Bush and Blair did strike Iraq deal, says Welsh MP

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
WalesOnline - News - Wales News - Bush and Blair did strike Iraq deal, says Welsh MP

A SENIOR Welsh MP said last night he knew “for certain” Tony Blair and George Bush struck a deal to invade Iraq at their notorious Crawford Ranch meeting in 2002 – a year before war was declared

Elfyn Llwyd, Plaid Cymru’s parliamentary leader, said he had seen a confidential memo to that effect, although he would not divulge its exact contents.

Critics of the military action in Iraq have long suspected Mr Blair and President Bush came to an agreement at the president’s ranch in Crawford, Texas in April 2002, a claim Mr Blair denied in evidence to the Chilcot Inquiry last week.

Mr Llwyd said he had offered to give evidence to the Chilcot Inquiry himself, in private if necessary.

The Meirionnydd Nant Conwy MP said: “I think other things should have been pursued [at the inquiry], in particular the detailed conversation at the ranch in Crawford in April 2002.

“I do know that the deal was struck, I know for certain it was struck at that stage so just to pretend months down the road that no deal had been struck I think is unforgivable.

“I have offered to give evidence and Chilcot has said ‘I’ll come back to you’. At that stage I will have private discussions with him.”

Ms Short, who resigned later that year and has since left the Labour Party, told the panel the Attorney General “misled” the Government over the case for war.

She said she was not aware of Lord Goldsmith’s “doubts and his changes of opinion” over the issue.

Lord Goldsmith gave legal advice before Britain committed to going to battle against Saddam Hussein in March 2003.

Ms Short said: “I think he misled the Cabinet. He certainly misled me, but people let it through.”

In light of Lord Goldsmith’s “doubts and his changes of opinion” that have since emerged, Ms Short added: “I think for the Attorney General to come and say there’s unequivocal legal authority to go war was misleading.”

Ms Short claimed Lord Goldsmith was “leaned on” by former Prime Minister Tony Blair to agree that the war was legal.

:eusa_think: Thoughts?

Last edited:
so a year before the invasion the invaders got together and agreed to make a plan to invade.....shocking.....i figured bush decided on a sunday and invaded on monday....

Why won't he divulge the exact contents of the confidential memo?? Put up or shut up.

Why won't he divulge the exact contents of the confidential memo?? Put up or shut up.

they planned a war for a yera before launching it....big deal.....sadam had been violating un resolutions for eight years....clinton was too busy getting blow jobs to notice that or anything bin laden had been doing for 8 years.....

Probably could go to jail for divulging those sort of details to the public I'd assume.

they planned a war for a yera before launching it....big deal.....sadam had been violating un resolutions for eight years....clinton was too busy getting blow jobs to notice that or anything bin laden had been doing for 8 years.....

This is a big deal.

Also, I guess you missed the part where Iraq was bombed weekly if not daily during Clinton's time in office. Of which I totally disagree with considering how many civilians were killed.

And he noticed Bin Laden too.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/laden.htm

so a year before the invasion the invaders got together and agreed to make a plan to invade.....shocking.....i figured bush decided on a sunday and invaded on monday....

It gave them a year to put together a strategy they could sell to the US and British people. They hadn't made one up yet.

It gave them a year to put together a strategy they could sell to the US and British people. They hadn't made one up yet.

seems like a reasonable amount of time.....

This is a big deal.

Also, I guess you missed the part where Iraq was bombed weekly if not daily during Clinton's time in office. Of which I totally disagree with considering how many civilians were killed.

And he noticed Bin Laden too.

FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitive - Usama Bin Laden

i am well aware that a no fly zone was in place during the blow job years.....our response to wtc i, the col, nigeria, somalia, were interesting to say the least.....once bush got in office clinton's appointees tennant and clarke sure pushed the wmd slam dunk invasion info pretty hard.....and bush and blair bit and spent a year planning an invasion.....

obama was planning to add troops to afganistan before he was even elected....big deal...

obama was planning to add troops to afganistan before he was even elected....big deal...

We were already at war with the Taliban when Obama was planning to add troops. To equate the two is not only illogical but dishonest.

Besides, Obama was only doing something that Bush ignored largely during his Administration. The order for more troops sat on the Bush Administration's desk for almost a year if I recall reading correctly.

Why is this nafarious? Don't countries have a right to make decisions about what they are about to do?

We were already at war with the Taliban when Obama was planning to add troops. To equate the two is not only illogical but dishonest.

Besides, Obama was only doing something that Bush ignored largely during his Administration. The order for more troops sat on the Bush Administration's desk for almost a year if I recall reading correctly.

you will agree we were already at war with Iraq when Bush took office then?

that sounds like war to me. or are you going to call it a "police action" or conflict?

War would require the other side fighting in some form. Iraq was bluffing about WMDs for a number of years to keep Iran off their back.

you will agree we were already at war with Iraq when Bush took office then?

We weren't. We were bombing the fuck out of Iraq though.
You don't understand, a lot of people don't.

It comes down to this:

We never ended the 1991 war.

It was a ceasefire.

Bush sr, moron that he was, never had a plan for the peace, he hoped it was somehow just 'work out' and it never did.

Clinton couldn't withdraw our forces from Kuwait and Saudi arabia( which was a major Bin laden complaint BTW) until Saddam complied with certain UN resolutions about disarming. Saddam for his part was playing a shell game, he needed the TREAT of WMD to maintain control of Iraq and keep the iranians and Syrians at bay, but he couldn't get US or UN help, so he decided to 'fake it.'

When Bush II became POTUS, Islamic terroism had been ratched up considerably after a number of sucessful attaks (Kober towers is SA, USS Cole, Kenya) and then came 9/11.

Saddam meanwhile had been buying off key UN people with oil vouchers and he knew the snactions against Iraq's noncompliance would not be renewed, it was just a matter of waiting until 2004.

So Bush and Blair had a choice, let the sanctions pass, withdraw their armies and give Saddam a victory to replace the 1991 failure, or invade and remove saddam.

They decided to invade, but they needed a pretext that the western public would accept, so they settled on WMD to terrorists.

We all know the rest of it.

Forum List

Back