a conservative then we're going to be seeing a lot of donkeys in the white house for a long time. bush is a neocon, not a conservative. Conservatives that I know aren't in favor of less freedom, increased federal gov growth and spending, increasing debt, or liberating our boarders.

haha, Bush is about as conservative as Chuck Norris is gay.

Seriously though, if bush is a conservative then we're going to be seeing a lot of donkeys in the white house for a long time. bush is a neocon, not a conservative. Conservatives that I know aren't in favor of less freedom, increased federal gov growth and spending, increasing debt, or liberating our boarders.

Damn, I thought you'd smoked yourself to death or something.:eusa_think:

Chuck Norris is gay, didn't know that. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Funny how conservatives run from themselves. If W is not conservative who is? It must be that conservative like libertarian is more of a belief system than a political philosophy. Actually that probably is true as I see Ron Paul mentioned, a nice doctor who also believes as Marxists believe economics is god. Hmm... given the 'trickle down economics' aka 'voodoo economics' of Reagan/W guess it is god.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0607.wolfe.html

Chuck Norris is gay, didn't know that. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Funny how conservatives run from themselves. If W is not conservative who is? It must be that conservative like libertarian is more of a belief system than a political philosophy. Actually that probably is true as I see Ron Paul mentioned, a nice doctor who also believes as Marxists believe economics is god. Hmm... given the 'trickle down economics' aka 'voodoo economics' of Reagan/W guess it is god.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0607.wolfe.html

Bush is a moderate republican. He may be slightly to the right but he has a lot of slightly to the left positions as well. What I find hilarious is the lefts claiming being conservative is bad but being liberal is good. But of course the when accused of being liberal they say " who me?"

RetiredGySgt, "who me," me :lol:

It is not the label that is bad it is what grows out it. This is the first I have heard Bush is to the left! I think you are misinterpreting his corporate positions.

Chuck Norris is gay, didn't know that. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Funny how conservatives run from themselves. If W is not conservative who is?

On the ideological clock, with 9:00 being hard left and 3:00 bring haed right, GWB sits at about 11:30, with the GOP in general at 11:00.

The GOP today is where the Dems were in 1980.

I'm trying to think of any issues where Bush isn't LBJ v2.0.

...tax cuts I guess? Err, didn't taxes get cut right after Kennedy died? I can't think of anything else.

Forum List

Back