Bush Apologizes

Dec 3, 2003
Fayetteville
WASHINGTON - President Bush (news - web sites) apologized Thursday for the abuse and humiliation of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. soldiers, saying the scenes of mistreatment had made Americans "sick to our stomachs."

A day after he stopped short of apologizing, Bush told Jordan's King Abdullah II: "I was sorry for the humiliation suffered by the Iraqi prisoners and the humiliation suffered by their families.

"I told him I was as equally sorry that people seeing those pictures didn't understand the true nature and heart of America," Bush said, standing in the Rose Garden alongside Abdullah.

The president's statement went beyond his comment Wednesday that the abuse of prisoners was "abhorrent" and "does not represent the America that I know."

His lack of an apology Wednesday was striking, and his spokesman said later that the president was sorry. Bush gave voice to that sentiment Thursday.

Scenes of mistreatment have been broadcast around the world, drawing international condemnation and prompting outrage in the Middle East. Bush said he discussed the pictures with Abdullah.

Bush said he told the king: "Americans like me didn't appreciate what we saw, and it makes us sick to our stomachs.

"I also made it clear to his majesty that the troops we have in Iraq (news - web sites) who were there for security and peace and freedom are the finest of the fine."

For his part, the king said, "We're all horrified by the images" of torture and abuse.

He said he was confident that American investigations would find the guilty parties. The abuse by some soldiers "doesn't reflect the morals and values" of the United States, Abdullah said.

Describing a meeting he had Wednesday with Rumsfeld, Bush said, "I told him I should have known about the pictures and the report" done by the Pentagon (news - web sites) two months ago. The president said he had assured Abdullah that "people will be brought to justice in a way commensurate to how our system works."
------------------------------------
Wow! I was sure Bush's policy of admitting no mistakes whatsoever was going to mean he wouldn't apologize, but I was wrong. I should also say that I do not believe it was by any means Bush's fault the abuse went on.

It's not Bush's fault, nor is it Rumsfield's fault. The people to blame are the soldiers who did this and their supervisors, up to the general who ran that prison (who was relieved).

Words are a delicate matter especially in dimplomatic matters. I see where President Bush says he is sorry for actions made by American soldiers. I do not see an apology, this reminds me of the spy plane downed in China the first few months of Bush's presidency. The same situation, he was sorry for the action but no formal "apology".

Yes, it was the right thing to do and I would support an apology from Rumsfeld, but his resignation is unnecessary. Let's hope W backs up his words with actions. I hope the media keeps us up-to-date on what happens to those soldiers who shamed us. A dishonorable discharge doesn't seem inappropriate and it would send a clear message that this will not be tolerated. Otherwise, we're no better than the animals who dragged American corpses through the streets in Fallujah.

Its a war.

When did any Arab, Muslim, or mideast nation apologize to the US for 911? We recieved their sympathies, but no apologies. Every OPEC nation that pumps oil out of the mideast was responsible in some part.

Militant muslims can bite me. I dont advocate the pictures are portraying, but it is a war and war sucks.

We arent there, close to someone an Iraqi has blown up with some cowardly car bound. Those in the prisons are unfortunately representative of the enemy. I cannot imagine much sympathy is forthcoming from the military prison guards. We are not dragging them through the streets, sound familar?

There is no real civility in war.

We dont get to see our boys and what is done to them. If we did, enlistment would likely rise along with a nationalism that would scare the Saudis out of their palaces.

Make no mistake, we are being civil, very civil for what we COULD do. Would they be as civil?

No. They were not civil. And that's why we're better than them. We apologize for our mistakes and act to correct them.

I have mixed feelings on this. Part of me is saying-so what,if they were American POW'sthey probably would have had their heads blown off or tongues cut out or something. Also,as someone said before,where was the outrage when those Americans were drug through the streets?

The other part of me,which must be a sign that I am definitely am American,feels it was wrong because we are better than them'don't do things like this.

I am however leaning toward not feeling too bad for this. If any of these prisoners had a chance,they would grab a soldiers gun and blow his head off. So they got humiliated. I don't think it was torture,and I know worse stuff than this had to have gone on in WW2 and other wars. Doesn't make it right,but none the less,it happened. I guess I just don't feel sorry for these men too much,I can't bring myself too other than that voice in my head that says this is kind of wrong. I guess that would be the conscience that OBL is always talking about.

As far as Bush apologizing-no way. I don't think he should have. My hubby is having a fit because he did and feels he owes no one an apology. Why should we apologize for the actions of a few,when as someone else said no one has apologized for 9-11,U.S.S. Cole? I am so sick and tired of being sh!t on by the world .Bush should not have apologized.

I feel Bush gave in on this one. He did not have to apologize to anyone. Do we demand apologies from School Teachers when students fail? NO! Do we demand apologies from Police chiefs when people commite murders or crimes in their towns? NO! Do we even demand an apology from Kerry on his admitted War atrocities that make this incident look like a High School hazing? NO!

Maybe we should ask for some apologies from everyone since everyone is demanding them now. Its all the rage to be outraged. Im still waiting for the apology from Al Queda for flying planes into our buildings. Im still waiting for the apology from those insurgents who were probably residents in a jail like this for killing civilian contractors and dragging their bodies through the streets. Im still waiting on the apology from France, Germany, Russia and the UN for lieing about their reasons for not going to War. When do i get my apology? Where does it end? Do we ask Clinton to apologize for all his mistakes? Carter? FDR? JFK?

Again its a non issue. Its been blown out of proportion in order to try and take a shot at the President. These congressmen could care less what happens to Rummy. If he resigns it means that the president is a failure in their eyes and thats what they are after.

So screw this apology business over this incident that wouldnt have even been brought to our attention had the military officials that were ALREADY INVESTIGATING IT not released the photos as part of standard procedure for military investigations.

calls for resignation are way too premature. 'the buck stops here' can make sense but only if any investigation leads to show that rumsfeld hid information or tried to sweep anything under the rug.

Its the political game, sucks ass big time. I'm not too hip on pelosi either although I kinda like rangel but I think he's losing his mind in his senility.

This kind of shit had to be expected though, which pisses me off even more about some of the politics that goes on. I swear, sometimes I think that if the people of this nation between the ages of 20 and 40 got together and could agree to replace the entire government body with fresh blood, we could do alot more good. It would be a good way to get rid of the animosity between the two parties.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I swear, sometimes I think that if the people of this nation between the ages of 20 and 40 got together and could agree to replace the entire government body with fresh blood, we could do alot more good. It would be a good way to get rid of the animosity between the two parties.

Sign me up (although 40 is approaching quick!). It just amazes me how quickly things denigrate into mudsulinging and the blame game. I agree, the partisan ship between the 2 major parties is so disgusting, it turns off so many voters. No wonder we have turn outs in the 30 -40 percent range......

This has been way too politicized.

Rangel, Pelosi, et al have no retribution to befall them for their statements. Kerry is a sorry candidate and has no where to go but up, no negative political consequences. If Rummy resigns, it will become a part of the next five months of campaigning for the dems.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
calls for resignation are way too premature. 'the buck stops here' can make sense but only if any investigation leads to show that rumsfeld hid information or tried to sweep anything under the rug.

Its the political game, sucks ass big time. I'm not too hip on pelosi either although I kinda like rangel but I think he's losing his mind in his senility.

This kind of shit had to be expected though, which pisses me off even more about some of the politics that goes on. I swear, sometimes I think that if the people of this nation between the ages of 20 and 40 got together and could agree to replace the entire government body with fresh blood, we could do alot more good. It would be a good way to get rid of the animosity between the two parties.

Term limits are needed. We can remove the seniality before it becomes a problem.

Forum List

Back