Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070702/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/cia_leak_trial

Bush spares Libby from prison

14 minutes ago

President Bush spared former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby from a 2 1/2-year prison term on Monday, issuing an order that commutes his sentence.

This is a breaking news update. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
Before 'breaking'
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby cannot delay his 2 1/2-year prison term in the CIA leak case, a federal appeals panel unanimously ruled Monday.

The decision is a major setback for Libby, who is running out of legal options and who probably will have to surrender to prison in weeks. The ruling puts pressure on President Bush, who has been sidestepping calls by Libby's allies to pardon the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney.

Libby was convicted in March of lying and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity. He is the highest-ranking White House official ordered to prison since the Iran-Contra affair.

Libby believed he had a good chance of overturning the conviction on appeal and asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit to put the sentence on hold. In a two-sentence ruling, the court refused.

The White House had no immediate reaction to the decision.

It's about time. The liberals got their pound of flesh, breaking and jailing a man who had done nothing wrong before being put on trial. They'll have to settle for that. They won't be satisfied, of course, but that's the way the ball bounces.

Now if would only pardon Ramos and Compean, the two Border Patrol agents who wounded an illegal alien drug smuggler that the US govt later paid to come back to the US and testify against them. For not filing a proper report on the incident, they are serving 10-plus years in Federal prison while the smuggler walks free.

--------------------------------------------------

Bush commutes sentence for Libby

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

July 2, 2007, 5:52 PM EDT

President Bush commuted the sentence of former aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby Monday, sparing him from a 2 1/2-year prison term in the CIA leak case.

Bush left intact a $250,000 fine and two years probation for Libby, according to a senior White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been announced.

Bush's move came hours after a federal appeals panel ruled Libby could not delay his prison term in the CIA leak case. That decision put the pressure on the president, who had been sidestepping calls by Libby's allies to pardon the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney.

Libby was convicted in March of lying to authorities and obstructing the investigation into the 2003 leak of CIA operative's identity. He was the highest-ranking White House official ordered to prison since the Iran-Contra affair.

It's about time. The liberals got their pound of flesh, breaking and jailing a man who had done nothing wrong before being put on trial. They'll have to settle for that. They won't be satisfied, of course, but that's the way the ball bounces.

So Little Acorn....you must feel the same way about Bill Clinton huh?

He should never have been impeached for lying under oath?

So Little Acorn....you must feel the same way about Bill Clinton huh?

He should never have been impeached for lying under oath?

Not the same. Clinton DID lie under oath and was NOT convicted for it. All Libby did is try to answer the questions put to him.

she had a desk job, how is that classifed, and their were reports she said she was a cia agent at parties.

I dont think libby deserved to be found guilty, he was a scape goat.

What about sandy berger, he committed a worse crime, trying to cover up the truth. by destroying original documents..

He lied under oath.

And her identity WAS classified.

Not the same. Clinton DID lie under oath and was NOT convicted for it. All Libby did is try to answer the questions put to him.

All Libby did is try to answer the questions put to him

Please.

Libby was convicted by jury of peers of perjury, obstruction of justice, and lying to the FBI.

Martha Stewart did a year in jail for far less.

All Libby did is try to answer the questions put to him

Even Bush admits Libby committed a felony. What universe are you living in?

GEORGE BUSH, July 2, 2007: "Mr. Fitzgerald is a highly qualified, professional prosecutor who carried out his responsibilities as charged.

... [A] jury of citizens weighed all the evidence and listened to all the testimony and found Mr. Libby guilty of perjury and obstructing justice. They argue, correctly, that our entire system of justice relies on people telling the truth. And if a person does not tell the truth, particularly if he serves in government and holds the public trust, he must be held accountable. . . .

she had a desk job, how is that classifed, and their were reports she said she was a cia agent at parties.

Can you substantiate this gossip?
I dont think libby deserved to be found guilty, he was a scape goat.

Yeah...for Dick Cheney and the rest of the Bush administration.

Why do you think Bush commuted his sentence?

What about sandy berger, he committed a worse crime, trying to cover up the truth. by destroying original documents..

Berger was tried and convicted. He did his sentence as ordered by the court with no Presidential intervention.

What's the problem?

When I consider that Sandy Berger was fined US$50,000, received 2 years probation and 100 hours of community service for actually violating the US Codes regarding classified material (a substantive crime); I find that Libby's sentence was excessive considering his convictions were only process crimes.

I think the US$250,000 fine and probation is appropriate. Regardless of how Libby's appeal of his convictions turns out, I hope this is the last action GWB takes WRT Libby's case.

Forum List

Back