Burbidge dead

• Banned
Geoffrey Burbidge, an English physicist who became a towering figure in astronomy by helping to explain how people and everything else are made of stardust, died on Jan. 26 in San Diego. He was 84.

Geoffrey Burbidge, Who Traced Life to Stardust, Is Dead at 84 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com

This is, of course, old news to me, but I'm glad you posted it. What a great life he had. RIP.

i don't keep up as much as i once did. he really was quite a guy.

the notion that we are all "star dust" just really made things fall into place for me when i was a much younger man.
RIP

Geoffrey Burbidge, an English physicist who became a towering figure in astronomy by helping to explain how people and everything else are made of stardust, died on Jan. 26 in San Diego. He was 84.

Geoffrey Burbidge, Who Traced Life to Stardust, Is Dead at 84 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com

This is, of course, old news to me, but I'm glad you posted it. What a great life he had. RIP.

i don't keep up as much as i once did. he really was quite a guy.

the notion that we are all "star dust" just really made things fall into place for me when i was a much younger man.
RIP

My first major hobby was Astronomy and I read a lot about Burbidge. I almost met him once while I was in College. One of my Physics Professors was doing work at Kitt Peak Observatory and Burbidge was there. I was going to visit, but I arrived after he had gone. That was a long time ago. Am I really that old???

Yep those who live by the tube shall die by the tube.

You know, there was a time when people reading books was considered dangerous too. :eusa_whistle:

so we need to have TV burnings?

However fun aside.
TV is nothing like reading a book.

Totally depends on whether you are watching something like "Planet Earth" on Discovery HD or reruns of Jackass. 90% of the time that my TV is on, it is tuned to History Channel, National Geographic, Science Channel or Discovery. I've learned a hell of a lot more about geology, astronomy, physics, engineering, other cultures, etc. than I have thru school or reading books. That being said, I have absolutely nothing agianst reading a good book. I just get a kick out of TV snobs who can't appreciate embracing newer technology for educational purposes.

You know, there was a time when people reading books was considered dangerous too. :eusa_whistle:

so we need to have TV burnings?

However fun aside.
TV is nothing like reading a book.

Totally depends on whether you are watching something like "Planet Earth" on Discovery HD or reruns of Jackass. 90% of the time that my TV is on, it is tuned to History Channel, National Geographic, Science Channel or Discovery. I've learned a hell of a lot more about geology, astronomy, physics, engineering, other cultures, etc. than I have thru school or reading books. That being said, I have absolutely nothing agianst reading a good book. I just get a kick out of TV snobs who can't appreciate embracing newer technology for educational purposes.
Yes, but most of us do not use the TV like you and I do.
Like you I watch mostly educational types of shows with some Sci-fi and movies thrown in.

I never liked sickcoms and such or the surreality trash.

I'll take English physicists for $500.

An English physicist who became a towering figure in astronomy by helping to explain how people and everything else are made of stardust, died on Jan. 26 in San Diego. He was 84.

Who is Geoffrey Burbidge?

RIGHT YOU ARE, XOTOXI!!!

trebek.jpg

Forum List

Back