Burris Question By Ill House Committee

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Most definitely interesting. Was listening to the q & a on my way home from school. Most interesting part I heard was that it was Blago's criminal defense attorney who called and offered the seat to Burris the 26th.

2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I have to believe that choosing Burris was, in great part, an attempt to show that Blago was in fact not seeking something in return for the Senate appointment. The choice of Burris is a good one, and Burris is as clean as a whistle.

From what I have read, all of Blago's conversations that had been taped were generalizations of how the Senate appointment could be worth something in return. However, as of yet, I have heard zero evidence that Blago actually sought to make a deal with anyone. If this is the case, then Blago's defense would obviously be that all the statements he made were in jest, and that there never was any real intention to seek out anything in return for the appointment.

Without any actual evidence that Blago actually sought something in return for the appointment, he's going to walk away from this.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think so, as one in Illinois, I hope not. You may be correct on the senate seat, but the corruption of this man knows no bounds. If you are from out of state, you haven't a clue to what it's like here. That is not something suddenly discovered, this man is not Boss Tweed, loved by the people. He's been ripping Illinoisans off for years and they know it.

Problem was and is that we don't have a two party system in Il, we only have 'the machine,' and it's not confined to Chicago:

Related:

Obama serves Reid taste of Chicago Way -- chicagotribune.com

and the man is not an idiot:

For sheer brazenness, nobody surpasses Rod -- chicagotribune.com

4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Loved that! Here's probably the best thing I've seen written about 'Chicago Politics, though she thinks the problem is Reid. Lots of links at site:

Jane Hamsher: I Want To Play Poker With Harry Reid

6. RoadVirus

RoadVirus <insert pithy title here>

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +583
    This article makes me question that.