Bush blocks Rove's testimony

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Citing executive privilege, President George W. Bush on Wednesday rejected a subpoena for his close adviser Karl Rove to appear before to the Senate Judiciary Committee in a probe over fired federal prosecutors.

Bush's move sets up a possible court showdown between the White House and Democratic lawmakers, who have sought to force Rove and other Bush aides to testify about the firing last year of nine federal prosecutors. Critics say they were fired for political reasons.

"Mr. Rove, as an immediate presidential advisor, is immune from compelled congressional testimony about matters that arose during his tenure and that relate to his official duties in that capacity," White House Counsel Fred Fielding wrote in a letter to Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat. Leahy made the letter available to Reuters.

"It is a shame that this White House continues to act as if it is above the law. That is wrong," Leahy said in a statement. "The subpoenas authorized by this Committee in connection with its investigation into the mass firings of U.S. Attorneys and the corrosion of federal law enforcement by White House political influence deserve respect and compliance."

The committee had subpoenaed Rove to testify at a hearing on Thursday morning, along with another White House aide, deputy political director Scott Jennings.

Rove will not appear at the hearing, while Jennings will appear but not testify about the fired prosecutors, Fielding said. Fielding also said the White House would not hand over documents requested by the committee.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest_international.cfm?id=1202972007

This was to be expected.

However, it's sad that the Bush Administration needs to continue to take secrecy to a new level.

I was going to say the same thing. I disliked Bill Clinton because of his evasiveness and obstructive behavior. Now I see it well displayed by the Bush administration – from Cheney’s silence on his energy policy in the early days of the administration to today. Hide hide hide. Has there ever been an above-board transparent nothing-to-hide administration?

I was going to say the same thing. I disliked Bill Clinton because of his evasiveness and obstructive behavior. Now I see it well displayed by the Bush administration – from Cheney’s silence on his energy policy in the early days of the administration to today. Hide hide hide. Has there ever been an above-board transparent nothing-to-hide administration?

Every administration (to my knowledge) has used executive privilege to protect certain employees. But no administration has used it to this degree and ran such a gestapo administration.

Clinton was evasive, but at least he set new heights on allowing FOIA requests to be granted. That's a start.

Every administration (to my knowledge) has used executive privilege to protect certain employees. But no administration has used it to this degree and ran such a gestapo administration.

Clinton was evasive, but at least he set new heights on allowing FOIA requests to be granted. That's a start.

Other than in cases of attorney-client privilege, and in cases of the President or Vice President being asked to testify personally, I can't recall a single case in which executive privilege was used to keep a public employee from testifying before Bush. Clinton asserted it for his conversations with his own personal lawyer, but such conversations are privileged for all Americans - Bush wants to assert it for everyone who works for him.

Executive privilege, as it pertains to subpoenas for verbal testimony, only applies to the President and Vice President personally.

The President is guilty of obstructing justice and should be impeached for it. So should Rove. Not only that, they are both together guilty of conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice.

Other than in cases of attorney-client privilege, and in cases of the President or Vice President being asked to testify personally, I can't recall a single case in which executive privilege was used to keep a public employee from testifying before Bush. Clinton asserted it for his conversations with his own personal lawyer, but such conversations are privileged for all Americans - Bush wants to assert it for everyone who works for him.

Executive privilege, as it pertains to subpoenas for verbal testimony, only applies to the President and Vice President personally.

The President is guilty of obstructing justice and should be impeached for it. So should Rove. Not only that, they are both together guilty of conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice.

Let's get this party started--- Isn't it Congress who needs to get off their asses ? What's the hold up ?

Can you tell me just what any of these people who we pay a salary to does have to tell the peoples representatives?

Are they completely immune from any oversite of them?

Once a presedent appoinnts them they never have to tell anything about anything ever again?

Damn kinda makes you wonder about just what they could do with being resposible to NO ONE?

They can take the countries money , kill people , rape , pillage .....anything as long a GWB says its OK?

Can you tell me just what any of these people who we pay a salary to does have to tell the peoples representatives?

Once a presedent appoinnts them they never have to tell anything about anything ever again?

Damn kinda makes you wonder about just what they could do with being resposible to NO ONE?

They can take the countries money , kill people , rape , pillage .....anything as long a GWB says its OK?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh please---you gonna kill me here. :rofl:

I see your off your medication once again............

Let's get this party started--- Isn't it Congress who needs to get off their asses ? What's the hold up ?

The hold up on what? investigations? impeachment?

how can congress investigate anything if everyone that might have a worthwhile testimony is kept from testifying?

The only reason you would want to keep your boys from not talking to officials is that you have something to hide. Bush and Cheney seem afraid that perjury might occur. Plain and simple.

If you have nothing to hide, then show us that you're clean and testify.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Citing executive privilege, President George W. Bush on Wednesday rejected a subpoena for his close adviser Karl Rove to appear before to the Senate Judiciary Committee in a probe over fired federal prosecutors.

Bush's move sets up a possible court showdown between the White House and Democratic lawmakers, who have sought to force Rove and other Bush aides to testify about the firing last year of nine federal prosecutors. Critics say they were fired for political reasons.

"Mr. Rove, as an immediate presidential advisor, is immune from compelled congressional testimony about matters that arose during his tenure and that relate to his official duties in that capacity," White House Counsel Fred Fielding wrote in a letter to Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat. Leahy made the letter available to Reuters.

"It is a shame that this White House continues to act as if it is above the law. That is wrong," Leahy said in a statement. "The subpoenas authorized by this Committee in connection with its investigation into the mass firings of U.S. Attorneys and the corrosion of federal law enforcement by White House political influence deserve respect and compliance."

The committee had subpoenaed Rove to testify at a hearing on Thursday morning, along with another White House aide, deputy political director Scott Jennings.

Rove will not appear at the hearing, while Jennings will appear but not testify about the fired prosecutors, Fielding said. Fielding also said the White House would not hand over documents requested by the committee.

News - Scotsman.com

You fucking HYPOCRITES!!!!!

News - Scotsman.com

You fucking HYPOCRITES!!!!!
e05ddf60574606562061562.png

The Obama Attorney General is dodging accusations that the operation he approved of caused the death of a Border Patrol agent and you are still worrying about the firing of a couple prosecutors during the Bush administration?

Forum List

Back