Bush Castigates Iran, Calling Naval Confrontation ‘Provocative Act’

My perspective: People are making a big deal about nothing. So Iran wanted to do a little saber rattling. Luckily cool heads prevailed and cowboy diplomat Bush didn’t get trigger happy and tell our ship to blast them out of the water.

Again, Bush had no say. It was an immediate tactical situation. The Captain made the decision and it was over before Bush even knew.

Again, Bush had no say. It was an immediate tactical situation. The Captain made the decision and it was over before Bush even knew.

Had it become a standoff and had Bush been notified, he could have very well told our ship to shoot. Luckily, it did not happen like that. Aside from that the captain of our ship could have had an itchy trigger finger too. Luckily, he didn’t.

Had it become a standoff and had Bush been notified, he could have very well told our ship to shoot. Luckily, it did not happen like that. Aside from that the captain of our ship could have had an itchy trigger finger too. Luckily, he didn’t.

Under what conditions should that Captain been authorized to fire?

Here's video of the encounter, this site will not support video it seems, so you can go to the link. Figure out if it was 'close enough', 'too close.'

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2008/01/video-and-photo.html

I've seen the videos. What I do not know for certain is what the rules of engagement are for US ships in that area.... I also have never had to serve aboard a US warship (Army guys seldom do that) so I have nothing to base a judgement on whether or not the boats in question posed a danger to the US ships. Having said all that, based on what we know from the attack on the Cole it would seem to me that those Iranian boats could very well have been an imminent threat.

I've seen the videos. What I do not know for certain is what the rules of engagement are for US ships in that area.... I also have never had to serve aboard a US warship (Army guys seldom do that) so I have nothing to base a judgement on whether or not the boats in question posed a danger to the US ships. Having said all that, based on what we know from the attack on the Cole it would seem to me that those Iranian boats could very well have been an imminent threat.

I agree. With that said, reading through the comments at Blackfive, where many if not most are military, the fact the folks in the boats were wearing life jackets, argues against their being suicide bound. Just an aside.

I agree. With that said, reading through the comments at Blackfive, where many if not most are military, the fact the folks in the boats were wearing life jackets, argues against their being suicide bound. Just an aside.

Just speculation here but those life jackets could just as easily be packed with explosives as flotation material...

Just speculation here but those life jackets could just as easily be packed with explosives as flotation material...

Very true, at the same time, likelihood of explosives I would think would be the boats, ala USS Cole.

As far as I know, he can fire on his own. Luckily, he didn’t.

That was not the question....I am asking you your opinion on exactly what circumstances it would be acceptable for the captain of the ship to fire on those boats...what are your limits? It is obvious that you do not believe the film shows those boats to have been enough of a threat to engage them...so at what point, in your opinion, would it be acceptable to you for the captain of the US vessel to engage the Iranian boats?

That was not the question....I am asking you your opinion on exactly what circumstances it would be acceptable for the captain of the ship to fire on those boats...what are your limits? It is obvious that you do not believe the film shows those boats to have been enough of a threat to engage them...so at what point, in your opinion, would it be acceptable to you for the captain of the US vessel to engage the Iranian boats?

How would you feel if Iranian frigates or destroyers were patrolling 30km off the coast of South Carolina or Florida or Texas?

Speculation on your part. Just what kind og "standoff" do you see between a cruiser, destroyer and frigate, and some small torpedo boats?

If that was my battle group and I felt it was threatened in any way, I wouldn't hesitate to put those boats on the bottom.

All this bs on political boards and politicians calling names don't mean shit when you're on that ship. They're playing for blood, not oneupsmanship in a thread on a messageboard.

How would you feel if Iranian frigates or destroyers were patrolling 30km off the coast of South Carolina or Florida or Texas?
No different that I do about Russian Bear nuclear weapon equipped bombers flying just outside US airspace, and we do not shoot or charge at them. You know very well Doctor that US ships are in the Straits not to provoke Iran, but to ensure the safe passage of oil, almost none of which from the Gulf does the US import. Perhaps the New Zealand Navy would like to share in the work?

Speculation on your part. Just what kind og "standoff" do you see between a cruiser, destroyer and frigate, and some small torpedo boats?

The Iranians kept their distance. There was no attack. At most, they were just taunting and rattling their “sabers”. Shooting at them would not be warranted.

If that was my battle group and I felt it was threatened in any way, I wouldn't hesitate to put those boats on the bottom.

Your reaction would have probably resulted in many moderate Muslim groups putting their differences aside to unite against the America bully. It would have brought more enemies to compete against the USA in its “war on terrorism”. I am so glad that you were not at the helm.

Let’s not have another incident like:

Iran Air Flight 655

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

or the Ehime Maru and USS Greeneville collision

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehime_Maru_and_USS_Greeneville_collision

Didn't know they'd ever closed...
I assume you directed that at my post and not the delusional spam from erots. I did not say that the Straits had ever closed, I said they must be kept open. And I do not think it would be wise to leave the Straits to the good will of the Iranians.

this has nothing to do with the topic spammer! why don't you discuss other incidents of foreign patrol boats having incidents with u.s war ships like tonkin for example wouldn't that be more in keeping with the topic ?
No, it would not, nitwit. We are discussing an incident from the Persian Gulf that happened two days ago, not an incident from 45 years ago.

Forum List

Back