Bush and Blair for Nobel Peace Prize?

Isaac Brock

Sep 28, 2003
This one caught me a bit off guard. I can understand the reasoning why someone could support and justify Bush and Blair's war on Iraq and Afghanistan. However to say that they're spokesmodels for peace is incredulous at best.

...then again I do remember a certain Palestinian leader getting this prize. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1801773.stm

Nobel nomination for Bush and Blair

Observers say the pair are unlikely to win
predicting nominations for former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and architect Guy Tozzoli, who designed the World Trade Center.
UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and US President George W Bush have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by a Norwegian politician.
Harald Tom Nesvik, a member of the right-wing Party for Progress, said that he had nominated the two world leaders for fighting terrorism and promoting world peace.

"The background for my nomination is their decisive action against terrorism, something I believe in the future will be the greatest threat to peace," he told the Associated Press news agency.

"Unfortunately, sometimes... you have to use force to secure peace."

'Unlikely'

However observers say that the pair are unlikely to win the award because Bishop Gunnar Staalsett, one of five members of the secretive Nobel committee, has spoken out against the air strikes in Afghanistan.

The UN and its Secretary General Kofi Annan won the prize in 2001

Although the committee does not divulge the names of those nominated, those who put names forward may reveal their choices.

Mr Nevik has the ability to nominate because he is a member of a national legislature.

Nominations for the prize were due in to the Nobel awards committee by 1 February, however as long as they are posted before the date they can still be accepted.

Prestigious

The Nobel Peace prize, named after Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel, has been awarded in a glittering Oslo ceremony every October since 1901.

Last year a total of 126 individuals or organisations were nominated for the prestigious award, the winner of which receives just under $1 million.

It is expected that the events of 11 September will prove influential in this year's award, and some observers are

Last year the Nobel Peace Prize was won by the United Nations and its Secretary General, Kofi Annan.

Originally posted by jimnyc
That's awesome! LOL

I hope one of them wins! Can you imagine all the whining then? :laugh:

What a crazy world we would live in indeed! :D

Originally posted by Zhukov
They may as well give posthumously to Hitler for all I believe it's worth.

It does seem to be the most political of the prizes... seems to be the playground of politicians who are in the media spotlight.

Originally posted by jones
What peace?
:rolleyes:

HAHAHAHAHA

You whine all year long about Bush and his conspiracies and now he gets nominated for the Nobel peace prize. YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW!

Nominated by the same foaming at the mouth guy who nominates him every chance he can.

Still, I don't see ANY peace in what Bush is doing.

War is peace to you right?

Originally posted by jones
Nominated by the same foaming at the mouth guy who nominates him every chance he can.

Still, I don't see ANY peace in what Bush is doing.

War is peace to you right?

I believe the ultimate goal is to achieve peace. Sometimes war is a necessary evil to get there.

Originally posted by jimnyc
I believe the ultimate goal is to achieve peace. Sometimes war is a necessary evil to get there.

Unfortunately, the "war on terrorism" has no enemy with fixed borders. The enemy melts into the general populace. The enemy deals with parties around the globe to carry out its missions. A war on terrorism is a war without end. The ends seldom justify the means.

Deal with the root causes of terrorism...poverty, ignorance, hopelesness, oppression, and you will kill an entire generation of terrorists without ever firing a shot. Unfortunately, you will always have those pathologic personalites who are unhappy unless they hold the reigns, and will do anything to gain and hold power. Them you shoot like the rabid dogs they are.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Deal with the root causes of terrorism...poverty, ignorance, hopelesness, oppression, and you will kill an entire generation of terrorists without ever firing a shot. Unfortunately, you will always have those pathologic personalites who are unhappy unless they hold the reigns, and will do anything to gain and hold power. Them you shoot like the rabid dogs they are.

The "root causes" you cite would be driven away with the weapons of Capitalism and Democracy, which we are in the middle of establishing in Iraq.

Forum List

Back