Bush = Conservative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midcan5, Oct 9, 2007.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    This is worth sharing.

Same Old Party
    Published: October 8, 2007

"There have been a number of articles recently that portray President Bush as someone who strayed from the path of true conservatism. Republicans, these articles say, need to return to their roots.

Well, I don’t know what true conservatism is, but while doing research for my forthcoming book I spent a lot of time studying the history of the American political movement that calls itself conservatism — and Mr. Bush hasn’t strayed from the path at all. On the contrary, he’s the very model of a modern movement conservative...

Now, as they survey the wreckage of their cause, conservatives may ask themselves: “Well, how did we get here?” They may tell themselves: “This is not my beautiful Right.” They may ask themselves: “My God, what have we done?”

But their movement is the same as it ever was. And Mr. Bush is movement conservatism’s true, loyal heir."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/o...5a&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Paul Krugman

2. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,539
    Man, i'd love for someone to give me one good reason, besides his position on abortion (which doesn't matter anyway, since the Federal govt. should have no say in it), and his cliche' "tax cuts", why Bush should be considered a Conservative.

The man has spent more money, built more nations, and increased the size of Federal government more than any president in history.

To say that article was weak, would be a monumental understatement.

It referenced Irving Kristol, for christ's sake. The god-father of neo-conservatism, which is anything BUT Conservative. Most of them are ex-liberals and democrats...although these days, their actions SCREAM liberalism.

3. RightWingSpirit

RightWingSpirit BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am thinking you're one of those damn hippies!!!!

j/k

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What rubbish. Bush may be conservative on some issues, but he is definitely not on some. Illegal immigration and fiscal spending come to mind right off the top. He's acting like a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat on those issues.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Paul Krugman is a Jew and a liar. Which comes first? I forget.

6. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    haha, Bush is about as conservative as Chuck Norris is gay.

Seriously though, if bush is a conservative then we're going to be seeing a lot of donkeys in the white house for a long time. bush is a neocon, not a conservative. Conservatives that I know aren't in favor of less freedom, increased federal gov growth and spending, increasing debt, or liberating our boarders.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Damn, I thought you'd smoked yourself to death or something.:eusa_think:

8. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Chuck Norris is gay, didn't know that. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Funny how conservatives run from themselves. If W is not conservative who is? It must be that conservative like libertarian is more of a belief system than a political philosophy. Actually that probably is true as I see Ron Paul mentioned, a nice doctor who also believes as Marxists believe economics is god. Hmm... given the 'trickle down economics' aka 'voodoo economics' of Reagan/W guess it is god.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2006/0607.wolfe.html

9. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,029
    Bush is a moderate republican. He may be slightly to the right but he has a lot of slightly to the left positions as well. What I find hilarious is the lefts claiming being conservative is bad but being liberal is good. But of course the when accused of being liberal they say " who me?"

10. midcan5

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    RetiredGySgt, "who me," me :lol:

It is not the label that is bad it is what grows out it. This is the first I have heard Bush is to the left! I think you are misinterpreting his corporate positions.